“Some of the greatest times”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Croyde
Mitchum's Campsites
Ranked #8 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Croyde
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have been staying at mitchums meadow nearly every summer ever since I was 14, so nearly half my life. I have never had a bad experience of either the camp site facilities or the saff who run it. In fact Guy (the owner) is a lovely man who deals with all customers fairly and keeps other guests feelings in mind particularly if people are making excessive noise late at night so that everyone around can still have a good stay. Guys daughter Faye is a wonderful manager who run the site with the sensitivity and common sense, she was very helpful and friendly to my group..

Both sites are well situated, close to the village and the beach, my personal favourite would be mitchums meadow purely because you can hear the surf from your tent at night and see it as soon as you wake up. All the facilities are cleaned regularly and maintained to a high standard which is a credit to the staff because they get a lot of use.

I have read some of the other reviews and most are accurate apart from those few negative ones. However as someone who has spent a lot of time there I can probably describe the type of people that wrote them without ever having seen them. Cocky, arrogant city folk who aren't used to being told to abide by rules for the common interest of others staying there. Believe me these are not the type of people that you want to camp next to. So I'm glad they say they will go elsewhere.

If you are looking for a friendly holiday venue, run by people who believe that respect for ones neighbours isn't to much to ask then Mitchums is the place for you. If you want to come back really drunk, shouting and being agro then this isn't the place to book.

Hope this helps, enjoy you stay. Vince

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vince H

Reviewed September 11, 2012

As a group of 6 young professionals my friends and I booked into the beach site, where we were told that the beach site wasn't going to be open in August this year. No apology was offered, just the email explaining the situation. Upon arrival at 9pm on a Friday night we were requested to pay a £30 cash "behaviour bond", which wasn't mentioned on the website or in the email. We were also told that we couldn't have a tent that was big enough to stand in, also omitted from the website. Our tent was big enough to stand in but fit in the site nicely so the staff mentioned nothing.
Our biggest concern, being down in the area to surf (as were most people on the campsite) we were kept awake by a group of noisy drunk students, screaming, laughing at the top of their voices and vomiting in the hedge until gone 1am. When we questioned the staff about their late night noise policy they said that 12.30am was when their "lights-out" policy kicked in. However, we found that 12.30am was far too late and none of their staff seemed willing to enforce any of their policies regarding their behaviour bond. However the facilities offered were kept in good condition, but the SS-like over-bearing attitude of the staff made it an uncomfortable place to stay. We certainly won't be staying there again and recommend any surfing groups look elsewhere for their trips.

Room Tip: Upper field for small cars/solo tents/ 2 or 3 people max, this is closer to the main hut so more lik...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Matt D
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed at Mitchums village site for the 3 nights on the August bank holiday. Yes, there are plenty of rules to abide by, but we were made aware before booking, and it did make it a very clean, tidy and quiet campsite. Too many times have I been woken camping by rowdy drunks, or noisy children than get up at 6am. The only issue I had was the size of the pitches, as everyone was allocated only half a pitch. Yes you can only take a 2/3 person tent, but even this does not allow for much space to sit outside your tent as your car must also be parked on your half pitch of the pitch The first night we were ok, but then the second night more people turned up and 2 people were allocated either side of us. The campsite wasn't even full and there were other plots free to space people out more. Personally I would stay elsewhere on my next visit visit to Croyde due to the small pitches. I prefer a bit of privacy when camping and bit more outside space to cook and sit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

If you have read the reviews and think that you like the idea of cleanlieness and rules, THINK AGAIN. I read all of the reviews on Mitchum's campsites before booking and have to admit that I was more than happy to book onto a site which promised clean toilets, security to stop people wandering onto the site, no partying, and rules. In truth the camp site delivered on the cleanliness of the toilets which were well stocked with toilet paper, soap and paper towels. The security was certainly vigilent and providing you don't mind being under constant observation it felt safe. All of this was not sufficient to make up for the arrival of a person who has been described in other reviews as a tyrant who demanded that all tents be moved and re-pitched every two days. I had only booked in for four nights which really was only three days as I arrived on the evening before the first night and had to leave by 10.30 on the morning after the last night. Even this short booking did not stop the 'tyrant' sending his staff to ask me to re-pitch the tent, when I refused (as it was not in the rules and I would not have booked a camp site for four days knowing I had to move the tent every two days) he then came over and asked me to move the tent. I explained we were leaving in less than 24 hours but his rudeness when I refused to re-pitch the tent knew no bounds. I am sure that there will be some excuse given by the site that the ground conditions were such that it was vital the tents were re-pitched (As a lawn enthusiast I can see no reason) I overheard him telling the staff to make sure everyone knew as they came in that they would need to re-pitch their tent every two days. I can not reccomend a campsite where you have to constantly re-pitch your tent. Although maybe I am in the minority as everyone else on the site dutifully emptied out their tents, took out the tent pegs, moved the ground sheet and then re-pitched their tents every two days.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gill H
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at MItchum's village site for the fourth time this weekend (4th August) for two nights and enjoyed it as much as ever.

The facilities are fantastic and by far the cleanest and most hygeinic we have ever used. The site has great washing up facilities, cold wet suit showers, surf hire, hot showers and electricity points in the ladies changing. It is well lit and feels safe with security working through the night every night.

The village campsite has fantastic views and, although it is just off the main road down to the beach, it is quiet and uninterupted. The campsite does have quite a few rules regarding the behaviour of campers but they are all fairly enforced. The staff are fair, friendly and good fun but work very hard to ensure that everyone has a good stay.

The Village site is a 2 minute walk to the pubs and shops and the beach is 3/4 mile away.

We will definitely be staying here again!!

Room Tip: Check your tent height with the staff before your trip!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lorna T
Reviewed June 19, 2012

All that this camp site is missing is the barbed wire fence and a 5 meter exclusion zone around it's perimeter! The terms and conditions on the website do not go into anywhere near enough detail.......if your looking for a friendly experience I suggest you book a week when the owner is away.......never have I seen such an egotistical tyrant! He talks to the visitors and staff in exactly the same way...."Stop that, don't do this" and god forbid if you try and wash your wellies in the outside tap provided......there were a variety of signs appearing over the weekend to protect his beloved decking......for goodness sake, this is a camp site, not a prize winning show garden!
We should have known better as the first sign you meet on arrival is not a "Welcome to Mitchums.....please report to reception"...oh no....you are greeted with "All new arrivals and visitors MUST report to reception" with the MUST in capitals and underlined. This was our first taste of how the weekend would progress! Don't get me wrong....if you want somewhere with immaculate decking, grass like a bowling green and toilets so clean you could probably eat off them (although if you tried, there would be a sign put up afterwards so you didn't try it again)....then this is the place for you. You will, however, have to be immaculately presented, obviously leave your muddy wellies at the gate and ignore the way the owner treats his staff. We overheard him talking to a lovely lady working there and quite frankly I wouldn't talk to a dog the way he spoke. You get the impression that the lovely, welcoming staff are even nicer to try and compensate for this man's rudeness. Quite frankly, I begrudge the thought that the money I paid for this weekend has gone into the pockets of such a man and next year all our group will be going elsewhere for Oceanfest ((whoops, forgot to mention you are not allowed to book groups either, so make sure you and your mates don't camp next to each other or talk to each other whilst on site, or you'll be off!).....and one more thing....it is mentioned in the T & C's but never experienced it before......don't bring a tent you can stand up in...you will have to take it down and "rent" one of his little two man tents....so be warned. Just one positive that may come out of this.....by next year I wouldn't be surprised if this guy has got a rain exclusion zone over his site to protect his decking further, in which case that would have proved handy on this wet and windy weekend!!!

I would like to add that the above slating of this campsite does NOT (capitals and underlined!!!) reflect in any way to the staff working on the site. They were all lovely, extremely helpful and quite frankly far too nice to work for such a dictator who deserves to be running a thrid world uprising rather than a campsite! I can only think that any of the decent reviews of this site MUST (capitals and underlined again) have been while the owner was away

Room Tip: I haven't rated the service as this would be misleading....for all the staff, especially the cou...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Hannah F
Views1234, Manager at Mitchum's Campsites, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

The report to reception for new arrivals and visitors is a general request on most campsites, this is for the safety of those people already staying with regard to belongings and children. The tap you are refering to is used for filling drinking water containers, I am sure those people wishing to use it for its intended purpose, probably want to do so with out the addition of mud.

The grass, decking and shower blocks are kept immaculate because generally our customers prefer to stay at a campsite with these standards. Those people wishing to mistreat the campsite and therfore spoiling others enjoyment, would be best staying at other campsites where the showers are filthy and security does not exist.

Everyone booking at the campsite are asked to read the terms and conditions and therfore avoid dissaponitment with regard to how they wish to conduct themselves. As the saying goes one mans meat is another mans poison.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We live locally and regularly camp in Croyde. Whilst the site is OK is poor in comparison with others around. You are made to feel like you are in a prison at this site with so many rules and good luck to you if you step out of line!!! The staff are so rude and obnoxious. Also the town location makes it hard if you want to hire boards and go surfing. If you are looking for a fun, laid back camping experience check out Ruda. So much better, we would never ever go back to Mitchums and are distgusted that such people own a site in Devon.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Emily S
Views1234, Manager at Mitchum's Campsites, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Everyone staying at Mitchums are aware of the site rules for everyones enjoyment. When women shower in the mens block A this is unfair on the men and B how easy is it would be for the women to say that they have been assaulted! So for everyones safety these women were told to leave the mens showers!! This is a busy weekend as it is The Gold Coast festival all campers are aware of this when booking.