“Cielomare in winter”
Review of Cielo Mare

Cielo Mare
Ranked #18 of 121 Specialty Lodging in Trapani
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed in Cielomare in the beginning of February with three friends. Cielomare is situated in the historical center of Trapani with walking distance to all amenities especially a lovely baker just round the corner whose delicious cornetti are so tasty for breakfast.
Although the street is very narrow and the place has a lot of stairs (we where in the top apartment named Asdrubale) It was still worth the climb as the view from the terrace was fantastic. The staff is friendly and always willing to help. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Trapani. Thanks to Enzo and his staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed in Trapani at Cielomare for a long weekend end of November. The apartment we had (Annibale) was a mix of typical Sicilian and modern style with a touch of cosines everywhere. The sink in the kitchen is made of stone and there are typical Sicilian tiles preserved where possible. The kitchen is small but it has all you need. We never had breakfast at the Bar, it would have been a waste not to jump to the nearest pasticceria and have cassatine and cannoli on the terrace of the apartment enjoying the sound of the waves coming to the shore 50 meters right under. The apartment was on two floors what makes it even more lovely. I don't know how best to describe the stunning view on the gulf of Trapani and Monte Erice from the large terrace. The bedroom was enjoying the same view. The bathroom was smallish but with a huge shower even for two. I don't believe any other touristic accommodation has this privileged view and position at the same time. All the commodities were there: TV with Sky, free wifi internet (router in the room) with a good signal, air conditioning hot and cold, bicycles are free of charge, there was cloths and detergent for the kitchen, clothes stand for drying towels on the terrace and if you stay more than 3 nights bed sheets and towels are included. There are some steep stairs to come to the apartment but they are all worth it - your bags and suitcases will be taken care of by the staff. I must say the expectations were high but we were extremely positively surprised about Cielomare. No need to say we were very lucky with the weather as well. To conclude, we felt like home and didn't want to leave. We really loved this place.
As a little tip for the owner (we could see he put a lot of effort in creating the Cielomare residence that's sure) but just a few small remarks would be: a tiny little bit of more cleanness also for the cutlery and a bigger water boiler.
We hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: The higher the apartment the better! For couples I would suggest Annibale.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marshaa81
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The room was great and full of character, the view amazing. The bathroom was clean and modern. Located in The old city center, everything nearby. It was awesome that We could use bycicles, that was specially for The renters. The owner and receptionist were very kind, and so helpfull! We had a great time, cielo mare contributed a great deal!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Though I arrived to the reception in late afternoon, a bit delayed because I've got lost in the backstreets, Mariagloria was waiting patiently, very welcoming and friendly. When I returned the next day to check out some details I got a very personal and useful information about f.e.the terass on the roof, the fish market, restaurants, shops - and trips outside the city; the salt fields, using the free bicycles, the ancient town Erice. I stayed at the studio,right across the port, enjoying the marine sounds from the ferries, the huge cruisers and the scent from the roasted chest nuts in the evening. The studio was spacious, nice and clean, with a very functional, equiped small kitchen - just perfect for a single person.
Though the character was a bit ruff, I did like the the back streets of old Trapani, as an image of just an "ordinary life town" in Sicilia.
I had a really nice stay at Cielomare, catching late summer in Trapani. And even though I made the mistake to leave the balcony doors open the first night, forgetting the mosquitos that bite like crazy I will always remember the very special beat of the trapanese heart...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I just got back from Trapani, where I stayed at the wonderful Cielomare. A friend recommended it to me, so I did not do too much research before going and I was not sure what to expect. I arrived with a late flight, and I was not expecting any warm welcome at that time of the night. So the first surprise was to find Enzo (Vincenzo Terranova, the owner) in the street waiting for me. He helped me with the suitcase up to the 4th floor of this old building. The flat we were staying (Asdrubale) was the second surprise. Enzo designed it by himself, choosing a provencal style and taking care of all details. The flat is very bright, airy and overlook the most beautiful part of the city, le mura di ponente. During the day you can seat in the wonderful terrace and enjoy a wonderful blue sea just few steps from the flat, during the evening you can admire African like sunsets. At night there is a wonderful breeze coming in from the sea and giving some relief from the Sicilian heat. The beautiful thing abut Cileomare is that you are right in the centre of the old city, immersed in the real life of a not too touristy city and at the same time you are right by a wonderful blue sea. Gloria, Enzo's assistant, is as helpful as ever, supporting you with finding local tuna fish sellers, nice restaurants, boats to visit the islands in front and any other issue. I am planning to go back to Trapani very soon and I have no doubt that Cielomare will be again where I choose to stay. Gaia Gozzo

Room Tip: Asdrubale is a wonderful two double rooms flat, with a big wonderful terrace overlooking the sea. An...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here late February, cold night, fresh mornings, nice days.
This is a very nice place to enjoy Trapani. The owner, Signore Terranova (Enzo), is a real Sicilian gentleman. He was waiting in the street for us to arrive. He brought our suitcases eight stairs up to the wonderful apartment with sea view. He immediately offered coffee at a local bar. We felt at home at the first moment. There are bicycles which you can use, for free. Again very nice, we went to the salt mines on bicycle. I love cooking, Signore Terranova (Enzo) brought me an octopus to cook, it was still living.... what can i say more?
If you want to go to Sicily and stay with real Sicilian people, go there.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LucianoBelgium
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our expectations weren’t set very high for an apartment in Trapani because of what people described the city to be like, and the reception area of the apartments was actually in quite a dodgy looking area since it was in the backstreets etc (even though it was right near a beach so that was nice). Our actual apartment was amazing, overlooking the port (RIGHT in the centre of Trapani) on the third floor (no lift). It was a studio apartment so it wasn’t big, but it was spacious, clean and modern! Mariagloria could speak English quite well and was very helpful, telling us where to go, what to do, parking issues (very complicated in Trapani, and there’s barely anywhere to park for the night).. she even offered to keep our luggages since we were leaving late on check out day.

Room Tip: Ask for the studio apartment overlooking the port!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple