“Lovely location food okay”
Review of The Thatch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Croyde
The Thatch
Ranked #3 of 21 Croyde B&B and Inns
DERBYSHIRE
“Lovely location food okay”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We visited here on Saturday, it was our first day and we had spent the afternoon on the beach and were looking forward to a tasty pub meal. Sadly it was a let down, its a lovely pub but the food wasn't great. It was very expensive for what you got - my boyfriend and son had burgers, the kitchen staff got them a bit mixed up but rectified this quickly, apparently they were alright but not outstanding considering the cost. I had bangers and mash but it wasn't very nice at all but I ate it because I was starving, the consistency of the sausages was horrible - the meals weren't worth the money.

Lots of nicer places to eat, okay if you want a pretty pub to sit outside and have a drink.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed in the cottage opposite the thatch but owned by the pub. Quaint , clean, cosy , all you need but a little noisy from pub garden noise. Big bathroom to dry your beach gear and small side garden. Parking beside cottage. Breakfast substantial.

• Stayed August 2013
Wales
Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you see my reviews then you know I like my luxuries and have never stayed in a B&B so this was a first. Saying that, I love Croyde and know it well and have spent many an evening in the Thatch, just never stayed there, having friends who live in the area.
So I took a risk in booking this as a last minute Thursday night stay. The web site is good though and I could see pictures of the rooms which was reassuring.
Anyway, we got a last room over the Billy Budd section. Room 16. I would have gone for the quieter Priory but this was all that was available.
Well in a nutshell it was a DELIGHT - from start to finish. From booking via speedy email and friendly call right through to leaving breakfast !
We were welcomed superbly by a bar staff member who took us straight to reception. Then we were shown to our room. Parking was easy and free. Our room was really nice and had a little set of outside stairs and roof terrace to get to it. I was surprised at the value for money and level of facilities and cleanliness. It was soooooo clean! I was reassured by flat tv, cool radiator, spotless shower, neat furnishings, fluffy white towels and cool kettle and coffee and tea. All really clean and modern and well presented.
We had a great evening in the bar. Veggie nachos were to die for! We took our last orders to our room as it was near the gorgeous outside garden patio.
I really loved it and learned something about value for money here. My hubby was delighted I was pleased as I can be so fussy. Says something about the place. There was small noise at closing time and the suds of barrels in the morning, but it was all acceptable and atmospheric as we were over a pub.
This place looks so good from the outside- credit to the managers for getting it so right. Covered in flowers, well painted, beautiful thatch and good branding etc. it looks welcoming and inviting.
We had a breakfast in the price and that too was impressive. Juice and toast and cereal on help yourself and cooked breakies to order. One for veggies too! Gallons of tea too.
Easy checkout completed the event. All the young staff were particularly friendly. check out was at 10 which is early but then breakies was til 12!
I loved it!!! And surprised myself. Will def be going back and recommending it to all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisegirl
stoke-on-trent
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have recently had a weeks holiday in Croyde with our family and went to eat at the Thatch one evening. We sat outside enjoying the sunshine but could not say the same about the food. We found it was overpriced for what we received and I would not recommend the chips. The children's portions were ample could not complain about that The service was good and they quickly removed the used plates.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed in the pricey Priory Room 21 for our recent wedding anniversary. We were blessed with fantastic weather which made the weekend for us. We ate in The Thatch on the Friday night; the food was fantastic, the portions were superb, although we made the mistake of having a starter of Nachos which filled us up (ours were not soggy!). The staff were very accommodating and friendly, we were able to check in much earlier than the advertised time. The room was spotlessly clean, pleasantly large bathroom which has been fitted to a high specification, with a fantastic shower. Our only critical comment is that they could certainly consider a waitress service for the breakfast, rather than having to go to the bar to order food. Bearing in mind what we paid for two nights, this was a little unexpected.

Room Tip: If you want quiet nights to sleep, book the Priory rooms, not the rooms at the Pub itself, these are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsHSD
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Given less than an hour's notice, the restaurant management were able to arrange a table for 19! I haven't spoken to all 19 about their meal, but my enormous rack of ribs was very good. The children's meals looked like adult size and were well accepted by nearly all the littl'uns.
The place is enormous inside.. they seem to have cracked the Tardis effect. If you go in school holiday time you'l fine this is not the place for a romantic meal for 2 ( maybe they have a special area for that sort of thing!).
The staff were extremely busy but, to a woman/man. were friendly and helpful. Requests for slight 'tweeks' of the menu were happily accommodated.

Room Tip: We just had a meal
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wil221
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Came here after hearing great things. It was overpriced and had to return my food. I had BBQ chicken nachos. They arrived soggy and the chicken was clearly processed and boil in the bag. It was one of the cheapest things on the menu at £9 and was terrible. We got a refund and left.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croyde
Saunton Sands Hotel
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Woolacombe
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort

Been to The Thatch? Share your experiences!