“A Piece of Heaven in the Gaspe, Angels to Care for your every need.”

La Maison William Wakeham
Ranked #11 of 11 Gaspe B&B and Inns
Waterloo, Canada
“A Piece of Heaven in the Gaspe, Angels to Care for your every need.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

Hello Desmond Ogden & Staff :
I am emailing you to send my Thanks to you and your Staff members. At La Maison William Wakeham
We stayed at your Auberge last year in July 2009 for 2 nights. My brother had liver Cancer and was only allowed to eat organic or natural foods.
He so much enjoyed the food and your place with the pine logs and the fireplace the Moose Head was of great discussion.
My family is one of the original eight families to be from the Douglastown. Lenny was the Son of Thomas Walsh and Clothilda Bolduc. I know you are booked well in advance , but I truly do appreciate that you let me be there that weekend to be with my brother as this was our special time together in our Hometown Gaspe.
I tried to say good bye to you that morning I choked up in tears …it was all so perfect I just wanted to freeze this time to never end. .
We are all here on the earth for a leased time and borrow all that we have : must give it back when we receive our one way ticket. We do take what is in our hearts and soul…Mr. Desmond you were my Angel this world is such a better place because of men like you. so kind and understanding, to be such an awesome cook…Your place is so special. Making history as well as preserving it…
I truly want to say I was so pleased to have these cherished memories with my brother Lenny & our family together. It is of great sadness My brother Lenny Walsh passed away in Feb. 02 , 2010. I will go back to stay at your place a piece of Heaven .Your Staff ae true Angels work so hard to please and your food is to die for..I mean it in a memorable way!! I dream of the summer I will be back..Thank you
LA Rustique

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank whitebuterfly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pittsfield, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

This was the best food we had during our 2 week trip to Gaspe Pennisula...truly outstanding. The restaurant is not inexpensive but totally worth it. Save somewhere else and spluge here. (Warning: portions are big and food is so good, you may overeat!)We spent 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. Room was clean, nice, with a view of the river; owner and staff helpful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelgal099
Montreal, Quebec
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

I was quite excited when I booked the room "La Rustique" at La Maison William Wakeham. The website looks great and we decided to treat ourselves by booking the best room at the auberge.
The room itself is spacious and beautiful. Everything was great at the beginning. However, we quickly noticed some small problems. The room was not very clean. And, the breakfast was not great either. However, we did not mind so much, especially being amazed by the room itself.
The next morning, I was about to change. All of a sudden, I saw someone passing by the front door. Then, I realized that the front door of the room is see through (don't ask me why!). The reason we never noticed this at the beginning was because the room is in a separate building and the receptionist told us that we have our own private corridor. As it turned out, the corridor is not private and anyone could pass by that corridor and look into the room!!!
I complained to the auberge the first morning and they promised to ensure that the corridor would remain private. The next morning, the same thing happened again when a stranger passed by the corridor!!!
The worst thing is that when I complained to the owner of the auberge, I did not get a feeling that he truly felt apologetic.
It is very unfortunate that I have to give such a low rating to this property. It has a lot of potential being really good. But, the service is just terrible.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Meli_Montreal

Travelers are raving about these Gaspe hotels

Mannheim
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed at the Maison William Wakeham for one night in July. The historic house is charming, especially the dining room with wood panels. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the room "La Romantique". The room was very nice, in line with the romantic theme, and had all amenities one would expect from a 3 star hotel. The bed was comfortable . The room, the bathroom, and the restaurant were clean and well kept. We ate at the restaurant and enjoyed the food, although we thought that it was a tad overpriced. Breakfast was good. One slight minor point was the live music concert in a nearby hotel or bar, which we could hear clearly. It did stop before midnight and we had nonetheless a good night's sleep. The hotel cannot change that, and it was Saturday night. If you are going to Gaspé or the nearby Parc Forillon, this is a good place to stop for the night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Springbank_21
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

La Maison Wakeham is a perfect place to spend a few days in Gaspe!
The house is charming, the rooms are clean, and the food is really excellent. Desmond is a wonderful host. He loves his inn and the area and it shows.
Try the Chambre de la reine (queen's room) for a special occasion or book one of the rooms upstairs, you can't go wrong.
Forillon National Park is just 20 minutes away for hiking, whale watching, etc.
La Maison Wakeham will make your stay more memorable.

• Liked — Charming
  • Disliked — Lack of good lighting
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple