“Clueless staff”

Restaurant Mystique
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stopped at the motel where this restaurant is on our way back to Sydney..
I actually read all the previous reviews before deciding to give it a try
The restaurant itself is set up nice enough but for us there wasn't much more !!
I had tequila prawns ($17) entree for 6 pre frozen prawns and chopped up corn and capsicum with tequila swimming on the plate... Husband had 1/2 dozen oysters Kilpatrick ($19) not bad.!!
Main.. All priced over $30
I opted for an entree ($17) pork and duck salad this came out as an appetiser size I have only seen bowls that small used for dips etc.... Husband ordered seafood paella ($40) this came out in a huge bowl and was actually a risotto !!! The rice was wet and creamy not anything like paella... The seafood was a mix of frozen and fresh and 2 of the 6 mussels hadn't opened.!!!!
I brought the fact up to the front of house staff member and was told "oh I will let the kitchen know"
Our full dinner experience lasted 50 minutes and that included wine !!!
When I went to pay the bill I questioned the unopened mussels... A man who was dining at the only other table of customers in the place came over to help the waitress with the till and got quite annoyed with me questioning the mussels....

He told me "that was just a couple that we forgot to open for you, it's an old wives tale that you can't eat those !!" When I informed him I was actually a chef and would never serve unopened mussels he got very cranky with me and through his hands up and told the woman to take the $40 off the bill
What terrible customer service... All I wanted was an apology and maybe $5 off ... This restaurant is over priced and the front of house staff have no customer service skills... What a shame

7  Thank Michoy

Reviewed March 26, 2013

word had got to the restaurant that we were celebrating an anniversary and a delightful card was waiting at our table. The staff were very pleasant and welcoming and we really enjoyed the range of food offered. We had to share a dessert because our two first courses were so satisfying and delicious! A lovely find!

1  Thank oolie
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Brilliant service! And food to die for made my experience in Eden great and definitely be back again soon.

2  Thank David G
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Some visitors to Australia may not understand our sense of humour. I believe that to be the case with the comment from Prattlecette. If they understood the friendly rivalry between Victoria and NSW they would have known that the comment about the beer was not said venomously but rather humorously albeit dry humour.
Don't change Rodney. You make an evening at Mystique entertaining.
Once again tonight we had a superb dinner.
The feedback from the customers I recommend Mystique to is always positive.
One more comment I can't understand is in regards to the decor. Certainly more middle eastern than 1950's. Dark? A more adequately description would have to be intimate. Pricing? Definitely a reflection on the cost of fresh local seafood and quality produce.
Finally, Great Chef, lovely atmosphere and really friendly owners. Love their motto "arrive as guests, leave as friends." :)

1  Thank damseldi
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great good, great ambiance, even better cocktails! Very surprising find, don't be fooled by the motel's exterior. Definitely the best dining option in this part of the world.

2  Thank Leah S