“So good we came back for a whole week”

Croyde Surf Academy
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Croyde
More attraction details
Owner description: OPEN ALL YEAR - Providing comprehensive Surf & S.U.P. Lessons & Hire from ages 5-85. NEW FOR 2015 - Coasteering in Croyde. Based from the Academy's Big Blue Bus in Down End Car Park, Croyde overlooking the beach. WE GUARANTEE TO HAVE YOU UP & RIDING IN YOUR FIRST SURF LESSON OR YOUR SECOND LESSON FREE ! We have changing facilities on the bus and there are also on-site toilets and showers.Hot and cold refreshments can be purchased from the Cafe in the car park.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“So good we came back for a whole week”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

One intro lesson with the Academy was enough to get us hooked. This time we dedicated a whole week to surf lessons. We made more progress than we could possibly have imagined. Amazingly we were able to get straight up on the board (first lesson obviously stuck) and we were soon turning, picking our own waves (with some success) and my boyfriend even managed a headstand (after being challenged by our instructor).

I recommend anyone to continue lessons (beyond just the basics) if you want to progress your surfing. We had the privilege of learning with James "two more paddles!" Stentiford. Smoothing out our pop, and teaching us to read the water - we'd never have taken away so much from a week in the water on our own.

After just a few lessons James had us feeling like proper surfers - the benefit of lessons was evident as we watched others playing in the waves. When we started to tire, James had plenty of advice to help spur us on - whether it be tips for getting out past GIANT(4ft!!) waves, adding style to the smaller rides or reading the waves whilst taking in a sunset out back.

More than having an instructor, it was great to hang-out with a coach/guide and to have someone who really knows how to surf show you exactly how it's done!

We'll be back at the Academy in November.

Visited September 2013

London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Got repetitive”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Not sure if this is an observation about the teaching or the activity itself. As a beginner I spent a lot of time dragging my board back, waiting for a wave, then trying again, repeat repeat repeat. This went on for 1.5 hours so I felt quite bored by the end. Maybe the academy can try introducing some 'games' or other drills to break things up but learn at the same time.

Visited October 2013

3 Thank Dunn
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Carlo Fusie-Ferrero”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Now it turns out that not only does Carlo know most of Croyde but also his PR know one of our GM's Will Oakley. I could go into detail re our experience William 8 was allot better as Darcy 6 we identified was too young which was a shame but now we know.... bottom line is use these guys when your in Croyde. They are small enough to be able to care and pay attention to detail.
Keep the good work up Carlo needs to cover up a little next time, don't think I've seen so many wives flush since the pepsi advert !!! Well done guys !!

Visited August 2013

Bristol
“Surfing Spectacular!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Carlo was a great teacher! Made me feel so at ease and got me standing straight away. Just an amazing day all in all. Definitely 5 stars from me!

Visited October 2013

Nottingham, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Croyde surf lessons”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had James as our instructor a very patient guy, got us standing up very quickly which I thought would be impossible. Thouroughly enjoyed it, looking forward to some more lessons next year.

Visited September 2013