“Great break from your typical interstate food.”

The Prime Smokehouse Barbecue & Beyond
Ranked #1 of 147 Restaurants in Rocky Mount
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: While we have the only "slow-smoked barbecue" in the Rocky Mount area (featuring spareribs, pulled pork, chopped beef and sliced brisket), we also feature thick hand-cut steaks, juicy burgers, and a wide variety of "fresh" seafood. Our lasagna is homemade with fresh herbs. All of our gourmet sides (orange ginger yams, collard greens, coleslaw, potato salad are made from fresh vegetables, etc.) are made in-house from fresh vegetables -- no cans or frozen! Our macaroni & cheese has been ranked in the top 10 nationally by Travel & Leisure magazine. Our desserts are also homemade, unique and delicious. The jazz-themed restaurant, situated in the neighborhood where legendary jazz pianist Thelonious Monk was born, is the brainchild of Ed Wiley III, Yalem Kiros and Harold Worrell. Ed Wiley is the son of jazz saxophone great Ed Wiley Jr.
Reviewed April 18, 2014

WOW, well worth the extra miles from interstate 95. The ribs were great. Lots of meat and they just fell off the bone. Corn bread is the best I've ever tasted. Wonderful welcoming owner and staff. Next time we travel south we will be stopping at The Prime Smokehouse Barbecue and Beyond.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Smoked ribs and brisket both fabulous. Tremendous variety for any taste on the menu including a beautifully cooked wild salmon offering. Excellent Carolina beers, engaging wait staff, classy jazz music, and creative redo of an old building made this a perfect night out. Chef/owner Ed Wylie and his wife who we met while there deserve kudos for what they have created.

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

with the vast amount of fat vs meat on the ribs, it calls attention to the price. Cornbread is excellent, crab cakes are great. However, as a smokehouse...not hitting the mark.

1  Thank Sweetsouthernspecial
Prime S, Owner at The Prime Smokehouse Barbecue & Beyond, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Firstly, thanks so much for giving us a try. People like you have oodles of options, so I'm always thankful for newcomers, realizing fully that I will not please everyone all of the time. I only wish that you had said something to me (I'm Ed, owner and chef), so I could've made your tummy smile before you left. Trust me when I say that I am very selective about the ribs I sell in my restaurant. However, that's not to say that a fatty slab didn't slip by me. Genuinely sorry. As for the price, I'm not sure how I could do a rib platter like mine for less than $14.99. I hand-rub my ribs, use hickory and cherry wood, and smoke them for 7 hours. And, laying next to those tender -- usually lean -- ribs are two of my signature sides, none of which comes from frozen or canned goods. The yams are hand-peeled and cut, collards are hand-stripped and cleaned, macaroni and cheese has four cheeses, string beans are the absolute best you can buy, and my side salads are crisp and beautiful. Hope you don't steer clear of us next time because I want to make sure that you, and your tummy, smile every time you think of The Prime Smokehouse. Again, many many thanks for even giving us a shot!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Prime Smokehouse is tied for first place as the best restaurant in Rocky Mount! Smoked meat at a great price combined with excellent service. And if you catch a weekend when they have live jazz you can't beat it!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Love the macaroni and cheese, corn bread, vegetable lasagna!
Service can be slow so don' be in a rush when dining .