“Lovely pet-friendly hotel near great little restaurant”

Hilton Garden Inn Roanoke Rapids
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Roanoke Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Osprey Florida
“Lovely pet-friendly hotel near great little restaurant”
Reviewed May 15, 2009

We travel from Maine to Florida and back every year, and we're always looking for good hotels where we and our labradoodle are welcome. This hotel is lovely! It has all the comforts you'd wish, including a pool and gym, an in-house restaurant and a full breakfast available. There is plenty of room for your furry friend to roam. The hotel is new, neat, really very nice indeed, and they offer nice little added touches like fresh cookies in the afternoon..

Not knowing that the hotel had an in-house restaurant, we googled local restaurants and found David's Restaurant in Roanoke Rapids, a gem of a small restaurant where they even offered to take water out to the car for our dog. The fresh oysters were the best I've ever had, and my husband's crabcake couldn't be beat. What a relief from the omnipresent fast food offered at so many stops along I95. Although we're seafood fans, David's had many other delicious choices, including steak, veal, pasta and chicken dishes. We will go out of our way to return to the Hilton Garden Inn and to David's.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Jamestown, North Carolina
Reviewed April 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for barely 8 hours to split a weekend of driving. The hotel is just off I-95 and easy to find, although the entrance is a little tricky. Our room was huge--easily the size of 2.5-3 standard hotel rooms. (It was near the center of the hotel, so maybe other rooms are smaller?) We got the room for $95 online, the check-in and check-out were quick, and the bed was comfortable. Toiletries were Neutrogena, which is a nice upgrade from generic hotel soaps. Overall, this is an excellent hotel that has more amenities than I'd ever expect from one without a huge amount of travel destinations in the immediate area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbia, SC
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Emporia, VA to break our trip up, but they did not have any available rooms (probably due to Spring Break travelers). So we drove 30 minutes further and stayed here instead. It is also part of the Hilton chain so we would get our Honors points. We loved everything about this hotel exept that the continental breakfast was $5.95 per person and the hot breakfast was $9.95 per person. I was used to having the free breakfast at the Hampton Inn. So we ended up going to Bojangles for breakfast. Other than that, this hotel was very, very nice. They also have an indoor pool which we look for when taking long car trips with the kids. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We would stay here again if there wasn't a Hampton Inn to choose from. (We just enjoy having the free breakfast available because it's quick, easy, and convenient.)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
HGIRoanokeRapids, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Roanoke Rapids, responded to this review, April 18, 2009
Greetings!

My name is Kevin and I am the General Manager of the Hilton Garden Inn. Thank you so much for sharing your kind comments about our hotel. Our team is extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

During your next trip through the area, keep in mind you can always book our current meal promotion. Right now, HGI's are offering breakfast for up to 4-people in our Spring Meal Deal package. If this interests you, simply mention it to our reservations agents when calling. If you have more than two people traveling, it's definitely a SAVINGS!

We hope that on your next trip through our area, we can look forward to welcoming you back!

Respectfully,

Kevin Boudreaux
Mt Laurel NJ
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We arrived late at night and were met with a professional staff and an extremely clean hotel. Everything was top notch. They serve dinner until 10pm and the breakfast was well prepared and tasty. A reasonable rate of 89 plus tax. This hotel is not your typical I 95 corridor dump. Plan your stay it will be filled on the busy times.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
Reviewed March 28, 2009

All I can say is WOW! I am in the hotel industry and am amazed at the quality of the accommodations, the professionalism and friendliness of the staff and its a very convenient location to I 95. When I stay in Hilton properties I come to expect above and beyond service and performance as that is the Hilton way and I got it this time. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone in the Roanoke Rapids Area. Great Job goes out to the team and their leaders.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Australian in New York
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Friendly friendly staff and a great value spot. We like most others that night, were on our way to drop our college kids off. The rooms were very spacious, the pool and spa was great and having a bar/restaurant there was so good as there was no way those 4 kids were getting back in the car again! Would definitely make this the stopover spot again.

Stayed August 2008
Great Falls, VA
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Our family of four spent one night in this hotel while traveling from Northern VA to South Carolina. The hotel itself and the rooms and facilities are all new and in good condition. The room was large and the beds were very comfortable. Our problems with the hotel revolved around the service and the little things. Things like three large towels in a room with two queen beds so you have to call and ask for more. Things like one coffee mug and one package of sweetners and creamers in a room with two queen beds. Things like a sign taped to the podium at the breakfast area saying "please wait to be seated" and then waiting until one of the four waitresses clustered around the kitchen area decided to come over and tell us to sit wherever we wanted. Things like coffee cups on the table at breakfast but no offer to fill them just a wave over to the coffee earns and a "coffee is over there." Breakfast overall was not worth the $9.95 charged. The eggs were old and rubbery and the bacon was cremated. I have had much better breakfasts and much, much better service in Hampton Inns and Courtyards.

Overall this hotel confused courtesy with service. Everyone was extremely courteous and kept asking me, "How y'all doing?" Well I would be doing much better if I had gotten decent service and a decent breakfast.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greetings!

I first want to thank you for staying with us and I am sad to hear that you had a other than exceptional experience. I wanted to share with you that as of January 1, 2009 our hotel is under new management and I am the new General Manager as of March.

Please know that the experience you had during your stay is not typical of our guests experience and I would like to welcome you back to our hotel during your next visit through our area. I assure you that you will find our current staff very accommodating and very friendly. As you can see from the comments on this board, we are delivering a great experience and product and it disheartens me to here you did not see that.

Please feel free to contact me anytime at the hotel to discuss your stay. I sincerely hope that you will give the team here at HGI a second chance.

Respectfully,
Sleep Inn Roanoke Rapids
Sleep Inn Roanoke Rapids
#7 of 8 in Roanoke Rapids
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Emporia

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Roanoke Rapids? Share your experiences!