“Be Careful When Checking Out”
Review of Duplin Winery

Duplin Winery
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Rose Hill
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take a step off the beaten path and discover a hidden gem in Rose Hill filled with rustic charm and southern hospitality. Delight your taste buds with our award winning muscadine wines and learn about our family history on a winery tour. Our staff will share entertaining and amusing family stories and educate you on the wine-making process. Enjoy a delightful meal in our Bistro or relax in our courtyard with a glass of sweet Duplin wine. Our retail store offers a variety of wine accessories and specialty boutique items. Whether you are in town for a visit or you live nearby, Duplin Winery's fun and relaxing atmosphere sweetens any day.
Raleigh, North Carolina
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Be Careful When Checking Out”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

On our way back from Topsail Beach the three of us stopped here to do a tasting and have a little picnic. We tasted 14 wines for free which was very nice. However when we decided to get a drink to go with our picnic and went to pay, we said we were paying for two and that my friend was paying for her own. The cashier said she hadn't rang anything up so that it was fine. I thought the total was high for two drinks but didn't think too much about it until we were eating our lunch. She had charged us for all three drinks and had also charged my friend for a glass of wine instead of the slushie she had bought. (A glass of wine is cheaper than a slushie.) I took this to mean that the cashier didn't want to own up to charging us for three drinks and needed to charge something to my friend. We enjoyed our picnic and since we did like some of their wines we decided to buy a case (in order to get the discount). When checking out my husband thought the total was too high but the cashier (a different one this time) said "oh no, everything is correct" and she said this a few times, but he pulled out his phone and tallied up the prices, turns out she didn't give us our discount. She never did apologize or anything.

So to make a long story short, go here and enjoy their tasting, but be careful when checking out as I find it strange that we got over-charged twice in one visit.

3 Thank SquirrelGirl39

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Charming staff and delicious wine”
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We travelled 6 hrs to visit this vineyard. They were harvesting grapes so we could not tour but spent 2 hrs at a FREE tasting of 12 wines, signed up for the wine club so we would receive 3 wines quarterly for a moderate fee, got 25 per cent off a case of our favorite Black River Red muscadine based red wine, and started our Christmas shopping in their very nice gift shop. Stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Wallace and eat at the Mad Boar next to the hotel.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank MaggieDar
Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Birthday suprise”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were on our way to the beach and decided to stop. We took the tour and our guide was very intereasting. We had a good time wine tasting. I dont care for wine but my husband does. They helped me find something I did like. When I did find something I liked they gave me a bottle because it was my Birthday. I was very suprised. The best wine by far wa.s Queen Ann's Revenge . We will go back.

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great Winery & Tour”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stopped here on our way to Topsail Beach last Saturday and really enjoyed our visit. We signed up for the noon tour at around 11:30 AM and spent 1/2 hour in their gift shop, sampling sauces and dips and looking around the shop. This was a pretty large gift shop with the typical wine accessories but it also had other North Carolina made products and general gift shop items. We could have spent more time there but our tour was called. We were surprised that we needed to get back in our car for the tour and drive a few minutes up the road to their production facility but the tour was great from start to finish, about 45 minutes. Frank, our tour guide, was extremely knowledgeable both about the winery itself and about the muscadine wine industry. He was able to answer all of the questions the group posed and injected humor along with his narration. If you do go to this winery, definitely leave time for the tour as it's a good one, better than several I've taken in Napa and Sonoma wine country.

Once the tour was ended, we went back to the winery for our group tasting. The standard tasting is 14 wines so be prepared for that. One tip our guide advised was that if there was a particular wine on the tasting menu that we didn't want to taste (example: it was sweet and we didn't like sweet wine) to merely cross it off our list and then we could substitute another wine not on the tasting menu to taste after the regular tasting had ended.

Every person we came in contact with at this winery was extremely pleasant and welcoming, going out of their way to make us feel at home. If you are anywhere near this winery during your travels, we recommend that you make some time for a visit to Duplin. You won't regret it.

1 Thank jasgld
Wilmington, Delaware
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“So interesting!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a free tour and tasting so why would you pass this up? I am so glad we did not! The tour was so interesting and amazing and ours was given by the VP of marketing such a down to earth guy. The wine tasting was awesome and there was not a we did not like. This American born and bred company produces a supreme product that is second to none! Would love to visit again

Visited May 2013