“Opening day at Chicamacomico 4/14/14”

Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station Historic Site & Museum
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Rodanthe
Babylon, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Opening day at Chicamacomico 4/14/14”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I read in the paper that last Monday was the opening day for the Life-Saving Station. We have a home in Pirates Cove and have wanted to check this out since 2000 when we bought the house. We come for a week or 2 every summer and it never seemed to fit into plans. I called ahead to make sure it was open and spoke to a guy on the phone who turned out to be James Charlet. when I got there i found out that he and his wife Linda Molloy run this place and had always been a life long dream to do so. He taught me how to pronounce Chicamacomico, which doesn;t seen had but I have never gotten it down. I went on the self guided tour of the place and it was simply AMAZING. This is a great place which should not be over looked. I am coming back with the family in July (This was a solo trip getting the house ready for rental season) and we will all be there. Well worth the time and VERY cheap admission price, $6.00 for adults and discounts for seniors and kids. When you got there be sure and talk to James and Linda. They could NOT have been more friendly. Until next time, Enjoy, Skip Anderson.

Visited April 2014

Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Little Gem in Rodanthe”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We passed by this site and decided it was worth a look. We visited with our three children, he's 17, 13 and 9. It didn't look very big from the road, but much of the site is hidden from view. We spent about an hour touring the different buildings and looking at the exhibits. As I knew very little about the Lifesaving stations, I found it to be quite informative. It is a self guided tour through two Lifesaving stations, their cook houses and a historic home. There is also a large shed at the entrance with artifacts and information. I found the staff to be very friendly and informative. There is also a gift shop with a nice selection of items. This was a very nice visit!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Shamblens
Hickory, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“History brought to life”
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

One of the finesr historic sitrs I've been to. Plan to take some time to enjoy all it has to offer. Fantastic knowledgeable staff!

1 Thank Sandy J
Downingtiown
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A step back in history”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I visit Chicamacomico every time we are in the Outer Banks. It is a visit we always look forward to, even though we stay in Corolla. This is such a special look back into our historical past, and the area is so pristine. We hope this museum will always be here for future generations. Everyone working at Chicamacomico is friendly as well as informative. We have been visiting for twenty-five years.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Betsy S
Plattsburgh, New York, USA
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Fascinating history lesson!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Very interesting information about the dangers of sailing around the Outerbanks, the frequency of shipwrecks, and the amazing Life-Saving Service. The displays give real insight into the dangers - both for those on ships and their life-savers.

The only reason I am not giving 5 stars is that I think the exhibits involve a little much reading. I am suspect they need considerably more funding to modernize the exhibits to more fully dramatize the life of the surfmen, but doing so would make it more exciting. There is definitely a lot to see here and it is worth the admission fee.

Visited November 2013