“Perfect Getaway”

Ranked #5 of 9 Ouirgane B&B and Inns
New York, New York, United States
“Perfect Getaway”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at Dar Tassa. Nothing but peace, tranquility, culture, and adventure. As a New Yorker, I wanted a peaceful getaway, and Mohammed, the bungalow host, assured me of it. Mohammed and the staff were very pleasant and friendly. I felt very welcomed and our needs were always met. I couldn't think of a better getaway in the beautiful country of Morocco. I still keep in touch with Mohammed to this day. I went there as a guest, and left with new friends. I 100% endorse Dar Tassa for anyone who travels to Morocco.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I visited Dar Tassa and I can honestly say that we were treated like family. The views of the mountain and valley below were outstanding. We went at the start of April and found it warm in the day but cooler in the evening and mornings. My favourite place was under the bedouin tents where you could relax, and still admire the views. The staff were lovely and made sure that our stay was home from home. The food was amazing with freshly made bread, olives picked from the groves in the valley, milk and butter locally produced, as well as juices. The food cooked by the chef was superb, with his tagine's, chicken, lamb, cooked on the barbecue, and salads. I can honestly say that I put on a few pounds during my stay as I couldn't say no. We were taken around the village on a walk down into the valley and the children were so appreciative of the pens and pencils were took along to give them. This is a place you must go and experience. This is now my favourite retreat

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view, it's stunning. Our favourite was the one at the base of the stairs fro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I think Dar Tassa has probably the most stunning location of anywhere I have stayed. The lodge is perched on the side of a cliff with 180 degree views down the valley and partly up it. The views from the terrace and Berber tent are breathtaking. It is also west facing, so you can see the sun go down in the evenings. The walk along the irrigation canal opens up more views and is perfect for a dip in the waterfall (about 15 minutes walk).

Mohammed and Said were excellent and welcoming hosts. Always available for any questions of requests. Fathima and Fathima were excellent kitchen and cleaning staff. Always a smile for us, and cooked up some nice (but not outstanding) food. There is also a bar, but sadly it was out of red wine on our 2nd night. We seemingly drunk the only bottle the night before!

My only quibble is that the mattress in the standard room was rather hard...at least for my soft European requirements! Some might complain there is no WiFi, but why would you want that in this beautiful setting. In fact, Mohammed rightly told us to turn off our electronics and relax on arrival. However, I was able to use the lodge's laptop to check into my return flight.

Room Tip: The standard rooms have no view and bathroom is outside of the room, but you save money! The junior...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pompeydunc
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Dar Tassa is a very nice and lovely guesthouse located in the Atlas mountains with a stunning view over the valley - best enjoyed while sipping an authentic mint tea on the terrace.
I enjoyed the three nights I stayed there a lot - not least thanks to the very friendly and helpful stuff, excellent fresh and tasty food and the beautiful setting and environment, which offers great hiking possibilities. My stay at Dar Tassa was one of the highlights of my Morocco trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
addictedtoafrica, Owner at Dar Tassa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and look forward to you returning again soon!
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My partner and I never really plan our trip and love lingering at places we like. Dar Tassa is one of those places you just want to stay. The lodge, view, food and managers are great. We ended up staying for 5 nights and enjoyed every minute of it. The managers Mohamed and Said really made us feel at ease. There are some recommendable hikes / trekking around as well. Great experience!

Room Tip: Try to book the mountain view rooms, great when waking up!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
addictedtoafrica, Owner at Dar Tassa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hi Inez, thanks for your review and for staying with us. Our mountain view rooms have now all been recategorised as superior rooms - these 4 rooms all have super views over the valley.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

A rustic hotel / guesthouse located on the edge of a village in the Atlas Mountains; this is the ideal place to get away from the hustle and bustle. Beautiful scenery, plenty of nearby mountain walks and excellent home cooked traditional food makes this a comfortable and relaxing place to stay. The staff are welcoming and polite and looked after us very well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the valley.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
addictedtoafrica, Owner at Dar Tassa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you Debbie for taking the time to write. We are delighted you enjoyed your meals with us. We do try to source organic food from within the local community which helps to create the tasty dishes we provide. We hope you will return again one day.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This authentic Moroccan getaway is good if you like to be at one with nature so to speak. My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights and it was a relaxing break. When we got there we had a warm Moroccan welcome of a glass of fresh milk and mixed nuts and dry fruit. The house is on top of hill and the whole village, it's absolutely unique. Good location for long walks, wild fruits and a little river swimming.

My only advice is to organise your own transfers and own activities because they tend to be over prized by the guest house. There is no phone network and the guest house will charge you for calling taxes or any call so be prepaid to pay additional charges. Also the food portions were on the smaller side and restricted in variety. Don't be afraid to haggle and understand the currency.

• Stayed September 2012
DarTassa, Owner at Dar Tassa, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for your review Walter and we are happy you enjoyed your stay at Dar Tassa last September, during the time of the previous management. From 1st March Dar Tassa is under new management and as a result of this change there have already been many improvements across all aspects of the business from refurbishments to service levels. Even back in September Dar Tassa did have a telephone network - it has always had a telephone network and I can absolutely reassure new guests that it is working - with both landline and mobile phone reception. The new Dar Tassa is very much a service-orientated lodge and we offer a fairly priced transfer service (which this year is certainly not over-priced) from Marrakech with options by private grand taxi, 4x4 or minibus - we can collect guests from any location and transfer them directly to the door of Dar Tassa. We actually highly recommend that guests do book transfers through us - purely as our drivers are familiar with our off-the-beaten-track location and offer a seemless journey in vehicles which are licensed and comply with local safety regulations. Our drivers usually speak English, are punctual and reliable. Since 1st March we employed 2 cooks - one of which trained at Kasbah Tamadot - and our meals are now regarded as one of the highlights of a stay, along with the spectacular location, variety of activities and friendliness and efficiency of our local team. Hopefully you will have time to stay with us again soon - I am sure you will be delighted with the changes we have made. Thanks again for your review. Best regards - Nick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ouirgane
Domaine de la Roseraie
#1 of 9 in Ouirgane
Hotel Tatfi
Hotel Tatfi
#6 of 9 in Ouirgane

Been to Dar Tassa? Share your experiences!