“Paying customers beware”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Carolina Crossroads Entertainment Complex
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I went to Carolina Crossroads last weekend to see Styx and Boston. Styx was the opener, and the band that I had really come to see. My friend and I arrived an hour early to the grounds, thinking that would be enough time to get to our seats before the show started. We were apparently wrong.

First, the parking lot was a disaster. There was no clear direction of where to go and the traffic pattern was just counterintuitive...and very inefficient.

When we'd parked and got to the front gate, there were two huge lines stretched back to the parking lots, moving at barely a crawl. Mind you that there were about 6 entryways but only 2 (later 3) of them were open to let people in. We were still in line when the band started playing! Over half of the reserved seating section was empty, but the people at the gate did not seem phased. They continued at their snail pace, not seeming to care that some of us came to see the show and not stand in line.

Only a couple of songs had gone by when we got through the front gate. Finally! We could get to our seats. Oops, wrong. We were in disbelief at the EVEN LONGER line that stretched from each entry point to the reserved seating area. There were exactly 2 ways to get in...and we had to go through the entry point to the premium lawn to get there. People had to stand in line as workers individually put wrist bands on them. We couldn't get a straight answer as to why we needed these wrist bands, and we asked at least 4 different employees. They weren't checking IDs, so it wasn't for drinking.

At one point the line came to a complete halt. They were out of wrist bands! Tick tock. By the time we got to our seats Styx had finished their 6th song of their 11-song set. And I'm sorry to say we had to cut in line, A LOT to even get in by then. I was so angry it was hard to enjoy the rest of the show. When I later spoke to a friend who'd gotten there earlier in the day, she told me she was not given a wrist band at all.

In sum, if you plan on going to a show at this venue, I recommend you arrive at least 2-3 hours early. However after my experience, I don't think I'll ever again go to this venue. Save your $70 for a venue that knows what it's doing...like one of the big amphitheaters. For their sake I hope they can step up their game for future shows, because otherwise there will be a lot more people like me who'll never want to come back!

5  Thank ncgirl1984

Reviewed August 24, 2007

I cannot believe anyone would put their name on this place. I could forgive the total lack of facilities, but the ticket prices were comparable to that of a quality theater like Walnut Creek. Basically, a flat field with plastic police baracades, wooden shacks, aweful temporary chairs, 100% porta-jons...a total joke.

As for helping the community, I spoke to 10 workers to try and get the scoop and not one of them was from the area.

Thank goodness the talent was great otherwise I would have left when I arrived. The only other good part was making fun of the joint the whole night.

3  Thank back2nc
Reviewed January 12, 2007

My family and I went to see the first show at the Carolina Crossroads location. Big and Rich and Jason Aldean played to a crowd of about 20,000+.

It is important to note that Carolina Crossroads is in the process of being built to resemble venues like Alltel Pavillion at Walnut Creek in Raleigh, NC. The location where the concerts are currently being held is a temporary set-up near the build-site of the future Carolina Crossroads pavillion.

I've been to plenty of concerts in plenty of places and, I have to admit, even though the concert was "in the middle of a field", Carolina Crossroads could not have done a better job for their first concert. I have run into more headaches with long lines for concessions, drinks, bathrooms etc. at more established venues. The security was top-notch and, even though we'd found a sitter for the kids, I appreciated the "family only--no alcohol" area that was available.

I was very impressed with the job Carolina Crossroads did with the Big and Rich concert and I've heard that the following concerts were just as well done. I am amazed at the big name performers they are able to schedule and I only imagine that more big names are on the way once the place is fully up and running.

I'd go to another concert at Carolina Crossroads in a heartbeat!

2  Thank JennGNc
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We attended a concert on August 19, 2006. We were mislead by the website for Carolina Crossroads. It appeared that a first rate concert venue had been built in Rocky Mount, NC. Since two of our favorite performers were scheduled we decided to invest the money, purchase tickets and drive 110 miles each way. There are no interesting things to do near Rocky Mount so we elected not to stay overnight.
The concert venue is a temporary stage set up in the middle of a field. There is no shelter from the sun or rain, not even for those that purchase chair seats in the platinum section. The floor is grass and dirt or mud (if wet). There is no permanent foundation, paving, sidewalks, lighting, etc. There is no plumbing, only portable facilities. If we had known in advance we would not have bothered with the journey. It was an embarrassment that our musical guests should have to perform in such a primitive environment. Their performance reflected the situation also. Anyone wishing to see their favorite artists should stick to the large cities where professional venues have been established, ie; Walnut Creek in Raleigh or the Pavillion in Charlotte. We certainly won't go to Rocky Mount again.

4  Thank love2wander12