“Excellent dining in Trapani”
Review of Ai lumi

Ai lumi
Ranked #53 of 417 Restaurants in Trapani
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I had two very good meals here. Definitely book ahead. They were among the best meals that we had in Sicily. Among the standouts: an off-menu daily special of pasta and prawns, casareccie alla trapanese (eggplant/almond/tomato sauce), and fritto misto. The best, however, was the rabbit. Great wine list of Sicilian wines. And good service. If weather permits (and it usually does, it seems, in Sicily) sit outside for great people watching.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Went in at 7.30 and it was empty. Very helpful and attentive service. As the restaurant filled up it became chaotic and the service level dropped badly - attracting anybody to do anything was a nightmare. Took 25 minutes to get the bill. Food was good and the ambience pleasing. The town is very busy, almost gridlocked, at night and parking anywhere nearby is another nightmare. If you can walk to it from your hotel OK but not recommended if you need to get there by car, even a taxi unless you fancy a long walk from where driving and parking is easier.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The location is very good and there was a queue to get inside. We reservated our table the night before. The staff is very busy and it shows in the quality of their hospitality. I ate sweet and sour tuna. It was excellent and the portion was big even without side orders. My friend had the veal and it was perfectly cooked. One of us ordered garlic swordfish which was a little disappointment compared to the previous evenings Al Vicoletto's swordfish.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We were staying at the B&B of the same name and were offered 15% discount on the meals at this restaurant. Having read the mixed reviews we did look at another recommended place but it was booked up, and only being in Trapani for one night opted for this.
The restaurant is in a good position in the historic Corso Vittorio Emanuelle, which has been pedestrianised and regenerated to attract tourists (and Trapani needs the tourists!) You have a good view of the lovely architecture.
There was a decent fairly varied antipasti self service buffet (I'm a sucker for an antipasti buffet!) most of the dishes were vegetarian and simple but fresh and we shared a plate.
I opted for the cuscus alla trapanese (please excuse spelling) which was tasty but didin't include much fish. My partner went for pork shin, which was huge, cooked for ages, falling off the bone and with a tasty sauce, he enjoyed it and it wasn't at all greasy.
For dessert I chose an unusual ricotta tart which was tasty and he went for a huge chunk of watermelon.
The service was friendly and efficient without being at all rushed.
We also ate the breakfast from the B&B here which was a decent buffet, with a good variety of cakes and pastries. Eaten outside in a shade was a good start to the day.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We visited the restaurant twice - my husband who is not a great eater managed to eat two plates of pasta - casareccie with pesto trapanese if I remember the name right) and mixed fish grill all at One sitting! They were absolutely delicious - he is very finicky but ate the small fish bones and all!!