“Disapointing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Croyde
Mitchum's Campsites
Ranked #8 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Croyde
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I have been a keen Croyde camper for a few years now- the place is FANTASTIC….great beach, great atmosphere, great locals, great pubs and a bunch of great campsites

I have always been fairly impressed with Mitchums- having stayed at both their village site and the beach site numerous times. The campsite is a good clean basic site (if not slightly overpriced) and I haven’t had a bad experience with it in many visits.

Imagine my disappointment when the owner Guy, refused (in quite an abrupt and aggressive manner on the phone) to negotiate on a full or part refund when I was unable to uphold the booking due to a grandparent being diagnosed with terminal cancer, likely to pass away that weekend. It was a 4 person booking and my other three colleagues were unable to get down due to lack of transport (I was the only one with the car). Guy broke no contract by this refusal, but I would have hoped he would adhere to the friendly and compassionate attitude of all other Croyde locals I have met across the years.

This cost me £130, which I’m sure is little in the bigger picture of Guy Mitchum’s summer takings, but unfortunately NOT little where my bank balance is concerned.

Very VERY disappointing to see that Guy is focused solely on the money in his pocket and cannot spare some compassion for those that really matter- his customers.

I, unfortunately, will be camping elsewhere on my future visits.

Gareth Atkinson
Cheltenham

Stayed: July 2009

Reviewed June 20, 2007

My friends and i stayed at both of Mitchums campsites last summer and they were fab.

In June we stayed at their site near the village. The three of us hadn't really camped or surfed before but the crew were great even helping us with our tent when they realised how clueless we were. They answered all our silly questions about Croyde, camping and surfing and always with a smile.

The shower and toilet facilities were always clean what ever time of day or night we used them. The water was hot and there was always loo paper.

The rules stop you from partying on the site, so it might not be for everyone, but with the pubs just a few minutes away that wasn't an issue. We loved the fact that after a night out we could get back for a good nights sleep and feel safe. (We had heared horror stories from friends of another site where the public had access to roam through it and people partyed loudly all night everynight, ideal for teens but not for us)

In August we visited Croyde again and stayed at their other site by the beach. It was great, we were welcomed back like old friends which was lovely. The site is not quite as handy for the pubs but who cares with those views. We went to sleep at night with the sound of the surf in the back ground. We were just minutes from the beach with our surfboards!

It is obvious that they have got things right as so many people we spoke to returned to the site several times each summer and year after year. They didn't accept children or big groups but otherwise everyone else seemd to get a warm welcome.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends