“Beautiful Park, Awesome Hiking.”

Stone Mountain State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: This 15,000-acre North Carolina state park offers trout fishing, hiking, climbing and scenic waterfalls.
North Canton, Ohio
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Beautiful Park, Awesome Hiking.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Went with my family (2 teenage sons). We ended up hiking the Stone Mountain Loop Trail. Can't believe we did the whole thing! We don't hike that often... It was awesome! Waterfalls are gorgeous, the stone mountain overlook is truly amazing. Have never seen anything like it. The old homestead area was a nice break. It was cool to look up at the mountain and see where you have been. You can see the homestead from the overlook. Worth taking hikes in parts if you don't have time or energy to do all at once! I look forward to going back some day!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank LoveToTravel1234512

• Korean first
Wilkesboro, NC
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Great Hiking Trails and Beautiful Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

This park has some great hiking trails with wonderful views. There is also The old Hutchinson's homestead with buildings from past years gone by. It is so interesting and if you're lucky, there may be someone around the log cabin to give you details on the place. It has a magnificent waterfall along the way but be wary, if you try to climb out on the rocks it is so slippery that several have fallen to their death. The same goes for the Stone Mountain rock. People have been known to step out too far and die falling as well. Use common sense and you will have a wonderful outdoor experience. You can enter two ways to the trail. The upper section is the more strenuous part of the trail, but if you drive down to the lower end, it is much easier and you are closer to the old homestead. Highly recommend if you love being out in nature and like hiking.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank 5354
Elkin, North Carolina
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Awesome place to just hang out on a hot day, waterfalls are beautiful.

Visited June 2012
Winston Salem, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Stone Mountain Park is a Unique Desitnation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stone Mountain Park NC

A couple of weeks ago we managed to get to Stone Mountain, although it was very cold and we didn’t have enough time to hike before dark. We made up for it last weekend though… to the top of the summit and about halfway down the falls!

I consider us to be what I’d call ‘casual hikers’, meaning we aren’t hard-core, we don’t camp overnight, and we really only go places we can reach and return from in a day trip. I do take a backpack, but it’s usually filled with water and fruit rollups! Not exactly a survival kit… I wanted to point this out, because I feel like a lot of people don’t visit the amazing State Parks NC has to offer simply because they think they can’t hack the hike! Stone Mountain Summit is a perfect example. The park lists it as a 4.5 mile ‘strenuous’ trail. And don’t get me wrong, it IS strenuous! However, it’s a 4.5 mile loop, so you can get to the summit in about 1.7 miles, and you can stop to rest anywhere you’d like along the way. Plus, no matter which way you go, it’s downhill on the return trip!

As we were nearing the summit, we met a small group on their way back down, and I joked with them that they were on the ‘easy side’… There was an elderly woman with them, walking slowly with a cane, who stopped to speak to us. She had a bit of a speech impediment, so I didn’t make out much of what she said. What I did understand, though, was that she just went up and over the summit, and she wasn’t even out of breath! If that lady can do it, so can you!
Stone Mountain Summit: The view is of course amazing, as you’d imagine. Some of the pictures are actually taken from the Blue Ridge Parkway just outside of Roaring Gap, which is outside the park, but I wanted some photos of Stone Mountain with the rest of the mountains in the background. Someone more knowledgeable will have to correct me if I’m wrong, but the best way I could think of to explain why the dome of Stone Mountain is shaped so smoothly was by comparing it to a bubble. Like in a lava lamp! At one time this was a giant bubble of molten rock that solidified this way. It’s a very different formation than any of the other NC parks we’ve been to.

Hutchinson Homestead: I love to go places that make you feel like you’ve stepped back in time. This old homestead at the base of the mountain is exactly that… you can peek inside the cabin and buildings, and get a good feel for how ‘cozy’ and ‘simple’ life was way back when. Great place for a picnic too!

Stone Mountain Falls: This is another place that Stone Mountain’s unique domes make it a place you have to see to get the full enjoyment from. The kids and I joked on the way to the summit that sledding down the sides must be a real thrill ride! Well, once we saw the falls in person, I can see (as well as read from the signs) that a ride down the mountain side would be sure to end in tragic death! The falls are so smooth that there’s no way you could stop yourself along the ride… this is one of the few places that I have to advise looking but not touching! You can go all the way to the bottom of the falls safely down steps with rails, and there are several small decks along the way where you can rest and take in the view.
As with most NC state parks, there’s a nice Visitor’s Center where you can use the restroom and get maps and information. Stone Mountain Park is just over an hour from Winston-Salem so it makes a nice day trip. We only visited a few of the trails that the park has to offer, so I’m sure we’ll be making many more explorations in the future…

Cheers from the ThreeFiveZero Casual Hikers

Visited March 2012
7 Thank Scott R
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Well woth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Great trails, exhibits, and camping. There is also some great trout fishing during the right times of the year.

Visited May 2012