“interesting history”

Altoona, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“interesting history”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

this place has an amazing history, there's a lot I didn't know about Hatteras Island and the ship wrecks

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Jessi Q

New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Charming, restored, always wonderful”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

One of the most interesting pieces of architecture still surviving on the southern Outer Banks. A couple of decades ago many came up with the wherewithal to preserve this incredible site and building with its audacious l(truly) local histories.
Surfmans Motto
"The book says you have to go out. It don’t say nothing about coming back!”

*try to go on a special event early evening when there's a Fish Fry on site or nearby.

1 Thank Marjorca
Nacogdoches, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My son read a book this year about the Lifesaving Service, and thus began his dream to see where the U.S. Life-Saving Service got its start. Before we visited here we bought the documentary "Rescue Men." My son really wanted to see the place at Pea Island where Keeper Richard Etheridge and his men worked (an African American life-saving crew). Unfortunately, that station is no longer in tact. A historical marker does show the spot where it once stood, though. The Chicamacomico life saving station, a little further down the road from Pea Island, shows exactly what it was like for these brave souls who rescued victims of ship wrecks. We were able to climb into the watch tower, view their living quarters and read and learn all about their experiences. We had an unexpected surprise, when a local woman in her 80s came and gave a talk about what life was like on the Outer Banks during WW II, when U-boats frequently attacked ships in the area. This woman was the "real life" model for a children's book written about the Outer Banks in the 40s. We learned that she often speaks at the station. When we visited, she spoke in the afternoon - I believe around 2 p.m. Her talk was about 30 minutes long, and our kids LOVED it. I would highly recommend this site.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank etaravella
Danville, Illinois, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very imformative”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

If you like history, you'll enjoy this walk back in time. Staff was very friendly. Some buildings not open due to hurricane damage, but they are working on them.

1 Thank CarolDiane1962
Lorton, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Saw more on Website for Free”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was intrigued after reading a few books describing this lifesaving station and wanted to learn more while visiting Hatteras Island. The site itself looked interesting from the parking lot, but the guy running the place was far less impressive. Unfortunately, I arrived 25 minutes before the 5:00 p.m. closing time and was told it would be "unfair" to sell a ticket since touring the site normally takes an hour. I was encouraged to visit the gift shop instead, which I did, figuring I would return for a tour the next day. Upon exiting the gift shop I peered toward the ocean from the end of the porch and was quickly reprimanded for looking at something without having purchased a ticket. Looking toward the Ocean? "You pay to look at a movie, don't you?", was what I was told. I cannot assign stars to the tour experience since I didn't get to see anything in person, but I give only 1 star for the rudeness of the guide. I will not return.

3 Thank chopchop_12
CaptJames, Site Operations Mgr. at Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station Historic Site & Museum, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking time to express your views and perspective. Your comment on your experience here is important to us. It was unfortunate that your arrival at 4:35pm did not allow you ample time to tour the entire 7-acre, 8 building complex. It is true that the site stops selling tickets for self-guided tours 30 minutes before closing time, as 30 minutes is not nearly enough time to see it all. While certain areas of the site beyond the Ticket Booth/Museum Gift Shop are only open to ticket holders, some people do walk beyond the designated "Ticket Required Beyond This Point" signs to view the ocean or rest of the site. It's a delicate balance that we try to keep, and it is truly one that we are working on to find a better method of regulating. As a non-profit site and organization, it is important that each of our visitors leave with a better understanding of this complex and its historical significance to our nation. While nothing can take back the unfortunate exchange you had with the guide, it is our hope that you will come back one day, allowing enough time to experience the entire site and the wonderful people and volunteers that work hard to keep the history of "America's Rescue Heroes" alive. Thank you for browsing through the Museum Gift Shop! As a non-profit site that must raise all its own funding through ticket sales, gift shop purchases, donations, memberships, or special events (this site is not state or Federally funded) we understand the importance of customer satisfaction on many levels.