“Cockroach in the lettuce.”

Chico's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 147 Restaurants in Rocky Mount
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We were having an okay dinner when a roach crawled out of the lettuce on the plate with the quesadilla. Needless to say there was a collective loss of appetite. The management did not charge us for the food, just the beer and the glass of wine. The food was only okay anyway. The waiter said that the exterminator had just been there and....this is what happens when you're in an old building on the water. Won't be back.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

We ate at the bar and really enjoyed the food that was suggested by our bartender. The staff was very friendly. The drinks were good as well.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our hotel manager suggested this restaurant but the signs are small and in front entirely covered by foliage. The restaurant is located in an old brick power plant overlooking a river, quite charming. It was not crowded so I might have guessed that the food was not stellar, it definitely was not authentic Mexican. I had a chicken tortilla bowl and asked for it without the retried beans. It tasted fine without any dressing (I used the guacamole for the dressing but this guacamole was low on my rating scale). My husband had the chicken chimichanga that was just okay but doughy. We shared a caramel flan for desser that was almost tough if you can imagine it, pretty bad. I don't know what we ate but sometime after dinner my stomach went into spasms that lasted through the next day. Don't think I would try this place again.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stopped here for late lunch because of the curb appeal.

They have a great lunch special that includes fried ice-cream. I had never tried this before - I never knew what I was missing.

Fried ice-cream is heaven and I can't imagine that anyone does it better than Chico's.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Servers were very pleasant. Restaurant was filthy to the point we didn't even eat. Sat down and ordered margaritas then took a good look around the place. Was not busy at all and had plenty of staff on...why not clean the place a little? Menus were sticky & covered in food, napkin holders had crumbs on top, had to move to another table which also had to be wiped down. Windows had finer prints everywhere and greasy hand marks all down metal sides, floor needed to be swept/vaccumed. Shame because it seemed like a good place at one time. Left and went to Outback for dinner instead.