“Loved this campground & dog-friendly!!”
Review of Cape Hatteras KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rodanthe
Cape Hatteras KOA
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We arrived at the Outer Banks on a whim on our way home to SC from VT and we made an excellent choice with the KOA. After riding/biking around/through a few other campgrounds, we quickly came to the decision that the KOA was the nicest campground in the area. If you have kids, then you are in luck because there was plenty to do - the bounce thing was popular, the zero-entry pool was big & very nice, they had movies at night, a big playground, and of course, the beach!! There's a DQ across the street, as well as a little café that was really good (but a bit pricey for what you got). The KOA staff we encountered were very friendly. There were a couple computers available free of charge for campers who wanted to use the internet (or were having trouble with their Wi-Fi). We had a spot on the ocean which was great - much better than in the middle of the place, crammed into a long row of campers. Our spot was right next to the bathhouse and walkway to the beach but it wasn't a problem at all - our relax area faced away from all that. The campground was super dog-friendly and lots of people had their furry friends with them. One of our dogs is on a training collar and they were fine with that, as opposed to a leash. After the busy time of day & in the morning we could let them all run on the beach freely which was awesome!! At $100/night it was very expensive compared to other campgrounds, but I imagine it's in line with the area and cheaper than other accommodations on the outer banks. If we come back to the outer banks with the camper, I can assure you we'll stay at the KOA!

Room Tip: I recommend a spot on the beach or on outside of each row, away from primary traffic
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mandu18
There are newer reviews for Cape Hatteras KOA

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just got back from 7 days in a deluxe cabin at the front of the property, costing us almost $200/night. On the positive side, we had a view of the sound and the accommodations were adequate. The location was spot on, with easy access to both the beach and the sound, as well as central to attractions north and south. The kids loved the pool, especially the waterslides! The negatives were the cleanliness and the customer service. When we arrived, I commented that the floor didn't feel clean. My husband offered to mop with a towel, and the towel turned BLACK. He showed the front desk. Their response: "Okay." Both our shower curtain liner and our dish drainer had slimy pink mold on them. We removed the curtain and lined the dish drainer each day with paper towels. Had to make the kids beds and set the time on the clocks. Hot tub was not hot for 3/7 days of our stay. Front desk response: "A lot of people have been complaining about it today, but that's just how it is." Wi-Fi did not work the entire time. Front desk response: "There are just too many people here with too many devices." Water went out in the middle of making dinner one night. Called the front desk and they said they'd have it fixed in no more than 15 minutes. Took over an hour. When you go to exchange the towels the ladies at the desk act like you're mad at you for doing so. A few smiles and pleasantries would go a long way but they really act like they don't care. We are the type of people that make do with what we have and let stuff roll off us, but I have to say by the end of the week it was starting to get to us, especially after dropping 1.4K on our cabin. The one exception to poor customer service was Jose, who went out of his way to help us find our son's missing life jacket. Thanks Jose!! I doubt we will go back, but if we ever do we'll bring cleaning supplies!

Room Tip: The deluxe cabins at the front of the cabin, the "Longboarder" and the "Kiteboarder&q...
5  Thank m0mmybrain
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We are novice RVers, but this campground is fantastic! Far exceeded our expectations. We were on a site just steps from the beach, but really any site in the campground is close. Only warning - the beach is not guarded, good to know if you have kids. I had wifi enough to search things on my iPad - things to do, hours, restaurants, etc. Never a problem, and our site was probably the furthest from the main building. The facilities are beautiful, new, and clean. The store and cafe are a little pricey, but not more than you'd find in other resorts. The pool is great- my kids loved it, along with the big bouncy pillow they have to jump on. Sitting up at the pool, it was like being at a nice resort. It's very dog-friendly, as is the beach. The staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. It was a wonderful stay, and we will definitely be back again!

2  Thank Martinkaren114
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'll start with my 2 very minor complaints: the wifi was spotty at best and the water pressure in the showers was not great. I've never stayed at a hotel or campground where the wifi was very good and on the beach, water pressure always tends to be low. This was our first trip in our new travel trailer. We stayed in a full-hookup pull through site. No complaints about the site itself. It was a short walk to the beach. The beach was excellent. Not crowded and the waves were great for boogie boarding. The pool is very nice and our kids loved the playground and jumping pillow. The store was very nice. When we arrived, our site was not ready, but we only waited about a half hour and they gave us a free night. We only spent 4 days there and it wasn't long enough. We will definitely come back.

1  Thank Brent_LS
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Just spend 6 days at KOA Cape Hatteras. Cable and WiFi were supposed to be included in the 84$ a night for a campsite! Hell no, we had 3 days without cable and the entire 6 days without WiFi. Staff had always the same stupid answer why we couldn't get WiFi, ''There is too many kids that are downloading songs on their cell phones!!!''. They should UPGRADE their system, it is not working!!!! We chose that campground because they advertised that those services were included, but they were not. Don't go to that campground if you have to stay in touch with the WiFi, go next door to the Camp Hatteras where they offer what they say they are unlike KOA. Poor service, nice beach. Never going back there!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank RV1234
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at deluxe cabin with ocean view (1201).

Pros:
-Close to beach on both sides, Atlantic Ocean and Sound
-Playground and Pool on site

Cons:
-There was a gas leaking from Gas Grill and no actions were taken until I left. I used my portable gas grill instead.
-No coffee refill bags at the main building for in-room coffee machine, so without coffee during my stay.
-Useless wireless internet.
-No train or other scheduled activities for kids. My kids were very disappointed. The main reason why I picked KOA was kids friendly activities but actually this site is dangerous because too many camping cars come and go.

I think KOA deluxe cabin is not worth of paying $200 per night. Well, on top of that, there is an extra charge for more than two people because all cabin fee is based on two adults. So I had to pay extra for my two kids for a room with one queen and bunk beds. Another interesting thing is you have to bring your towels to replace, so don't expect daily room cleaning.

Room Tip: Ocean view deluxe cabin is actually the best but pick 1202 instead of 1201. 1201 gas grill is old an...
2  Thank Yong-Duck
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The newly renovated campground was nice. We had the back corner camping space and it was nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A camp store is on sight but prices are double that of the True Value just a few miles down the road to the South. The pool with zero entry was nice for my four year old. The bouncy pillow and pirate ship playground was also very well received by him. A walk across the street to the sound is also KOA property. It was nice to be able to let the dog and boy play together in the calm, shallow sound water. There is a great restaurant across the street as well as a walk-up Dairy Queen. I peeked into the bathhouse to check it out. It was a a group of separate fully contained rooms. So you had a "private" sink, toilet and shower all in one room. There were several of these in the building I checked out. There is also a fenced in dog park area that had a dog obstacle course. Overall, a nice place to camp. We will be going back for a hopefully equally enjoyable visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rodanthe
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
#12 of 13 in Nags Head
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras KOA? Share your experiences!