“Love it”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Pangbourne
London!
“Love it”
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Me and my partner love this hotel and have celebrated many special weekends here. The rooms are lovely and clean, the staff are friendly. It is a little gem with a lovely river near by, probably the best hotel in Pangbourne. The bathrooms are amazing and the breakfasts are adequate. Cannot fault this b n b, will be going back either this year or next having visited it more than 3 times. Love love love it!!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
nottinghamshire
Reviewed April 25, 2008

This B & B is a little gem, from plenty of off road parking, to spacious and excellently furnished rooms. The place is spotlessly clean and the staff friendly. The bathroom was black marble with a white suite with plenty of room. But for the men shaving in the dim lighting may prove a little tricky. For the disabled traveller this B & B is a must with no tripping hazards or awkward steps for the ground floor rooms. Plenty of local bars and restaurants within walking distance which seemed very popular with tourist and locals alike. Have already recommended this to family and friends and planning a return trip ourselves later in the year.

Stayed April 2008
London
Reviewed October 20, 2007

This place has to be the best value for money B&B in England, we stayed for two weeks!

The Executive rooms at £95 per night are huge, plenty of room to move, unlike most other English accommodation. King size beds(and very comfortable), wonderfully furnished, flat screen TV's, free internet and WiFi, and clean, with great views of the river Thames. The room rate includes continental breakfast which is very good. The standard room is slightly smaller and is only £80 per night.

The hotel is situated across the road from the river, and the train station is 1 minute walk away(trains cannot be heard). Pangbourne has a number of excellent pubs and restaurants to cater for your evening meal or lunch. If you want a base to stay and be close to London, then Pangbourne should be considered. It is only 40 minutes by train from Hyde Park Corner and allows you to do all the things that one would want to do when visiting London, without having to pay ridiculous London hotel prices for mostly substandard accommodation.
There is nothing worse than seeing the great sights in London but then being let down by expensive poor quality hotels.

Oxford is only 20 minutes away by train as is Windsor Castle.

The managers John and Merrill are first class people, polite and obliging and keep the place in tip top shape.

• Liked — Large clean rooms.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PerthKiwi
West Midlands
Reviewed March 14, 2007

• I stayed here on my own in a standard room (£80) the night before my interview in Reading.
• It's the best accommodation I have stayed in for ages by miles. It's miles better than Reading city centre hotels under £100 sound in reviews on this site.
• Lovely view
• The room was about 3 times the size of a budget hotel chain's rooms. There was flat screen TV with Freeview, wireless internet and a fridge.
• The shower was powerful and there were no problems with the temperature.

I did however see 2 sides of the owner:
The nice side
• I arrived in Pangbourne around 8pm and couldn’t see the B&B so I parked at the train station and rang. It was only a short walk to the B&B so the owner came and met me and lead me to the B&B.
• He let me park my car there until 2pm the following day so I could get the train to my interview and not worry about parking in Reading
The other side
• He left a note on my car saying “Attention: Please let us have the room key before leaving. Thank you”. When I got back at 2pm and found that on my car, as far as I could remember I had handed it in, paid and signed out. I thought it couldn't be in my pockets because it's a huge key ring, so I did a thorough search in all my bags and couldn’t find it so said they must have misplaced it. It turned out it was still in my trouser pocket….so I apologised
I didn’t like how he handled this:
. o He felt I had no reason to think I might have given it to them….when obviously I did have reason after thinking I had done a thorough search.
. o He is one of these people who doesn’t like it when someone answers him back.
. o ***He ought to accept some responsibility for not making sure the key was returned when I signed out ****
When I made the apology he just turned away.

I have still given Weir View 5 out of 5 and won’t let this “bad side” of the owner affect my rating after all the other positives….and given that I do acknowledge my error - unlike him.

I would recommend it for everyone: business, leisure, singles and couples.

• Liked — The room including its Freeview TV
  • Disliked — The owner's conduct at the end - but don't let that put you off
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2004

Excellent accomodation, and friendly staff, very much enjoyed our stay. It was so relaxing and such lovely surroundings.

10 out of 10 all round

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 18, 2004

I have made a number of business trips to the Reading area, and most recently stayed at the Weir View. It is easily the nicest spot in town, and a great place to base yourself to a visit to the Berkshires. The rooms are quite large and have an understated "Pottery Barn" feel to them. No chintz in sight. The train station is a short flight of stairs away, and the staff is very gracious. There is a nice historic Inn, The Swan, right across the road. Despite being sandwiched between the rails and the highway, I found my room to be quiet. I will stay at the Weir View for all my future trips to this area. The only bad mark I would give is the lack of a broadband connection, but the others in town don't have that either. I just went to have a pint instead of answering emails!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pangbourne
The Elephant at Pangbourne
Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed

Been to Weir View House? Share your experiences!