“Mixed review”

Ranked #109 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Mixed review”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

It was my 1st time in Lloret & the location of this hotel is brilliant but the young party kids is not so good. I'm only 28 myself & love 2 have a good time but I know when I enter the corridors/bedrooms you have to respect everyone else but others defiantly do not agree with this rule!! I hardly had any sleep due to noise, my room was the back of the hotel so I thought it would be quieter but no. The worst thing is queuing for drinks!! You get these plastic skinny cups which fit hardly anything in & you can only have 1 drink a time so found ourselves in the queue non stop so in the end we used our money to drink & eat outside the hotel. I wouldn't stay here again unless I was desperate

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chelleabella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Would never stay again. Went in the half term in October. Bus doesn't even drop you off outside hotel you have to cross over a busy main road with your children and luggage. The service was terrible we had to change rooms as soon as we got there as there was a big hole in bathroom ceiling and was leaking water. Went to another room but even that wasn't very nice it was dirty. The hotel itself was dirty they said it was for family more like a club 18 to 30. Got a bug off the food as it was disgusting. Would definately not recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed October 2012

Travelers are raving about these Lloret de Mar hotels

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. We only paid £150 each for 5 days all inclusive, so we didn't expect much. The hotel staff were all rude, especially the couple of receptionists. Our room was disgusting, a broken bed, bath taps fell off and 3 days of complaining without a light in the bathroom. The food was disgusting, you'll be fine if you're happy with chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ended up eating out as all 3 of us had food poisoning after eating at the restauraunt on the first day. The bar staff were rude and took a lifetime to serve drinks and all of a sudden they just shut at 11pm and kick everyone out. Crap system of only allowing one drink at a time too. The walls were paper thin & we we're right above the outside area by the bar so had next to no sleep, although luckily we chose to stay up late most nights. We didnt even dare try the pool as it looked so disgusting. One positive thing was it was very close to the shops, bars and beach. All in all, I wouldn't waste your money. It was a very cheap holiday, but it wasn't worth it. Definitely go somewhere else instead!

Room Tip: No tips, all crap as each other!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jennie H
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in in my entire life, it is a a youth hostel gone wrong!

Stayed here on a budget holiday - yes you get what you pay for I get that! Booked to stay in the Royal Star but the holiday company changed it last minute and booked us here. Was also told it was 4 star hotel with a spa!!!!! NOT!!!

Took my 13 year old son for a week away for October half term.

Opted for coach pick up from airport - this went well until dumped in the town centre and not told where I hotel was - finally found it and arrived at 8.30pm to very roudy reception area with lots of groups of stag and hens staggering around drunk.

Checked in with an open mind to all I can describe as a FILTHY, DIRTY, SHABBY bedroom which overlooked the noisiest pool and bar area in the world. Didn't mind the noise from the bar afterall we were on our hols.

My son sat on the bed!!!! The bed was a metal camp bed which bowed in the middle because it was broken and also slid on the tiled floor. The bathroom was FILTHY and looked like it needed a refurb about 10 years ago!

Went to reception and told them the bed was broken and the room was dirty, was met with a total look of shock from the receptionist who said "if you really find it a problem we can change you to another room round the back of the hotel but I can't guarantee it will be better, after all you did book a cheap holiday!!!!!!!!" Let this go over my head and took her up on changing rooms.

The bed was not broken in this room and it overlooked a little road and a sports ground out the back, seemed bearable and we then went to dinner. (The Road was like a busy motorway for motorbikes at night!!)

Dinner - OMG 2 choices - mush or mush oh and chips - phew said my son :-) They had little pots of ice cream which also cheered him up.

Back to our room to get some sleep and hope the holiday got better the next day, dodged parties of very drunk teenagers all the way back to the room, watched a bit of tv on the broken telly which was just about hanging on the wall and then went to bed.

Were woken at midnight by screaming teenagers in the corridor, it was echoing as it was also tiled on the corridor floor, walls we were now finding out are PAPER thin!. Was also woken at 1am by banging on our door, 2.30m by singing and screaming, 3am by a fight in the corridor and 5am by more screaming, shouting and door slamming. My son spent half the night crying and terrified they were coming in our room!

Next morning dragged ourselves to breakfast, mmmm lets not even go there!

Spoke to another couple who said their night was just as bad as ours and they were moving to the Royal Star hotel as it was a million times better. After checking out the Royal Star, which we should have been in to start with we made the decision to pay another 20 euros a night and move.

Cannot begin to say how much nicer the Royal Star was in comparison to the Grand Casino Hotel - It was much much much much nicer.

The staff at the Casino seemed to not care in the slightest about our experience but in their defence they had a terrible product to work with - not entirely their fault but a smile would have helped a long way.

Do yourself a favour - DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Not exageratting I promise it was as bad as I say!!!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here - try the Royal Star down the road!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank floatihead
UK
Reviewed November 28, 2012

H Top Gran Casino Royal, Lloret De Mar Costa Brava, Spain
A Living Hell on Earth

When I was offered this 3 star hotel on allocation arrival basis, just 48 hrs before flying out, I quickly went online on to a travel forum, to check the reputation of this 3 star hotel, my expectations were high. And was too excited to get away from the dismal English summer, But instead, there was shivering in my spines as I read the complains and description of this 3 star hotel.

I contacted the Broadway Travel, the Co. that booked the hotel (with Low cost bed) on my behalf and argued about the hotel’s reputation, they said there is nothing they can do about as this was “allocations on arrival” in every message they kept repeating the extra cost to be paid for the alternative, what extra cost on top of £902 paid for the two of us?

But wait; was this 3 star place as bad as its customers claimed it to be?

Here how bad it was,
We, like many other customers landed at Gerona airport, and after a long wait and drive were dropped off in the early morning, but still dark, by a not so polite Spanish coach driver (belonged to from2 Co) many meters away from our hotels, in our case he could have turned the coach on to the right hand and drove further a few meters nearer the hotel, but he made us walk with our travel luggage dragging. He made others walk as well.

We checked in at 13:40am on July 23rd, there was a receptionist helped by a security guard, who should have been elsewhere. There were terrible noise of shouting coming from the other parts of the hotel, A dark and grim reception and all the noise sent me the signal that we have reached the Hell, our Mug shot was taken by the receptionist to issue our all inclusive card, at about 2 am we boarded the dirty and smelly lifts (with floor # display panels smashed) to our 5th floor, there were some kind of pitch battles were taking place amongst the drunken youngsters who looked like making up the majority in this hotel.

It felt like being on a Hollywood set of some kind of criminal gangster movie, but this was for real. It also felt like being in a building that is used as a prison of young criminals.

While dragging our travel luggage along the corridor and looking for our room 524, there atmosphere was filled with so much intimidation, as a drunken youth was not budging an inch to let us pass through, as he talked to a girl at the door of room 521 (?) CCTV footage can confirm this. At last we found and entered the room 524, only to find this little Hell Hole is not for the faint hearted ones.

After changing and getting in to bed, at around 02:20am the real Hell like noises of shouting and banging the doors began my wife was so panic stricken, I had to comfort her, by saying “we will speak to the manager first thing in the morning and see if he has a better room to offer us”

Never in my whole life had I anxiously waited for the morning to arrive so quickly, and then we made a request to the staff at the reception, who said there is no empty room we can shift you in to. How amazing this hell hole gets jam packed by the age group 16 yrs (?) to 25 yrs!!

The breakfast on offer was not anything grand, no brown sugar, (stop dreaming of Honey) 4 containers of the cold milk did not say what it was but tasted like semi skimmed, an average white bread, hard rock bread rolls, no fried tomatoes, and sausages were not fresh, they looked like from a large catering pack tin, no fruits, the main meals were ok, nothing to suggest of 3 star taste, I also noticed the left over potato fried chips were re fried and offered to us in the morning breakfast. Left over ham raw meat slices (popular with Germans) from morning were battered and fried for the all inclusive snacks. I have only used all inclusive after noon lunch once and snacks twice. The snacks were all baps, beef burgers, raw meat slices / rolls, and French fries, nothing special as the majority of the hotel room occupiers are very young adults, and they were mostly interested in the booze.

This so called 3 star hotel is located in the most horrible spot you can imagine, right in front of a bus terminal and surrounded by night clubs, as if it’s not enough, right next to the Municipal Play ground and a piece of unoccupied land with no decent view.
The hotel building looks like an age old structure begging to be demolished. by my generous estimate, it must be built in the late 70s, the sickly decor and the old furniture are dirty and sickly and seems like it’s never been upgraded.

The hotel floor throughout the hotel, including passages, rooms and bathrooms, covered with the tired / dirty / off colour beige tiles with some dark chips thrown in.
The doors still have the age old style key and lock system, the only modern thing attached to the key ring is a card that activates the electricity supply in the room.

Forget the AC or an air cooler, there is not even a fan in this 3 star hotel.

The bathrooms are basic, with rusty materials that will make you think to touch the tap knobs twice. There are no rails to hang or store the towels.

The funny looking paint on the walls, ceilings and doors is peeling.

There is a glass door patio that allows you on to the balcony, and behind the glass door patio, there is a sliding wooden panel in French style for the fresh air to enter the room, but there is no safety lock on this sliding wooden panel, so that the guests can lock it and then leave the glass door patio open for the fresh air at night. It could be a choking feeling at night. This wooden sliding door offers no safety to the room occupiers, as I have seen a neighbour in a day light climbing up the terrace railings and getting in to the next door room, CCTV footage will confirm this.

There is an old age, dirty looking, never been cleaned liked 20 inch TV set, on dirty sickly old dressing table. what is more insulting than paying 20 Euros deposit for the remote control to watch this TV, I rather let the horrible TV set have a rest.

What we witnessed as we set on the sofas in the foyer by the reception, A British family checking in and then quickly wanting to get out of this hotel, requesting and arguing with the staff to shift them elsewhere, it seemed there were up to 95% customers were very young adults, and were mainly of German, French, Polish and other East European origin, customers of our age group 55 and over were very rare, and as at this hotel there were not many British customers, some of them we spoke to were feeling stranded in this hell hole, what shocked me, that the Broadway Holiday Co and their staff were knowingly throwing, the valued Customers of our age group in to a place like this when they knew well the H Top hotel group has other 13 resorts in Costa Brava. Was this package forced upon us under the excuse of allocation on arrival basis?

The other questions here are, “is this so called 3 star hotel is really 3 stars? Where in reality it is not even a 1 star and is making a customer pay nearly £450 for a week justified?

I strongly feel we were mis - sold the holiday package
By Broadway Travel Service (Wimbledon) Ltd
Based at, Unit 1Finway, Dallow Road
Luton
LU1 1WE

A (not so) Happytraveler from UK.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VerryHappyTraveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

went there in June i think we were the only English people there food uneatable room dirty
rude foreigners
drinks crap
swimming pool dirty
just don't go no matter how cheap you got the holiday for
even the people in the bars will tell you this bar is not for English people
although there are some bars round the back that are English

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank laura_jones
newport, gwent, south wales, uk
Reviewed November 6, 2012

People have said how good the H.Top hotels were.
What an absolute DUMP i've been on 18-30 holidays etc but this was lower than the low.
Loved Mobys and the dodgems that was it.
We had posioning from hotel food/drink food. if you can call it that was ablsolutley vile.
we had to exchange a token for rubbish plastic cups which gave me a coldsore after the first sip of my first drink. Bar staff even warned you that too much cocktail drinking will make you go to toilet, and my gosh we were ill.
Hotel in DESPERATE need of decor/refirbishing. Ideal location is the best thing i can say. although bus driver drops you off outside mobys so you have to walk across busy road, through bus station and across another road, then down the side of football pitch then you actually get to hotel.Never been so happy and excited to go home. glad we only went for 3 days

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
#7 of 124 in Lloret de Mar
Hotel MoreMar
Hotel MoreMar
#58 of 124 in Lloret de Mar

Been to H.TOP Gran Casino Royal? Share your experiences!