“Nice hotel but service is not as great as expected”

Alva Park Costa Brava
Ranked #20 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
london
“Nice hotel but service is not as great as expected”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at Alva Park for a few nights at the beginning of June 2013, paying EUR 660 per night. It wasn’t cheap so we expected top class service. The hotel itself is very nice, rooms are specious and very clean, the bed was very comfortable. They obviously splashed a lot of cash on posh Bang & Olufsen gear, but in my opinion that was not adding any value. The room telephones were so difficult to use. Moreover, you would expect to know how to dial reception form your room phone wouldn’t you? Surprise! Their phones are not labelled, no phone directory so finding the right number was a challenge! They give you a welcome pack which is a ream of paper sheets, that easily get mixed and lost as they are not stapled or bound together. It took me 15 minutes to finally find how to call the front desk from my room to order a cab. So if you go there – remember the telephone number for reception is 3000

The hotel was understaffed in my opinion, even though there were no more than 10-15 guests. I went to the swimming pool and wanted to order a cocktail. When you are paying EUR 600+ per night and EUR 28 for a cocktail – you would expect a waiter to turn up the minute you land you bum on a sunbed. In our case – there was nobody there. There was a bar but no staff. I had to go to kids club and ask a lady there to find a waiter.

Internet access was terrible. In most hotels where I stayed, I only had to enter my username and password once every 24 hours. In this hotel you have to enter it every time after a few minutes of inactivating. If your iPad locks you have to re-enter you username and password for WiFi. I had to do it 30-50 times a day.

Food in the restaurants was very nice, but the choice was limited. The service was great. The spa & sauna was amazing, although to access it you have to take two lifts, it was like a maze.

Overall impression – very nice interior, excellent rooms, nice food, nice spa but poor service and massively overpriced.

I think the management focused on the image of their hotel so much that they forgot about more important things – the service. Bang & Olufsen is not enough to make a perfect stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank mrputin

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hampshire
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Just got back from 2 nights in a suit at the Alva park. I must say we didn't think much of the town but the hotel is an oasis of calm and is the best I have stayed in. It is more of a 6 star with service which is wonderful and lot's of personal touches, they made our children feel so welcome; with staff in the Kids Club making everything so fun and seemingly wanting the children to join them which is unusual in our experiences! They really go the extra mile and deserve their place in Luxury Hotels of the World. If you are considering this hotel, go for it! It really is stunning with incredible service.

Room Tip: We had a suit on the 6th floor and it was wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank avahar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

When I first visited this apartment hotel it was possible to spend a week there for less than the cost of a night now.

Back then it was basic, clean, well equipped and perfect for the area. If you had a triple room you got a partial sea view over the car park but if you had a 'normal' room you got a view over a typical Spanish holiday hotel or an unattractive apartment block.

Following a major revision the hotel went seriously upmarket. The views haven't changed of course and neither have the resort facilities.

It's a lovely place but is totally out of keeping with its surroundings - I really can't recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Rallyman23
Copenhagen
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Don't always judge a hotel by its facade.... The Alva Park is quite anonymous from the street, but a quick glimpse through the windows tell you a different story - go into the lobby and you immediately know that this hotel is going to be special from whatever you might have tried before!
Everything from SPA to rooms, service and restaurant was FLAWLESS during my stay. I will definitely go there again - not because of Costa Brava, but because of Alva Park!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Dandanell
Paris, France
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Amazing hotel, wonderful oriental decoration, very comfortable rooms with large bathrooms and separate walk-in closets, my room had a small steam bath. Great Molton Brown toiletries. The SPA is just a dream and a MUST. I loved the gym facilities and the restaurant. Senor Cases was a perfect host

Room Tip: street side view looks over the Mediterranian Sea
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RolfParis
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 23, 2011

A unique hotel in Lloret de Mar. From the outside it looks nothing special, but when you walk inside you find something quite outstanding. From the appearence of the public areas, to the Spa, to the restaurants and finally the rooms...I've been to a number of luxury hotels, but this gets the top of the list - it is like being in a mini apartment - a small office, a roomy wardrobe, a spacious bathroom and bedroom, all decorated wonderfully. You feel like spending the entire time in the room. However, you can't do that as other elements of the hotel are just as inviting. The restaurants are a real treat and deservedly award winning as is the Spa. Even the kids club is great and the staff is so attentive to guests' needs. If you are planning a vacation in Costa Brava and are willing to splurge, you can't find a better place!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Aviad M
San Francisco
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed in Alva Park for 3 days to celebrate my husband's birthday. I did a lot of research prior to our visit and looked forward to visiting Alva Park with high hopes for the price they charge. On our way to hotel when the taxi driver announced that we were "almost there," I began to seriously worry about our hotel choice as the neighborhood appeared to be quite terrible with dirty buildings crumbled literally one on top of another and no sea in sight. I was getting even more disappointed as the taxi took the turn in the opposite direction away from the beach on a tiny street that really didn't inspire me much to even get out of the taxi. But then...all the great things began to happen one after another. The minute we stepped out of the taxi we were being treated as if we were royalty. And I am quite serious when I say that. Everyone in Alva Park seemed to be dedicated to making us feel comfortable, happy, pampered, relaxed, entertained and the list can go on and on. We always felt like we were the only ones staying in the entire hotel because of so much detailed attention we were given. Often I felt like the staff could read my mind because the minute I thought about getting something or requesting anything, it magically appeared right that moment as if they were expecting my request.

The hotel itself is sparkling clean, you would never find any dust or fingerprint on the entire property. It shines day and night even though we never once saw anyone cleaning around. The room itself was amazing. Quite spacious, inviting and modern. We never really like to hang out in the room too much when we travel but this room was so exceptional that we lingered in it much longer than usual. The bed was super comfy though I didn't like the bed's position facing the wall. Speaking about location and views, this is probably the only negative thing about Alva Park. The hotel has absolutely no great views due it's weird location on a small side street. All rooms face the buildings on the opposite side of the street and the view of those dirty buildings with laundry hanging out on the balconies is not something you would expect to see from an expensive hotel. However, the hotel staff goes out of their way to make guests feels comfortable and spoiled. Perks like free gifts, free dinners, free use of smart cars and personal attentiveness of the entire staff makes huge difference. Aside from hotel's location everything else is simply spectacular and I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better side view of the beach and the sea from the balcony.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
#38 of 124 in Lloret de Mar
Hostal de La Gavina
Hostal de La Gavina
#1 of 4 in S'Agaro

Been to Alva Park Costa Brava? Share your experiences!