“hotel surf mar”

Ranked #50 of 125 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
basildon
“hotel surf mar”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

have just been on holiday in lloret de mar staying at the surf mar hotel.
hotel clean, staff friendly, reception staff really helpful, bar staff lovely, but the food leaves a lot to be desired.
Same food nearly every night, think if they do chips that will please the british, but nothing to go with them, everything cooked in strange sauces, that taste vile. We lived on salad every day.
Fish grilled in the restaurant which leaves nasty smell.
If you really like your food avoid this hotel at all costs, it ruined our holiday.
needless to say we will not be returning.Location ok for beach but town of lloret de mar is 20mins walk away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 535disgruntled

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Great hotel but the food is very poor. Room was cleaned everyday and beds and towels changed daily too. We upgraded to all inclusive but the bar staff are not so attentive once you have upgraded as they don't get tips from all inclusive residents. Would not go there again unless they significantly modified their menu.

Room Tip: Choose the pool view rooms (even numbers) and you will get the sun on your balcony all day.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kevin H
Carcassonne, France
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We drove from France and stayed 2 nights in this hotel. Probably, like many others, I read the reviews and decided to give it a chance; mainly due to the location which didn't disappoint.
I have never actually stayed in a truly dirty hotel room till now and we travel a lot!! We were with our 15 month old and her black feet were testimony to the filth of the bedroom floor. On entering the old grubby 1970's style bathroom 3rd floor room 350 I found 2 used band-aids and saw many, sorry to be gross, pubes plus what looked like great lumps of snot on the bidet. Ahhhhh!
The bedroom was just old and unpleasant really and we couldn't wait to leave you wouldn't want to spent any time there so it really didn't matter that the ancient TV had no remote control.
The balcony had not been cleaned at all,truly visibly dirty floor, so we just didn't use it. I didn't ask to be moved as quite honestly I didn't expect to find any better rooms in this hotel.
We found the staff to be fine though; not overly friendly but pleasant enough.
The food was terrible canteen food and this is where the greatest fault of the hotel lies. We had dinner the first evening, as it was included, our baby is not the tidiest of eaters and so there was plenty of mess around her high chair(which needless to say I had to clean before using), the next morning we headed for the same area as it is near a soft play area , we were disgusted to see the exact same mess around the chair ,bits of pasta, bread etc on the floor and another family eating there!!
There are many nice hotels in the area so I really wouldn't be deceived by the good price of this one because as a minimum a hotel with 4 stars , what a joke!! should be comfortable and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Ireland272013

Travelers are raving about these Lloret de Mar hotels

Ilkeston, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

After reading reviews I was unsure about this hotel, but once we arrived was pleasantly surprised! The Receptionist was lovely, and we had no problems with hotel staff, we had our 10 month old with us and he got so much attention, we also found there weren't many English in the hotel, but we didn't have any problem getting served for drinks at all! Our room was clean, yes they need updating but for the price why complain! The food wasn't amazing but was always fresh, it does get a bit samey if your all inclusive but surely you expect this of a buffet, there was always something nice to eat! The pool was freezing so didnt really go in, but so was the sea think this was more to do with travelling in september! All in all if your looking for a few days away the location is perfect (right on the beach and only 10 mins away from lloret centre) I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Our room was on first floor, and we had a lovely partial view sea room, was always quiet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Charlenexpx
Folkestone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have never written a trip adviser review but returning from my 4 day stay there with my sisters I felt I had too, hotel appearance fine, room ok, a bit grubby, furniture and flooring all needed replacing, receptionists ok not overally friendly, bar staff very rude, only one pleasant young lady there, liked to walk pass you at least twice before deciding to serve you, restaurant staff rude, a simple question was looked as a real problem for them, hotel full of miserable elderly Swiss people, they had obviously never seen people in their 30s and spent most of the time kept staring at us, funny enough the bar staff seemed to love the Swiss and we were told that they don't like English people, ps we were not on some kind of 18 year old behaving badly holiday, we are women in their 30s who wanted to relax, we had hardly any sleep as the neighbours next door seemed to have their tv blaring and high heels constantly walking about at 3.00 in the morning, the rooms were not sound proof at all, food choice was very limited and we had no children with us but I'm not what they would have eaten at hotel, only good thing was location close to beach, beach was fantastic, hotel horrible.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kerrie S
hawkinge
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Well I travelled Sunday 8th Sept to Thursday 12th Sept 2013. With my 3 sisters for a short break. I had read several reviews but I always make my own decision on a place and give it the benefit of the doubt. The hotel was full of Dutch and French people. We were the only English people there. They constantly stared at us not just a quick glance but made you feel really uncomfortable. The staff did not like us either. They would ignore us and on purpose serve someone else just leaving us stood there. They were rude and not helpful. There were no reps to complain to as we booked through Travel Republic. The room was very noisy so much so you could hear next door receive a text message on there phone. So trying to get to sleep you had no chance. Food was very basic not much choice I have had better ALL INCLUSIVE at a 3 star hotel. Location is the only highlight of this hotel as its directly on the beach. I would not class this hotel as 4 star. We even ate out 2 nights of the 4 because we had had enough of the constant staring from guests and staff. They allow dogs in the hotel on and off leads which just strolled round. So I would only pick this hotel if you don't intend to eat or sleep on your holiday and you don't mind people looking at you all the time. Hope this helps future travellers to this hotel. I am no snob and stay in 3 star hotels all the time but to be broken to tears at lunch because of the staff and guests I certainly would not recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank jellhj17
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I had 3 days off between business weeks and decided to stay in Spain rather than go home, saw this "4" star hotel with a good deal on all inclusive. My title says it all, I've stayed in a lot of 4 star hotels and this isn't one of them, as someone else said "2 star at best".

Reception/bar staff friendly enough, but the restaurant staff don't want to be there and are not helpful. The food is so bad I wouldn't even give it to my dog, I ended up eating out every meal even though I was all inclusive and I'm not a fussy eater. The "bar buffet" is 4 hot plates with food in it that looks like its been there all sumer. The rooms are very dated, but very clean, there is a daily room service and they do a great job. They do start early though, so forget your holiday lie in, they're dragging beds around well before 9.

The pool area was nice and there is 1 activity a day, water aerobics, water polo ect ect. The evening entertainment was OK, they were doing the best with what they had. The location is brilliant, the beach is just over the road and was lovely.

All in all, I would never come back here. I tried to get the other half and little one to come out before i arrived and I'm glad they had other commitments, it is that bad.

Room Tip: If you don't believe this review and come anyway, the front of the hotel is quieter than the bac...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business