“Typical local Chinese hotel!”

Vaya International Hotel
Ranked #18 of 1,426 Hotels in Changsha
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A typical local Chinese hotel in need of better cleanliness in the rooms. The breakfast was basic and nothing special compared to others that I have had in China. I was disappointed with the complimentary wifi, which I could not even detect in my room. With that said, it is a good value property to stay at when visiting Changsha.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Vaya International Hotel

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Vaya Hotel in the Local Governmant area of Changsha looks fab on the surface, scratch a little and you will find where the real problem lies. In the cleanliness. The long shag pile carpet in the reception seating area is filthy. The carpets in the bedrom floor hallways are filthy. The bedroom carpets are filthy. Our room had the smell of local pub before the smoking ban. Ok, I do not sleep on the floor, slippers are provided and the bed was clean however what a waste of beautiful carpets.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bandmomma
Reviewed July 31, 2011

In all fairness, some of the not-so-positive comments made about this hotel in earlier reviews are a bit exaggerated. For one, this is a Chinese-run hotel according to China's (inner city) management style. One must recognise that in China, only a handful of five-star hotels in the big cities such as Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou are truly comparable to the best in other parts of the world. So let's not be too harsh on this outfit in one of the inner cities which is actually considered a second-tier (or even third) city in China.

Vaya seems a bit dated, admittedly and some of its facilities are showing wear and tear. The service is sub-standard, but not non-existent. There are many smokers in the lobby and even in the non-smoking rooms, but this is only to be expected. The Chinese don't care about this rule and if you are so bothered by this, then don't come to China. They're like that and I accept it. To me, most importantly, the rooms are adequate and clean enough to stay in, and the food at the restaurants are of acceptable standards. The internet access in the room works well, and I got the king-sized bed which I requested for. So nothing too spectacular, but nothing to really complain about.

I was there on the invitation of one of my clients, so I won't know how much the rates cost. I was told it's more expensive than the Wyndham, but I am sceptical. Location wise, it's really some distance from the centre of town. But the gardens surrounding the hotel are beautiful. I think if you aren't too fussy, then maybe you'll find it comfotrable enough here. But lots of caveats, as I'd said.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sal the Fat Fish
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Great value for money hotel / friendly team with good english . Location a little bit out of town centre , but we got a 15 min taxi which is easy and convenient .

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2011

You can't really expect to have a smoke free experience in China - its a smoker friendly place I've come to accept.

This hotel though takes it to the extreme. It advertises as having non smoking areas but they just don't enforce it at all. Even our non smoking room came with two ashtrays and numerous packets of matches..

People smoke at the buffet, in the lifts, and pretty much everywhere else. So much so there is a permanent smoke haze in the building.

For a place that's pretty upmarket it's a bit much. Having staying in plenty of Chinese hotels over a month this was worse by a country mile. ..

If you can handle sauna like smoke haze then the facilities are good, staff pleasant and attentive with a location which is ok if you're happy to eat at the hotel as there's not much else nearby within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2011

During our 3 week stay with 7 assoiciates we were not notified in advance of a government meeting to take place in the hotel. The hotel shut down all services during 5 days of our visit. The staff was not prepared properly to deal with this inconvience. The gave wrong information and caused many problems and extra expenses for my business. When I requested to speak to the mananger he was unavailable to meet with us. The price of our meals was raised and room service was all that was availableIt remained empty and fully staffed. We lost all meeting space and had no resturant to hold meetings at during our stay. We were unfamiliar with the area had only had short times during our work day for meetings. We could not meet with vendors or any of our customers at the hotel. We had no where to go and there were too many of us to meet in a private room...There was a large room available on the 16th floor that was open for breakfast only. The staff did not know what to do with it the rest of the day or evening and denied entrance for anyone. It remained fully staffed and empty during the evening. We could not get taxis at the back door of the hotel where we were forced to enter and exit during the snow. This made our business in Changsha very difficult. We spent thousands of dollars to use this hotel facility and could not use any of the ammenities. There was not advance warning of this situation. I do not know of any other 5 star hotel that would fail so terribly when they need ot make special arrangements for security meetings. Surly this hotel knew in advance of the government meeting.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2009

The hotel is rated as 5++ stars, but I would give it 4. A good choice for $80-100, but not the posted rate of $150 for a double. The hotel structure is something akin to Las Vegas comes-to-China, since it was the indulgence of a rich Chinese owner. A huge multipe tower high rise with nearby (still empty) condo towers, several miles from the central CBD, which requires a taxi (about $3-4 USD), since there is nothing to walk to in the immediately surrounding area. The hotel is a testament to extensive use of marble & it is an attractive structure with nice public areas & numerous restaurants. The hotel also adjoins some very impressive grounds, where the owner has built 3 private villas (1 for his use & 2 to rent), along with recreations of ChineseTemples/Pagodas, a small lake & extensive walking trails. Very pleasant to stroll. Both the rooms & bathrooms are equally large, with a separate tub/shower layouts. Main complaint was location, & the fact that "no smoking" still means absolutely nothing in much of China, outside of Hong Kong. The entire hotel literally reeks of cigarette smoke, so if this is an important issue to you this is definitely not your hotel. Although there are areas designated as "non-smoking" it means absolutely nothing, since management allows visitors to smoke anywhere & everywhere without exception. You come in the entrance & you are met with a smoke bomb.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends