“Not, not good”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2014

If you are American, this place is horrible. The beer was just above drinkable. The Carbonara was the worst "safe" for I ever ate. Fries were ok.

I literally had to hold my breath because of the stench in the building.

Don't go there. Yuck.

Date of visit: August 2014

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Been to Yangzhou twice, and had the good fortune to visit the Old Brewery both times. On the visit last week, sad to say the service did not match previous experience; very slow, especially with my steak (my companions had nearly finished their meals before mine arrived). However, the quality of the food was great, the beer is excellent - I had the Dark Lager and the Pilsener, both brewed on site - and the entertainment is good.

Date of visit: June 2014
Reviewed February 22, 2014

If I could rate it 2.5 stars (or circles) I would have (as it wasn't quite poor and wasn't quite average). I have been here a couple of times with experiences being different each time, but one thing being consistent - poor service. The first time I went it was fine. Food was good (ribs) and although the service was pretty poor (not uncommon around these parts) we left happy.

The second time I went with my husband on my birthday, he ordered the ribs and I asked for a recommendation and I was suggested the pork knuckle (or some pork on the bone type dish). I was warned that it would take at least half an hour to prepare and I was ok with that. It arrived and I was very disappointed with my choice, it was dry and tasteless. The waiter came to our table and asked us if we were enjoying our meal, I had to be honest and say that I wasn't enjoying it. He asked if I would like my dish made again, but at this stage I wasn't interested in having to wait at least another half an hour for something that would probably taste the same. Although I did appreciate that a suggestion was made to remedy the situation as this rarely happens in restaurants in China (in my experience). I did not finish my meal (this is rare for me). I ate about a quarter of it and left the rest. I left this time disappointed and wishing I had gone somewhere else for my birthday meal. My husband enjoyed his ribs though. We did purchase a small coke and were charged 18RMB, one very expensive bottle of coke when I have been charged 1.5RMB for the same bottle of coke at other restaurants.

The third time I went to take out a work colleague who was sick of Chinese food and wanted something different. This time I played it safe and ordered the ribs. Ribs were nice and were a good portion size. My colleague enjoyed her meal and the beer she ordered (was an imported one). Meal was satisfactory, although expensive but is to be expected as it is a Western restaurant.

For such an expensive restaurant compared to others around YZ I wish they concentrated some of their efforts on training their service staff. I don't think I need to ask for cutlery or when my drink is going to arrive (after waiting for 10 minutes). Also I don't appreciate trying to get the staffs attention when I know that they are trying to avoid eye contact or when I can tell that they can see that I have waved my hand and they still don't come. There was also a problem with clearing plates, something that becomes more annoying when I can see the staff just standing there or huddling together doing nothing. Service is such an important key in a customers overall dining experience, so it's incredibly frustrating to have been let down every time.

I would not visit again by choice, but unfortunately it's the only decent Western restaurant I know of so I will probably be back there someday.

Date of visit: July 2013
1  Thank Sheree B
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was a good experience for me, but different. Most western breweries have simple food. This place is quite upscale with the food and the decor. The furnishings and decoration are very modern and Chinese. The Belgian style homemade beer tasted homemade at first (think mold and metal) but it kind of grew on me as I drank it. The food menu has pizza and burgers, but many upscale items as well. I ordered a crab salad and foie gras. The crab salad was pretty good, but the foie gras was great both in quality, presentation, and flavor profile. Both the crab and the foie were paired well with accompaniments.

Date of visit: August 2013
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We enjoyed this brewery during a business trip. There's lots to tell about and against Belgians for sure, but when it comes to BEER, I'm pretty confident that our reviews based on experience will count. So, we entered the Old Brewery and smelled and noticed the welcome existence of the brewing installation next to the dining hall. This truly is a brewery! The beers were simply good, to be compared with German style Wheat beers and pilsners. The food was really great wit lots of choice, I personally didn't even expect such a nice presentation! This is not regular chinese cuisine, but rather more western oriented. In the back, there was a false karaoke singing going on, and as the evening went furter, the place started looking more and more like a drunk karaoke place, but average this was one good experience...

Date of visit: April 2013