“Made our vacation!”
Review of Cape Hatteras KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rodanthe
Cape Hatteras KOA
Muncie, Indiana
“Made our vacation!”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Staying here for our Outer Banks vacation set the tone for our week. The location is great - more or less in the middle of OBX. We had site 320, a pull-thru site. Not very big, but easy to get into. The sites with the covered picnic tables and concrete pads looked very nice. The bathhouses are awesome, a complete private bathroom with sink, toilet, shower, plus lots of hooks to hang stuff. A laundry room in each bathhouse. Beach access via boardwalk through the dunes is awesome - so close to the beach! The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There are lots of things for kids: pool, mini-golf, 2 jump pads, water balloon launcher, playground. The camp store was well-stocked. This area in general seems very family-oriented; not a lot of big party groups.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ellwood City, PA
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We arrived 10 days after Hurricane Arthur. They were still in repair mode on some things, especially the camping cabins, but it did not affect our stay one bit. We reserved a Deluxe Sky Lodge. My parents and sister's family also rented ones this week. I saw the lodge with the ocean view, pool/playground view, and we were in the sound view side. ALL of them were nice. Our family of six enjoyed every minute of our vacation. We were there 4 nights, and could have stayed longer. Our lodge had a stove top, full frig, microwave, pots, dinnerware, and coffee pot. It slept 8. The pull out couch has an inflatable mattress, which our 10 year old twins slept on. By morning it had lost a lot of air. And my husband did not think the main bed mattress was all that comfortable, but it did not ruin our time. If you are picky about those things, it may bother you. I was just impressed with the staff...all those employees in yellow try their best to make your stay welcome. They were/are working so hard to get the campground up to full running order. My hats are off to them, because sometimes tourists are not easily pleased. We used their pool, laundry room, bouncy "thing", and loved the access to the beach and sound. We were here 4 years ago, before they turned it into a KOA resort. We loved it then, but love it even more now. We can't go every year because of price, but would do it if money were no object! Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Pros: Location, Price, Pool/Hot tub, Washrooms

Cons: Spaces are small and open

Its unfair to compare this campground to many of the others I've been to - but I am. Seeing that it sits on the outer banks, surrounded by beach and shore line, and not situated in the woods some place inland makes rating this campground difficult since those are my only comparisons.

To start off with the grounds are great. There isn't much in the way of trees like you would expect for a campground, but you have to remember where you are - and that threw me off a bit. The spaces are clean but a bit tight. I'm sure land prices aren't cheap in the area, so that likely is reflected in the amount of spots they try and make available.

We were tent camping, and seeing it was October there weren't too many of us. Each site has a firepit and a covered picnic table area. Be prepared for high winds. You'll want good tent stakes to keep you anchored. The campground is on the beach, so that breeze comes strong off the shore. We weren't able to make it down to the beach area (we were just passing through and needed a place for the night) so I can't comment on the beach at all.

The facilities at this campground are awesome. Beautiful pool (with several waterslides) and a nice warm hot tub. Both were open late which were awesome. Having the breeze makes sitting in the hot tub at night more bearable for someone like myself. The washrooms are awesome. Super modern and clean. The showers are amazing and you have a ton of privacy.

I would love to go back to this campground to really see what they offer. Having only passed through a night I know we didn't fully take in what they offer. They have a playground for kids and a beach we didn't even visit, lol. I've heard its hit or miss as far as KOA's are concerned, and this one is a "Hit" for sure!!

If you liked this review please let me know by hitting the "helpful" button at the end. Thanks and enjoy your trip!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the campground - not sure why this is listed as a hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Baltzer
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of June. It was clean and staff was friendly. Nice pool with slides. We wish there were lifeguards on duty and umbrellas on the tables. Seemed a little pricey but we had a good time. We rented bikes for the kids which were very rusty. They need to get new ones. The mini golf area was pathetic and full of weeds. They discounted to $1 which seemed about the right price for the course. We would likely go back. Everything was clean and that's most important to us!!

• Stayed June 2014
Lewisburg, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Clean restrooms, tie dye t-shirts, nice pool, individual showers and bathrooms, refund due to hurricane no questions asked, great site with shelter. Easy access to water sports and restaurants. All around five star experience. Would recommend campground to others.

Stayed July 2014
Strasburg, Virginia
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We began staying at KOA Hatteras when our children were small. They are now 29 and 24! We have always enjoyed our camping there, even back in the small tent days. Nowadays, my wife and I often go by ourselves, and I have even just come back from spending 4 glorious days there myself. These days, we rent a small cabin, and we love it. Our own little porch for sitting and swinging, a fire pit and a picnic table to use, short treks to the bathhouses, all make for a very enjoyable stay for us! The stretch of beach is beautiful there, and if you want, you can even travel north of Rodanthe a few miles and check out the Pea Island beaches! It's just beautiful.
The only complaint I may have would be that the internet service there is often sketchy. It's important to me, as I often need to stay connected to work to be able to take a vacation like that. They seem to try, but I think they need to just find a new provider.

Room Tip: Platform beds with a decent mattress, but they are vinyl covered. I found taking along an inexpensiv...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I'd have thought that this park would have had some shady sites for the hefty price. They have everything else so don't let this put you off if it's not hot weather as it's in a great spot and the facilities are good.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rodanthe
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
#9 of 13 in Nags Head
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras KOA? Share your experiences!