“Excellent pulled pork”

The Prime Smokehouse Barbecue & Beyond
Ranked #1 of 135 Restaurants in Rocky Mount
Cuisines: Bar, American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: While we have the only "slow-smoked barbecue" in the Rocky Mount area (featuring spareribs, pulled pork, chopped beef and sliced brisket), we also feature thick hand-cut steaks, juicy burgers, and a wide variety of "fresh" seafood. Our lasagna is homemade with fresh herbs. All of our gourmet sides (orange ginger yams, collard greens, coleslaw, potato salad are made from fresh vegetables, etc.) are made in-house from fresh vegetables -- no cans or frozen! Our macaroni & cheese has been ranked in the top 10 nationally by Travel & Leisure magazine. Our desserts are also homemade, unique and delicious. The jazz-themed restaurant, situated in the neighborhood where legendary jazz pianist Thelonious Monk was born, is the brainchild of Ed Wiley III, Yalem Kiros and Harold Worrell. Ed Wiley is the son of jazz saxophone great Ed Wiley Jr.
Columbus, Indiana
“Excellent pulled pork”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I visit Rocky Mount 5 or 6 times a year on business. I read about Prime Smokehouse on TA and decided to try it. I had a desire to eat barbecue so that is what I wanted to order.
The menu was pretty extensive. They have everything from pork, to steaks, seafood, burgers, salads, etc. When the waiter arrived, he said "everyone comes here for the ribs and brisket". Well, I partially took his advice. I did order the beef brisket but, since I wanted barbecue, I ordered the 2 meat dinner and had the brisket and the pulled pork. The dinner comes with two sides and I chose the Mac and cheese and the au gratin potatoes. The Mac and cheese was very good and the potatoes we're good, just a bid dry. The brisket was very good. It was tender and had a good flavor. The pulled pork was the clear winner for me. It was moist and flavorful. I sprinkled some vinegar sauce on top and it just added to the flavor. I grew up in South Carolina and I think I know a bit about pulled pork. In SC, we use barbecue sauce. In NC, they use vinegar. I obviously didn't try the ribs but I was very happy with my choice of pulled pork. For dessert (which I had to take for later), I had the chocolate cake. Four layer cake. Excellent.
The restaurant is very nice, well decorated. It is a bit above average on the "nice" scale. There is a bar you can eat at. There is also four tables in the bar area. The main dining room is a bit separate from the bar area.
The waiter greeted me buy asking my name. He was very friendly. He responded to any request I had. However, the main reason I could not give this place a higher rating is because the service was slow. My waiter was on top of things during the first half the meal. In fact, the guy behind the bar helped him out by filling my tea. It took a long time (too long) for my meal to arrive. Once my food arrived, there were long intervals between his visits. I don't think the long time to get my food was his fault but he could have done much better as I sat waiting for him to bring my check. The restaurant was only about half full so I can't blame it on that. I like the guy but something caused him to lose focus on me.
The service will not stop me from returning next time I am in town. If there is a repeat performance of slow service, I might not return. But, the food was good enough to cause me to give it another try.

Visited March 2014
Prime S, Owner at The Prime Smokehouse Barbecue & Beyond, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Amos C,

Thanks much for the generous assessment of our food. But just as important was your mild criticism. Our goal always is to seek ways to improve on the experience of those kind enough to venture in. I'm hoping that next time you visit we hit a home run, instead of a triple. Much appreciation!

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“Mac-n-cheese that's phenomenal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Love this restaurant in downtown Rocky Mount! Kudos to the people who had the dream to revitalize the space! The real highlight is the macaroni and cheese! Best ever! Crab cakes are great too!

San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great barbecue and lots more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Had to try barbecue while visiting North Carolina (from San Francisco) and the Prime Smokehouse was wonderful! Our party of three ordered Big Ed's Famous Smokehouse Ribs, the Three-Meal Combination Platter and the Carolina Chopped Pork Sandwich. The ample portions were full of flavor and top-quality ingredients. (We took home a second meal from the combo!) The sides we selected: Macaroni and Cheese (FABULOUS!), Orange-Ginger Yams, Gourmet String Beans were very good. The decor was lovely and I enjoyed the jazz background music. Meeting the friendly chef and hearing about his father, Musician and Barbecue Expert Ed Wiley, Jr. was the icing on the cake! Speaking of which, we didn't have room for dessert, but wish we had; finishing our lunch with the Peach Cobbler, Spiced Bread Pudding and Sweet Potato Pie might have meant I would need to move permanently to Rocky Mount (or Tarboro) from San Francisco! Great prices and wait staff.

Princeton, nj
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food & service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Attending a seminar, down from NJ. Found on Trip Advisor. Great Carolina BBQ & other items. Our waiter, Bruce, was excellent, very personable & helpful. Ribs were outstanding, as was the salmon. Will definitely go back whenever in the area again. Well worth a visit!

1 Thank Dhgibsonvt
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“Well worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

We're from ny and we found this restaurant from a google search. Great food, interesting location and friendly staff. Off the beaten path.