“Great Mexican food in a small town”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Camino Real Mexican Bar & Grill
Ranked #10 of 18 Restaurants in Richlands
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was surprised to read the negative reviews regarding the service of the employees. My husband and I visited Camino Real at the end of the November, the wait staff was both friendly and attentive. Perhaps the service has improved over the past few months.

The salsa was fantastic. While I normally like spicy salsa, this salsa was mild, and it was really good. The chips were also fresh. The portions--even for lunch--are large: I ended up taking part of mine home. I had a bean burrito and my husband had the fajita burrito--both were excellent.

My husband grew up in this area, and we now live in Florida. However, whenever we visit his family, we also pay this place a visit. If you're from California, you won't like this type of Mexican food, but otherwise, most will enjoy Camino Real.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Its so-so. Im from Southern California, been to Mexico a million times, and my best friend is a Mexican chef...I know what Mexican food should taste like...this isnt it! But, I havent found a place in Jacksonville yet that gets it right, this is second on our list for if friends insist on going for Mexican. The "street tacos" (I cant remember what they called them, but they are just meat, onions, and cilantro) are the best thing we've had by far, those are actually quite good. Everything else pretty much had no flavor, the sauces are obviously canned, and the bar needs some serious help. They dont make their margaritas fresh, when I ordered one I was brought what was basically cold strawberry mix, and it tasted like chemicals in a cup, they at least took it back without charging us for it but then stopped refilling anyones drinks...

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Good mexican food, excellent salsa, good service in a friendly atmosphere. We would always drive by this restaurant on our way home from the beach and saw tons of cars in the parking lot, which is a good sign. One day we decided to stop in and we are glad we did! Have been here at least 10 times and the food is always good and the portions a huge! I usually get the combo meal with a chili relleno and a chicken burrito. Very friendly staff.

Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

The food here is really really good. The service is just "ok." the one in Wallace is way better. The employees are nice enough, just not motivated. Love their Enchiladas and salsa they put on the table is phenomenal.

Reviewed November 29, 2009

This is a popular local hangout and it is very busy most nights. The food is authentic, really good and reasonably priced. I can't think of anywhere else around here where I would go when craving some good Mexican food. But that's where it ends for Camino Real.

Do not expect customer service here. it is non-existent. You will wait to be seated, end up getting your own high chair if needed even though they say several times they are bringing it, have part of your order incorrect or forgotten, need to request silverware and refills repeatedly and most likely find errors on your bill.

The service here is so bad, I have contemplated trying take out just to avoid it. With that said, the food is so good that I throw all of my beliefs that every business should provide at least minimal customer service right out of the window and patronize this establishment against all better judgment. I do not tip though and won't until the day that I have a flawless experience.

There is a bar on site and Corona as well as other beers and cocktails are served. Knowing some Spanish would be a plus and might garner a little better customer service though the waitstaff do speak English.

Come here for the food and the food alone with no other expectations and you will be satisfied.

1  Thank MonzyWentTo