“Good Experience”

Ranked #83 of 127 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Good Experience”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The Sun Village hotel is a very good hotel in Lloret de Mar within a 5minute walk from the beach. If you are driving there are a couple of public car parks within a short walking distance which are free during the off peak season Nov-Apr I would imagine, we checked with tourist information.

The food at the hotel is of a good standard. Continental Breakfast but also bacon, eggs, sausages, different from uk, but good. Chef also cooks something different every day, pancakes, wafflles etc. Lunch and Dinner are much the same menu with things like fried chicken, beef stew, rabbit, meatballs chips, vegetables etc. all very good, something new most days, the puddings are also good with poached pears, chocolate mouse, ice-cream.

We went all-inclusive and the free drinks are ok, if you want a beer it will be Amstel and in a 250ml glass only, so a few trips to bar required, one drink per person per visit to bar, but will allow you to get 1 for your partner. White wine and red wine not bad. Spirits are quite weak, I had vodka or rum with mixer but there is whisky and selection of other spirits. Dont be fooled at how much vodka they pour in your glass, it is quite weak, better sticking to beer or wine. If you are Paying for your drinks they are obviosly better, I think a pint of beer is about 3euros, their cocktails which are strong are about 6.5euros.

The hotel itself is quite new and is very clean, everytime we came back to room at night it had been well cleaned and new towels provided as you would expect. The hotel was quite busy even at the end of February when we were there, my girlfriend and I were the only british couple, the majority of other residents were Spanish, French and Russian. There was a DJ on every night playing a variety if music and some classic dance moves witnessed on the dance floor. Haha.

With regards to the time of year we travelled, end of Feb, it is quite quiet in Lloret de Mar, i.e. a lot of bars and that closed. During the day it is still busy with people going round shops etc. It was a good relaxing break with the Girlfriend, if you were to arrive May onwards I would imagine it would be a pretty hectic place at night.

We were really wanting to see a lot of Barcelona and it is about 1.5hours drive away, 3hours round trip so it eats quite a bit into your day. I would suggest if you want to see a lot of Barcelona you are better staying in the city centre and that is what we ended up doing for last couple of days, left Sun Village in Lloret de Mar early and booked another hotel in Barcelona.

If we were to do it again we probably would not bother with the car, public transport seems good locally and into Barcelona so just less hassle than finding car parking spots etc. Also we got stung at airport for additional costs on car, total for week was 280euro, I reckon public transport would be cheaper, especially if only 2 of you.

• Stayed February 2014
8 Thank Ian N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I went for a girly week to celebrate her birthday. We could not find much information on the hotel as it had recently opened after a refurb. The hotel is quite basic but nicely decorated and clean. We found the restaurant felt a bit like a canteen but the food was always plentiful and good. We enjoyed the choice of all inclusive drinks. The thing that we loved about this hotel was it's location. It is close to the beach and shops but in a quiet area. I would return to this hotel for a week in the sun out of season.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank saintnick76
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Was at the hotel from 13th to 20th November with my brothers on an all inclusive. A degree of trepidation felt because of other reviews posted but all in all we were agreed that it certainly did not live up to the worst of them. Found all staff to be friendly, courteous and helpful. . All meals were varied, tasty and enjoyable. The paella in particular I found delicious, better in fact than that which I've experienced in Valencia, which is sad since it's a Valencian dish. The only faults we were agreed upon were that the hot breakfast food became cold as it was not kept heated, so best be up early for breakfast. Soundproofing is inadequate, but this seems to be a common fault in hotels in popular resorts and the Wifi really only worked in the reception area. Would we go back again? Yes if the price was right

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bill Q
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Sun Village Hotel,We booked a 3 night break arriving Nov 17th,The check-in was carried out with minimal amount of fuss and all relevant information given. The room was on the second floor, we reached this via the lift.The room was very good, clean and bright as was the bathroom, nice big shower plenty of hot water,with towels replaced every day.
The balcony had sea,pool and hill views lovely.The restaurant was very good plenty of choice.My only moan would be the food could have been a little hotter.
The lounge /bar area was ok but needed more comfortable chairs.the service at the bar was good. We found all staff to be polite and helpful,and met some nice people to socialise with.All in all this hotel is value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank honestmary111
Reviewed November 5, 2013

When I retire and I am waiting to die with a pack of cards. I shall come back. The average age is 60 plus. 100% clean. No fault there. Most of the staff are brilliant one bar woman was rude. We got told off for making noise at half 11 at night. Our friends got issued a letter threatening them with a 200euro fine. It wasnt even midnight. No lilos in the pool thought that was bizzar. Second pool closed and this was where the afternoon sun was. Food??? If you like a carb overload-great. If not eat salad. Vegies be warned - examine EVERYTHING. Nothings labled and the snacks were dry chips funny looking pizza and SALAD. the ice cream is to die for. And its a great place to relax with no noise. We came In November and there were no kids (we loved that as wed left ours at home) we only paid 152 pound for 4 nights flight transfers and hotel. Well worth the money and would come again for that price.
the beach has no sand. Just pebbles (we cut our feet wear trainers)

Were brown though :):)

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank sdsk99
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Reading the reviews before me and my 5 friends booked this hotel we didn't think they were all going to be spot on but they were. As we arrived we were welcomed by the reception and the cleaner having a argument to which they didn't stop even though we were stood there.
Most of the staff were very rude to us apart from the two young girls at the bar.
The food were absolutely awful, even the chips wasn't worth eating. Three of us were sick straight after food.
The rooms are small but clean and has everything you need, the shower is a good thing.
All of the sun loungers aren't in the sun but there's plenty of space to move them and make them in the sun.
Both pools are good size and clean.
Let's just say 4 nights were enough.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Loz19

Travelers are raving about these Lloret de Mar hotels

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just wanted to tell everyone my veiws about my holiday but sun village deleted my comments off their facebook page as they said they didnt like my tone or my comments i am a family person with children who saved hard to pay for my holiday and i just wanted what was advertised nothing more Where should I start at the beginning I guess we arrived in lloret de mar and was dumped on the side of a busy main road with a family member how has a heart condition and diebeties and my eight year old daughter we were told to go down this road turn down there and your hotel is on the left we paid for transfers to our hotel not to treated this way and was told you will be picked up here in 2 weeks, we was not shown to our room the carpets in reception was very dirty when we looked out of our room we had a beautiful sea view but noticed the pool was totally in the shade as we're all the sun beds this was the case everyday from 3 pm the front pool was in the sun all day which would have been lovely had it been open as it was still under construction as was the main function room and bar and sun terrace which opened on our second week we were under the impression this hotel was totally renovated so was very excited to staying here there was no children's entertainment what so ever a gentlemen sat with a colouring book and pens on one occasion and as for entertainment a man with a laptop and a speaker played same music every night the staff were dresses very basic the day before we came home staff were issued with their new uniforms which were very smart to us any improvements made at this stage would be no benefit to my family,
When spending time around the pool there were groups of teens doing summer salts into the pool which made t
It dangerous for the young children also on 2 occasions which I have on video people being thrown in the pool on the new sun chairs when staff were approached nothing was done and yes there is a divide in the pool so there is a small area to paddle but not for children to swim therefore having to use bigger pool.
their was only a very small bar and most of the time having to queue for long periods especially of an evening and being told you can only have 1 drink so the whole family having to queue individually and being told to bring you plastic glass back,
Food was the same every single day and some of it attceptable most of the food cooked on the hot plate in front of you they threw masses of salt all over it I told a member of staff that my child's food was cold they pointed me to a microwave not what you expect for 4 stars.
The wifi was very hit and miss only worked once in our room in 2 weeks mainly everyone sat around in the reception only place it really worked,
NOW TO SAY SOMETHING NICE
The cleaning maids were a pleasure rooms were cleaned everyday and fresh towels if the room hadn't been so nice think I might have cried they rest of the staff need to take a leaf out of their book,
And on the day we left looked like it wouldn't be long before the building works were finished so hopefully anyone who plans to go here wont be subjected to the same upset as we were.

• Stayed August 2013