“Great cocktails”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Great cocktails”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great good, great ambiance, even better cocktails! Very surprising find, don't be fooled by the motel's exterior. Definitely the best dining option in this part of the world.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Leah S

Toronto, Canada
“Mixed feelings about this one”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I agree that this is a good dining option in Eden. The restaurant is not on the street, and feels very old fashioned with its heavy curtains, old style lighting and dark carpets, and ordinary furniture. 1950s finest style, but definitely needs updating. The food was pretty good. But what horrified me was the waiter, who may be an owner according to another reviewer, so I guess this feedback will go nowhere! When we were talking about beers, my husband asked about a VB (Victoria Bitter). The waiter, who had already demonstrated that he does not have the ease or style to work in this level of restaurant, said somewhat venomously "we call it vomit beer". That word vomit, said in that old-style fine-dining environment, echoed through the entire evening for me and let's say that it did not enhance the experience. So I can't give it more than 3 on an overall basis. I found it somewhat overpriced, too.

• Visited March 2013
Bristol, UK
“An entertaining evening”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We visited Mystique on Valentines night when they were offering a set menu of 3 courses and a glass of fizz for $50, which is very reasonable.
The food was of a good standard with a varied menu and some creative dishes that made the most of local ingredients.
The restaurant was very busy as it was Valentines night and as a result the service was a little hectic at times, but it was quick and friendly. I got the impression that they were under a bit more pressure than usual due to the large number of diners eating at the same time, which may have explained the slightly more rushed service. That said they were cheerful and friendly throughout.
They had a live musician on the night, who was good, but only played a few songs in the 2 hours that we were there, which left the room lacking background atmosphere in the long breaks between bursts.

Overall Mystique was a good place to eat and we enjoyed our food, but I have a feeling that on a normal evening when the staff were not so rushed it would be excellent.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank bwrb30
“A hidden gem that needs exposing!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This was such a lovely find during our trip, having spent days eating fish and chips and good old fashioned pub grub along the coastline we were very surprised to stumble upon Mystique which proved to be a fine dining experience at a very reasonable price.
The owners were the front of house staff and they do an excellent job of making you feel welcome. They maybe aren't as 'refined' in their service style as other front of house staff at a fine dining venue, however I personally would rather have somebody serving me that is passionate with a genuine interest in ensuring that you are having a great evening that an over informed waiter telling me the history of the salt on the table.

My partner and I agree that the food was on par with Rick Steins restaurant (which we visited three nights ago) at Bannisters and cost a lot less; however you dont get the view that you get at Bannisters.
It was a great evening with great food!

2 Thank Tracyanddonald
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious”
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Lovely meal beautifully presented. Seafood Paella was very tasty. Eye fillet steak slightly overcooked but vegetables cooked to perfection so overall whole meal Very enjoyable. Affogatto dessert - ice cream with espresso and Kalua a favourite. Good selection of wines - Garfish Shiraz very smooth. Hosts very friendly and professional.

1 Thank Paulineeh1