“Excellent value for money; very good location”

Aqua Hotel Bertran Park
Ranked #14 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We are a family with two teenage children, and have just returned from a wonderful week at the Bertran Park. We booked knowing it was a three star hotel, but even with this in mind, we were very impressed with all aspects of our stay. First, the staff are very friendly, welcoming and hard working. Nothing was too much trouble, from the desk staff who always had time to answer our questions, to the chambermaids who made our room spotless each day. We were on a budget, so we had a 'quad' room with a double (king size) bed and two singles, so we expected a certain amount of compromise, but the room was a decent size, the bathroom was fine, and the balcony a welcome surprise. The view from the balcony was mostly buildings and another hotel (the Guitart Rosa, about 200 meters away), but anyone who has spent time on a Mediterranean balcony will know that the best times are spent people watching, and our fourth floor balcony offered plenty of this.
The food was very good, considering the star rating. We went half board, so had breakfast and dinner each day. Despite what some reviews on here say, the choice varied daily, both for breakfast and dinner, was always well cooked and presented, and you can go up as many times as you want, breakfast or dinner. There is a hot and cold buffet, both breakfast and dinner, with a good spread of choices which will cater to most tastes. The only comment here is that on half board, drinks (even water) are extra at dinner, which we didn't expect, but weren't overly bothered.
The pool is on the small side, but did not get crowded at all, whilst we were there. The sun deck is very welcome, with loungers available, and waiter service from the adjacent hotel bar.
The mix of guests is both family and singles, with loads of nationalities, but thankfully hardly any English. The area is great for shops and the walk to the beach is five minutes max.
Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool have the best view.
6  Thank Zane W

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just back from a week at the hotel,on arrival,reception staff very pleasant and helpful,arrived early and our family room was ready for us.Very roomy,ample space for clothes,television was in both rooms.My husband and I had the double room and our son and my mother-in-law was in the twin room.All areas of the hotel are spotless.There was plenty of choice in the dining room,,there is something for everyone.After checkout we were able to use hotel facilities,there is a luggage room and showers,close to all shops and 10 minutes to the beach.We would stay there again.Try out The Orient Express on the beach front,lovely food,friendly staff,,all in all a great week.Thank You to all the Staff,nothing is too much trouble.

Room Tip: Don't forget,like us to pull across the blackout curtain,drowns out the noise from outside.
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband, 5 year old son and I have returned from a lovely one week holiday.

The hotel and grounds are very clean and we found all the staff very friendly and helpful.

We stayed in the family block which is directly opposite the front door of the main entrance to the hotel. We had a two bedroomed suite overlooking the pool which was very clean. I think we were lucky as another family we met were in the main hotel 4 of them sharing one room with a view of another hotel and alleyway. The best rooms in the main hotel looked to be the ones with the balconies overlooking the pool.
My only criticisms of our room would be the fridge provided does not get cold and the fact the air conditioning is advertised as individually controlled yet at approximately 4am every morning it stopped blowing out cool air and we woke up sweating until 06.30 when it seemed to kicked in again.

The hotel is perfectly positioned for shops, restaurants and the beach. Our son enjoyed playing over at the small play area which is situated across the road from the hotel. Lloret is a lively resort and it can be noisy in the early hours with party goers returning etc but this didn't bother us as we had anticipated this. The beach was only 10 mins walk away and fine shingle our beach shoes would have been handy. There are no shallow areas for children to paddle and gets deep very quickly. However with a set of armbands our son was perfecting safe splashing about letting the waves bringing him back in.

Our son loved the pool at the hotel and yes I will agree with other reviewers that its not the biggest of pools but comparing it to other hotels we saw on our transfers to and from the airport it was on par with even the 4 and 5 star hotels in the area. My husband did speak to a member of staff who mentioned that the hotel were looking to make the pool a bit larger soon. I hope they also consider creating a paddling pool area for younger children.
Sun loungers, deck chairs and parasols are limited but we always managed to find one or two chairs in the afternoons. I did feel some people were inconsiderate and selfish at times taking them up and then disappearing for an hour or more leaving their towels so no one else could use them. I have filled in the hotels suggestions form to say I think like many other hotels I have stayed at they should implement the rule that if your towel is left for 45mins or more then hotel staff will remove your towels to allow other guests to use the beds.

We were half board and found the food to be ok. Breakfast had enough choose of fruit, cereal, breads, cheese and ham etc. They did have a hot food section of scrambled eggs, boiled eggs and something that looked like under cooked bacon. To be honest I don't expect a choice of a classic English fried breakfast when abroad and I think the hotel have tried hard to cater for as many nationalities as possible.
Dinner was what I expected to be honest having stayed all inclusive and half broad at other hotels. There is a different choice of meats and fish every night with the usual chips, veg or boiled potatoes. We always had a nice filling meal but I can understand that for some the choice would be limited and if your expecting British hotel type food I wouldn't book to have the evening meal. The fresh prawns, Parma ham, calamari and fresh fruit selection were a treat. Again I think the hotel have tried hard to cater for as many guests tastes as possible.

Other reviewers have mentioned that this is not a family hotel. during our stay there were lots of families with children of all ages. We found the staff were always cheerful, friendly and went out of their way to look after our son especially Carla, Alicea and most of the restaurant staff we saw.
I will agree its not like a Thomas Cook or First Choice resort where it is family focused with paddling pools and activities but we weren't expecting it to be and wanted to try a holiday not booked through a travel agent. There was a free mini club which our son went to a couple of times for a few hours. The young lady running it was lovely and every time I looked in during our stay she was sat entertaining the children either face painting, helping them with art work or drawing alongside them. Our son had a nice time painting and playing.
The only downside and something I think the hotel need to consider is the guests they want to attract. As during our stay there were large groups of lads in their early twenties whose behaviour quite frankly was disgusting and not something I want my son or would want other children exposed to.
There was an all male German party who thought it was great to sing loudly, shout, spit and throw water balloons onto people below from their balcony. In the hotel staffs defence I think this was dealt with as when the group were next seen they looked very sheepish and we heard of no further problems.
A couple of days later there was a group of about 9-10 French lads that turned up. Early one evening they walked through the hotel all wearing wigs, luminous clothing along with large luminous male appendages dangling between their legs loudly drawing attention to themselves. On our last day they thought it was hilarious at 4 o'clock in the afternoon to sit at the poolside, one if them sporting a hat with attached ginger beard and two penis's on top, blowing balloons up with Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) from a canister and inhaled it in full view of everyone including the children playing in the pool. They then drew further attention to themselves all laughing as loud as they could, falling about the place and generally being idiots. Our son of course then wanted a balloon and couldn't understand why we told him NO!
Don't get me wrong I like a bit of fun and a laugh but this sort of behaviour in front of children at 3pm and 7pm is not acceptable and not something I want my son exposed to. Had this been later in the evening then I would happily and would have expected to move to another area with my son.
For this reason and the noise they caused in the early hours partying in the hotel I think it may put families off and maybe what other reviewers meant when they said the hotel is not family friendly.

That aside we met a lovely family with children who we shared a few card games and drinks with in the evenings and a group of lads on a stag do who were lots of fun. They kept the children entertained with a ball game in the pool one day and with their fancy dress on their last evening great super hero costumes!

All in all I think the hotel was good value for the money. The hotel was very clean, comfortable and the staff were great! I would like to go back again on a weekend or short break just my husband and I
in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Suzanne L
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Aqua Bertran is a cosmopolitan hotel about 5 minutes walk from the Lloret beach and is highly affordable. My wife, son (5 yo) and I booked this through Expedia and 1 week half board (breakfast and dinner) including BA flights (LGW) and 2 hr coach transfer from Barcelona to Lloret and return came to £1K.
The rooms were very clean and we were fortunate enough to get a suite in the new family block - two separate rooms with their own LCD TV in each; for a 2x2 family this is ideal. The staff were accommodating of my wife and son not getting up til late and allowed me to take breakfast up to them (breakfast is from 8-10am). I should stress that a working understanding of spanish is important here. I speak good german (A Level), poor french (GCSE) and even worse spanish
The only negative regarding the room would be the air-con. The original advertisement through expedia was that A/C was room-controlled - this is not the case! The air-con is woefully inadequate for brits used to 18C evening temperatures. The A/C is set by the hotel and only knocks a few degrees from the outside temp (30+C)and I was woken up at 4am by the heat (when the a/c stops working) to open the balcony window. If you and your children are used to high temps then you will be fine. Expedia should be clearer - I want my room at 18C when I want it not when they want it.
The hotel has a small pool, which would be good for kids, but owing to the location, some predatory stag parties can detract from this ideal. I found getting kids in the pool put said parties off. The staff service is good. My wife was of the opinion that the dedicated poolside waiter was rather rude. Having engaged with the man, Pablo, I found him a delightful gentleman, who appreciated my rudimentary attempts to speak his language - again, another reason to be familiar with the basic aspects of the spanish language.
Overall, I found by time at Aqua hotel very enjoyable and if they could sort the A/C out this would have been a 5/5 bearing in mind the value for money element.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have just arrived back from the Hotel Bertran, Lloret de Mar. Plus points are that the hotel is very clean. Bedrooms, reception area, restaurant and pool area are spotless. The hotel is perfectly located for the main shops restaurants and bars and only a 10 minute walk to the beach. On the downside the food was very poor, especially the breakfast which never varied. Scrambled egg was offered every morning, but it was tasteless and every morning it had last nights leftover vegetables mixed through it. One morning it even had pineapple mixed through it. We went full board and lunch and evening meals were no better unfortunately. Once again the same food was offered each day - very little variation and the quality was very poor. We stopped going down to breakfast after 3 or 4 days. For the second half of the holiday we ate out mostly, so full board was a waste of money. Staff at the bar were constantly watching everyone in case they attempted to bring in their own drinks to drink by the pool, even going so far as to confiscate water bought outside. I wouldn't have minded buying water from the bar all day but the largest bottle of water was 250ml priced at 1.25 euro - same in restaurant. One evening 4 young girls sitting behind us brought their own water into the restaurant and opened it. To be fair you can't do this in a restaurant, but a quiet word to ask them to put it away would have been sufficient I think, however 1 of the waiters went up to them and demanded in a very aggressive manner that he gave them the water and everyone sitting around them could hear this. Absolutely no need and the manner in which he spoke to them was disgusting. As stated before - the hotel was lovely and clean with a very good location. As long as you don't mind a watchman standing over you all day in the pool area and you can tolerate the food it should be okay. Personally we won't be using this hotel again. Lloret de Mar itself is a very busy and noisy resort which we like, however it very much lacks atmosphere due to the fact there is absolutely no live music in the bars. Apparently it's not allowed here. We prefer the Costa Blanca area of Spain where live music is widely available in the bars restaurants. Much better atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the bertran hotel in june for 5 nights while the moto gp was on. We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. firstly we had the top room in the complex next door and it was amazing. 2 tv's with very smart rooms and even a roof terrace overlooking the pool. the breakfast and dinners were lovely with a great choice of food and a lovely clean dining area. the buffet at night is 7-9pm so just beware you dont turn up too late like we did on our first night ? the pool is small but it's ok as you don't really expect much for a in town hotel as lloret is a very compact town but it's right next to a lovely square with bar's and it's only minutes from the main nightlife. the only problem we had was parking the car and we had to park a few times 15 minute walk away up by the cemetry. we really enjoyed our stay and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil747
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Everything about this hotel was great. Really, really friendly staff from the helpful people on reception to the cleaners. Room was kept clean every day. Good lifts, underground car park which was excellent to keep our bikes off the narrow streets, the steep ramp into the underground car park was a bit off putting, but manageable. Was €10 per night to park a car but for 2 bikes we paid same so that was a bonus.It was in good position right near a police station, on the next corner, so that was a good thing. Also less than 5 minutes walk to bus station. I got a return on bus to Barcelona for €21,it was an hour each way. So pretty good value.Would stay there again no problemo!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends