Review Highlights
CNY in Zhangjiajie

We are a family of four. My 10 year old twins really enjoyed the scenary and overall atmosphere in... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
LDiallo
via mobile
Great experience

We did a private tour to Zhangjiajie with China Highlights in July and had a great time! It was... read more

Reviewed July 28, 2022
clschomaker1
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Zhangjiajie
from $196.77
from $684.22
from $115.00
from $519.74
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 7, 2021 via mobile

I wouldn’t normally use a tour company. But I decided to this time because of how quickly China closes off areas during the pandemic and how little communication gets translated into English. I decided to do this tour with a guide so that if there were an outbreak, I could rely on them for information and to get out of the area quickly.

My guide in Zhangjiajie was Tony. He did his best to make me feel welcome, and show me the best of his area. Zhangjiajie is very wet - 250days/year, so make sure you’re prepared with a proper poncho, dry sac, waterproof shoes, quick-dry clothes etc. The first day I was there it poured. Despite having a poncho on, I still ended up with a wet bag and wet clothes. Glad I had a life proof case on my phone or I wouldn’t be able to have gotten any photos. During our days together, he was very good about choosing local lunch spots and introducing me to the local specialities, I happily ate the “street food” that he introduced me to that was near my hotel (The Pullman)- and ended up going back to this area for other meals. It was cheap, tasty, and easy to get to. Tony has excellent English, and a rich knowledge about the local people and traditions.

It’s true what others have posted about the Chinese tourists literally pushing their way through for things, and huge queues. I’m an early riser, so I was shocked that Tony suggested we start at 10am most days; however, his logic was sound. All the Chinese tour busses are up and heading out at 730/8am and then in they are in the queues. If we had gone at that time, I would have been standing for hours for the elevator or cable cars instead of using the hotel gym or having a leisurely breakfast. Avoid places like this all together on a Chinese National Holiday, there will be no hiding from the hordes then! I went for a weekend (Sat-Mon), and not on a Chinese holiday, but it was still hard to get some photos, and I still had to queue for things (30ish min) because of the numbers of tourists.

If I were to go again, I would do 2-3 days in the National Park alone (Hallelujah Mountain, Mount Tianzi) but do more actual trekking. You can see the “highlights” of the park in 1 day, if you take the various shuttle busses between places. However, there are several paths that allow you to walk up or down the mountainside. You can take the cable car up (have your camera ready!), and then it is possible to walk down, but apparently it takes 3-4hrs, and there are several thousand stairs. I wanted to do that, but was short on time so ended up taking the cable car down. The national park does close late afternoon, so it’s important to start your descent early enough. If you choose to hike up, then you’ll probably want an early start to your day.

The Zhangjiajie flights are notoriously late due to weather, so try to schedule one for the early evening, to avoid being up all night.
The best time to go will be March/April or Oct/Nov. During the summer some things are closed because of too much rain, during the winter, some things are closed due to snow/ice.

I highly recommend China Highlights tours, and if you come to Zhangjiajie, ask for Tony!

Date of experience: March 2021
1  Thank MusicMandy
Steven Z, Guest Relations Manager at China Highlights Zhangjiajie, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2021

Hi there

We appreciate you have taken the time to share about your travel experience. Indeed, having a guide during this time, in the midst of a pandemic, is helpful in case things turn to custard. However, we're so pleased that everything went well, and your guide Tony ensured you had a fantastic and memorable time.
Thanks for the recommendation, and we hope that we can be of service to you again.

Reviewed April 25, 2021

This has got to be the most beautiful place in China! It was an amazing trip! I was nervous to travel alone with two young children, but Ann made it so easy and fun! She is an excellent guide! She took us to some delicious restaurants. She even sang us some beautiful, traditional Chinese songs! We stayed at the beautiful Crowne Plaza Zhangjiajie. They provided a delicious breakfast and everything we needed.
Our tours took us to the National Park, the Tianzi Mountain, the Hallelujah Mountains, the Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon, Tianmen Mountain and Baofeng Lake. I am from Arizona and have been to the Grand Canyon there many times. I am so glad I finally got to see China's Grand Canyon--absolutely breathtaking! China really has created some amazing infrastructure that makes seeing all of these even more spectacular! The kids loved the glass bridge, the glass walkway, the ride down the mountain in an elevator, the ride down the mountain in an escalator and the amazing zip line. China Highlights never disappoints. We are so grateful to them for allowing us to see places all over China in such a relaxing and stress-free way. They go above and beyond anything you can imagine.

Date of experience: April 2021
Steven Z, Guest Relations Manager at China Highlights Zhangjiajie, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2021

Hi there

Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to plan your holiday with your two children. We're pleased that we were able to ease any nerves you had, and to ensure that you and your children had a fun time exploring this part of China.
This is indeed a beautiful place to visit and we're glad that we did not disappoint you with the plans that was laid out for you to explore and enjoy.
We do hope that we can see you and your children again.

All the best

Reviewed April 23, 2021

We had another amazing tour with China Highlights. Total 5 days in zhangjiajie and Fenghuang was so good. Everthing we saw was spectacular. I highly recommend you visit Zhangjiajie with China Highlights. Get a hold of Christy who is always great with the best itinerary and ask for the amazing guide Lily. Lily made us feel like home. Lily, thank you for bringing our morning coffee all the way to our hotel:) knowing we wouldn't have survived without coffee!
Many thanks to you all! Looking forward to our next adventure.

HI there

We're pleased you had an amazing time with us in Zhangjiajie. Lily certainly went out of her way to ensure your coffee survived the trip to your hotel, so you could get through the day!! We're also looking forward to help you plan your next adventure.
Keep in touch.

Reviewed April 12, 2021

I am absolutely impressed with this place. I did a private three day tour that included Zhangjiajie National Park, Tianzi Mountain, Grand Canyon, Glass Bridge, Baofeng Lake and Tianmen Mountain, and all of it was perfect.
Alisa and Kevin from China Highlights did a fantastic job, arranging everything smoothly. Thank you for that. I highly recommend.

Date of experience: April 2021
Steven Z, Guest Relations Manager at China Highlights Zhangjiajie, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2021

HI there

Thanks for booking a 3-day private tour with us. We're encouraged to read that your trip was arranged well by Kevin.
We hope we can serve you again.

Reviewed December 16, 2020

I did a private three day tour that included Zhangjiajie National Park, Tianzi Mountain, Grand Canyon, Glass Bridge, Baofeng Lake and Tianmen Mountain, and all of it was amazing. Ann from China Highlights did a fantastic job, arranging everything smoothly so I got the most out of my experience. She went the extra mile taking me to wonderful restaurants where I ate the best food I have had living in China for the last 4 years. The scenery is breathtaking and there are a lot of adventurous activities. I would most definitely recommend China Highlights to help with your trip, it made things so easy. Zhangjiajie is absolutely worth the visit. I had an incredible time here.

Date of experience: December 2020
Steven Z, Guest Relations Manager at China Highlights Zhangjiajie, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2021

Hi Carolyn F

Thanks for sharing how your visit to this area went. We appreciate the recommendation and hope that while you are still in China, or even if you have returned home, we can arrange more trips for you and your friends in the future.