“The Tail of the Dragon; motorcyclists dream!”
Review of Tail of the Dragon

Tail of the Dragon
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I've ridden the tail a couple of times and I'd do it over and over again. This is not for a novice rider. On the other hand, if you don't try to over do it like some psychos you will be fine. If you do get someone tail gaining you, no pun intended, there are plenty of places to pull over and let them pass. If your goal is to race down the highway good luck. I saw 2 cops the first time I rode it and last time I rode it two weeks ago a Blount County Sheriff was following a rider into the parking lot of the Dragon's Tail, the restaurant/gift shop/motel at the south end. There are several professional photographers on the side of the road and I I'd purchase some photos of myself. Check out their websites. It's free to browse and I bought a high resolution photo of myself for $6. Totally worth it

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"speed limit"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I always ride the Tail of the Dragon whenever we are in this area of North Carolina. The weather was beautiful and we will get the chance to buy some new photos of our motorcycles on the "Dragon" since we saw several photographers taking pictures.

1  Thank NitehawkLady
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The Tail of the Dragon US129 is a great ride for a thrill. Take a motorcycle or convertible for the full effect. I would suggest you drive it on a sunny day and no rain. The road is very curvy so don't go fast. It does take a couple of hours, so take your time and enjoy the ride stopping and visiting the overlook sites. There were several police cars patrolling the area making sure riders weren't speeding,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a great place to ride a motorcycle or a car; not so much in a large truck! We've known about the Dragon for years and now that my son has a Harley, he wanted to take his girlfriend and propose on their ride.....she said Yes! It wasn't busy during the week, but towards the end of the week (Memorial Day Weekend), it was extremely busy. There were a few CrAzIeS out the day that we went, but they have it well patrolled trying to keep people under control. It's neat that they have people along the way to take your picture, but what a headache to try on find yours on the website. Anyway, if you want a good ride, this is well worth the trip. Make your way to Benton's Country Ham in Madisonville, TN. Best smoked country ham and sausage ever!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My brother in law, who is a biker had told us about the Tail of the Dragon, and althought we are not of the bike ilk, decided to give it a go!!
We had a fun time driving it in our SUV, and my wife managed to get some good video shots of some of the wild curves. It reminded me of some of the roads in Scotland which are also wery curvey, but the Dragon is certainly one of the best. There were several young bikers with video cameras on their helmets to catch the experience and some old dudes with Harleys, enjoying the challenging bends. The view at some of the lookouts was fantastic, and when you stop, you can hear many of the bikers relaying the stories to others. We are an older couple, but enjoy the challenge of driving on a good road! It was over far too quickly,but we did stop at Deals Gap to pick up a few souveneers.