“A great beach location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makry-Gialos
Maria Tsanakalioti's Apartments
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I won't repeat what most of the reviews have already said, it is all true! Being right on the beach was fantastic for my partner and I with our 2 year old, once our son was down for a sleep we were able to have our 'five minutes peace' out on our patio, better than being stuck in an apartment with a balcony let me tell you!

I have a few points though that I think should be addressed -
1. I think the kitchen needs to be renovated, we were there for 3 weeks and it was very difficult to even make a sandwich without getting crumbs everywhere, which wouldn't bother me but the ants will find it and an army will appear! a little thought would go a long way if it had an extra worktop and cupboard.

2. I have been in may Greek bathrooms but I think it's time that Maria should get with the times and put in shower that you don't have to hold with one hand and wash with the other, also it was nightmare trying to wash our son as there was no plug and he is too young for a shower, we fixed that by buying a paddling pool.

3. Our son's cot broke in the last 4 days of the holiday, we told Maria and it was supposed to be fixed, we had propped it up with some books. It couldn't be fixed and it was left that way. I'm sorry but a travel cot costs just a few pounds, it could have been replaced!

4. Our bed was too hard!

5. We had a ground floor studio, we had the only one that wasn't separated by the kitchen, the noise from the road was terrible late at night, it sounded like some cars were going through the village at a mighty speed!

I know the above sounds like I'm a bit of a moan but this is our holiday for the year, and a few small things could have made it just that little bit better. Otherwise all I can say is that the studios are in the best location you could find and Maria was nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank linda_cLondon

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have thought very long and hard about writing a review about this place at all. I am still not sure that I want to share with all you lot how brill it is, but eventually my sense of duty over-rode my selfishness and here we go: My 3 oldest boys and I spend a week in July this year in one of the studios at Maria Tsanakaliotis, as other people have described Maria and her family are really lovely people, perfect hosts and Despoina is very knowledgeable about a very surprising variety of things. (Perfect for someone like me who is always bothering the locals for all manner of information.)

The accomodation itself was the most perfect location we have stayed in as a family. In the morning I just had to open the back door to the beach and the kids could start to enjoy themselves. No packing of bags, walking anywhere or getting into a hot car in order to get some beach action was a revelation. The studios are petit, but nicely furnished and are well equipped kitchen wise. The studio was pleasant,cool and we only had to use the airconditioning a couple of time for a few hours. The terrace to the beach has a mini garden (some vegetables) in front of it and there is a lovely (tamarisk?) tree, which offers lots of shade if you want it. The beach is nice and shallow and also has a lovely sand bank, which the kids enjoyed. Some parts have pebbles right at the front, but I think this changes from year to year depending on the previous winter.
The location in the village is perfect with all facilities in close walking distance.
Although I have given it an excellent, there are a couple of things I think you should be aware of when booking. The extra bed(s) is in the kitchen and the kitchen is also the main entrance, which goes straight onto the village road. This means that there is a considerable amount of noise in that room and if you have children that sleep lightly this may be a real problem. Ours slept just fine, but I did put up my black travel cloth in order to block out the light as the sun rises that way too.
You also may have to think again if you have an insect phobia, - the studios are very clean, but this being directly on the beach and having a little greenery around it, it means you do get a certain amount of exposure to the cretan flora and fauna. Personally I'd rather have some green around me than a sterile environment, but I understand some people can't relax around insects and the odd (very beautiful) lizard. ( I would suggest a big hotel complex instead, but even that is no guarantee on an island like Crete)

Makrygialos itself was a very pleasant surprise. Admittedly the drive across the island to it is no where near as stunning as the drive to Plakias, but on the plus side the roads are very good, fairly straight and I didn't have the kids queuing up for the sick bag, - always a bonus! The village itself is not as overdeveloped as Galini has become (in my humble opinion) and I loved the traditional feel of it. What I really was the impression that makrygialos is a fully functioning village all year around and the local are very friendly and are themselves quite an ecclectic mix of people. Many completely local, some from the mountain villages, some who grew up in northern europe before returnig to their roots and many people who have studied aborad.

So, I would be much oblidged if you could please leave your booking as late as possible so I get a chance to sort mine out first, as we are planning to return to Marias as many times as possible in the next few years. Thanks ever so much!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MissKriti
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed at Maria's for 2 nights beginning of July and we loved it! We were not able to get a room with a sea view but as we were in our room just for sleeping this was not a problem. When we arrived we had a wonderful welcome by Maria and her daughter Despina. They offered us frappé, drinks and cakes in their own living room. We had a good laugh. It was like a family reunion. You can see that they have a passion to welcome their guests and they take very good care of them. In our room, we had fruits and homemade cake. Those of you who are looking for a fancy 5* Deluxe extravagant place, pass your way. Maria is a hidden gem for people who really love Crete, the Greek hospitality, and the real simple life made of blue sea, good fresh grilled fish and good laugh! We enjoyed our stay and as a former reviewer wrote "helpful atmosphere is something money cannot buy"!

Room Tip: If you have the chance book a room with a sea view?
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MicheleParis
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We recently stayed at Maria's. After a very busy visit on the island of Karpathos, our plans were for a relaxing time on the beach. We were not disappointed. Maria's husband met us at Sitia airport. It was a lovely drive down to the south of Crete. We were driving through the main street of Makrgialos and there we were at the front door of our apartment. Maria greeted us at the door, and once inside we were in a very well-equipped kitchen with coffee maker, kettle, toaster, and small toaster-oven, stove top unit, table and chairs... wonderful for our needs. Beyond was a good sized shower room, beyond which was a lovely double bedroom, a shelf full of books and good sized wardrobe. From the bedroom we opened the doors to our own patio right on the beach. Outside was a private table and chairs, umbrella, and our own sunbeds and umbrella right on the beach. It was exactly what we were looking for. Maria's wonderful welcoming included a beer and juice in the fridge, some tomatoes, onion, lettuce, olive oil for a salad, and a dish of sweets on the table. We stayed for six nights and very much enjoyed ourselves. If you are looking for a nice simple beachfront location, I highly recommend Maria's.

Room Tip: I recommend the ground floor units right on the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We spent a wonderful week in Maria's guest house, The hospitality and friendly , helpful atmosphere is something that money cannot buy. The family embrace their visitors as though they were part of their own family. We got breakfast the first day we arrived, homemade cakes , fruit and veg and many other lovely little touches that made us feel truly welcome.We look forward to returning soon.Really good value for money.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank christine d
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We spent 6 days at Maria Tsanakalioti's Apartments and we liked it. When I booked, asked a top floor sea view room and we've got it. The apartment was very cosy, well-kept and super clean. It has AC and it was very necessary, because the room was very hot. My favourite was the partly separated balcony with perfect sea view. There was a small corridor between our balcony door and our balcony and it was used by other guests, who were going to the beach, so we had less privacy than I expected earlier.
WIFI worked well.
The owner and her daughter were very friendly, helpful and we got many presents from them (e.g. tomato from the garden, olive oil, oregano, home-made cakes, etc.) and they took care of everything, they are very good people.
Thank you very much for their grate hospitality. :)

Room Tip: Apartment Nr. 3 and 4 with sea view balconies
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank csz75
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We booked for 3 nights, but left after 1. We found the hosts a little bit overdoing it. We had the feeling of constantly being watched, no privacy at all. The balcony was shared so you can not really use is as your own terrace. Somehow it looked better on the pictures than in real. The room looked like a childrens room, the bed needed a new matras as the springs were pushing in our backs. I read a lot of good comments here, so I guess it must be a subjective thing. But if you want a minimum of luxury and a nice atmosphere when you step out the door there are better choices. However, if you like a simple and cheap room with a youth hostel feel this might be the place for you.An other reason we left early was Makrygialos itself. It has got no charmes at all, with dirty streets and we did not find the quality food we found in other places on the island. No effort had been done to make it a picturesque village. We felt so much better when we left and found a suberb hotel with a real cosy atmosphere (for only 20€ a night more).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank levensgenieter_65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makry-Gialos
Villea Village
#10 of 33 in Makry-Gialos
Perigiali Apartments
Perigiali Apartments
#7 of 33 in Makry-Gialos

Been to Maria Tsanakalioti's Apartments? Share your experiences!