“Roll Heaven, how do I choose?”
Review of Mura

Mura
Reserve with OpenTable
Mura is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #113 of 1,526 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: $20 - $10,000
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Six Forks Rd and 440 Beltline
Description: Specializing in flavorful Japanese cuisine and one-of-a-kind sushi rolls, Mura has been one of North Hill's most popular restaurants since opening in 2005. Our menu features a delectable combination of steaks, sushi and other Japanese fare, as well as an extensive drink menu offering everything from Japanese beers and local craft brews to Asian-inspired cocktails and sake. Be sure to take advantage of our "Buy One, Get One 1/2 Off" sushi special in Raleigh, as well as other food and drink specials offered almost every day of the week.
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I had a chance to eat here on a recent business trip to Raleigh. We had a group of 8 and were lucky enough to get one of the more private side rooms. These rooms are insulated from the rest of the restaurant with the culturally-correct rice paper walls. The seating was also traditional, which was a source of concern because I dreaded the attempt to get myself up after sitting for an hour crosslegged. No worries though, as the tables conceal a “hollowed out” floor where you can comfortably dangle your old, crickety legs. The adult beverage selection was extensive enough to satisfy most people’s tastes. We didn’t indulge in sake so I can’t speak to that. I tend to favor Kirin Ichiban when eating sushi so I stuck with my game plan. The menu is a good combination of asian-influenced appetizers, entrees, and of course, sushi. One note about the sushi, it can’t really be ordered “a la carte.” There are entrees that have a selection of nigiri and sashimi but you can’t order two pieces of, say, hamachi nigiri. This is a pretty big establishment and I would imagine a la carte ordering would slow the kitchen down significantly. Not to worry though, the specialty rolls menu is extensive and even has options for those who don’t like raw fish at all. We had a very enjoyable meal, especially with the private room atmosphere. If you’re looking an asian-esque dining experience that will satisfy a broad range of finicky appetites I would give Mura a chance. You can have your sushi and the other folks can find something for their palates as well.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

My husband and I have not been to Mura for several months. We decided to go back last week. We sat at the sushi bar and ordered. The wine and saki came in short order. When the sushi came, instead of wrapping the rice and fish in seaweed, it was wrapped in a thin layer of cucumber. When we asked the chef about it he said, "It was a new technique." It totally changed the taste of the sushi. It's not that we didn't like it, its just that we weren't told about the change. I do have to say that although the sushi was fresh, the tamago we ordered was cold, almost frozen, and inedible. We mentioned it to the waitress and the manager came over. He offered to take that piece off of our bill. With so many sushi restaurants in Raleigh, we will go elsewhere from now on.

1  Thank PB62757
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I had the seafood miso soup and the Bento box. Both were great, although couldn't finish the food in the bento box. People should be "warned" that it is a big portion that may be shared.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I celebrated my birthday on a Saturday for lunch at Mura. We both ate the Bento lunch box and enjoyed it very much. There was enough food for two and it was all excellent. The service was very good. We plan on returning and trying other entrees.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Ate here while staying at the nearby Renaissance Hotel on business. We were able to get a seat right away without a reservation about 5:30, but it was getting pretty crowded a bit later. All the food we had was excellent! Wish I could remember the name, but I had a combo-type meal with a shrimp appetizer, screaming "O" sushi rolls, tempura-fried veggies, and grilled salmon that was spectacular! My wife's meal was good as well. It's definitely worth a try.

Been to Mura? Share your experiences!