“lacks hot water; not very clean”

Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown
Ranked #52 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is in a good location, but it was the worst Marriott hotel we have ever stayed in. About 30 minutes after my husband showered, I took mine. The water turned cold half way through. I had to wait until the maintenance man came to adjust the water heater. He gave no apology, and tried to tell us we had no business taking two showers the same morning. "These heaters are too small to accommodate more than one shower." I couldn't believe it. On top of that, the room did not seem especially clean. We have family in Raleigh so will be visiting often, but will never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Tell them you need to have more than one person per day taking a shower, so they can adjust your roo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BarbaraJA
jason h, Manager at Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Barbara,

I want to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experiance at the Residence Inn Midtown. We are looking into the hot water issue that you reported. We value you as a guest and appreciate you staying with us. Please feel free to contact me with further questions or comments. Have a great day!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I checked into this hotel around 12:30 in the morning, thus we were not the most pleasant guests when we arrived. I have to give kudos the manager on duty, Tessa Prentice, who dealt with both of us with patience of a saint. My husband found a cheaper rate on-line and Tessa patiently waited for us to book the reservation on-line at the discounted rate. When we arrived at our room we were pleasantly surprised. It was a spacious double bed, that's what the discounted rate afforded us, with a kitchenette, two tvs and a very nice bathroom. All in all we were very impressed. We have officially converted from Hilton/Hampton loyalists to Marriot lovers.

Room Tip: Please note this property is set up like an apartment complex with two levels. You may want to opt...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smileshee
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was my second visit to this RI, it is an older establishment. Was there for the week and has one issue and was resolved by the GM. The maintenance guy sent to room to fix TV did not have a clue, but talked to GM and he sent Chief Engineer as they call him and he fixed the issue. Food at Buffet is average but the service is very good. They try hard to please from Front Desk to Buffet servers.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Let me first state that I am a Marriott Platinum Member and I would never stay at this hotel after checking in on November 19, 2013. I took a shower only to be greeted by the biggest Cockroach I had ever seen in my life on my bed. I grabbed a glass and plate to capture it to show proof of the bug infestation; thereafter, I took a picture to show proof. When I confronted the front desk staff, they tried telling me it was a water bug; but, it was a Florida cockroach. I immediately checked out after arguing with the front desk staff members who explained that they were going to charge my card. I told them that I was going to check into the Marriot downtown (500 Fayetteville St) and to have the manager call me. Two weeks later no call; so, I wrote a letter to Marriott Customer service where they offered 5,000 points to resolve the situation; but, I paid 25,000 points to stay at the Marriott downtown after having to leave from the cockroach infestation from a morning which started 18 hours prior to my arrival (at 3:00AM). 5,000 points is an insult and I did not ever respond to their email. So, I am writing this review to let everyone know to never stay at this hotel. It was the worst experience, as a business traveler, I have ever had. This is coming from someone who stays at least 100 nights per year in hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Dj4OSU
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is the older style RI and has the outside stairs. Ugh! Further there was a set of stone stairs and one of them not only is loose but even rocks if you step on it the wrong way. Rooms are clean and staff are friendly. Breakfast is just so-so. Neighborhood doesn't seem safe to me at all.

Room Tip: If climbing stairs is difficult, ask to be put on a ground floor. Still lots of small staircases to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 414Bookworm
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Hotel was quite busy, but they had plenty of tables available for the excellent breakfast.
The staff was helpful -- We did not have any ice in the refrigerator, so I went to the front desk. The lady got a large bag and filled it with Ice from the Breakfast Area and said if I needed more, Just come back

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hotel was centrally and convieniently located near major highway making it accessible to get back and forth throughout the Raleigh area. The rooms were spacious and clean upon arrival. Management was quite professional and helpful during my stay. We utilized the kitchen facility which provided everything except the food to cook. I would definitely stay here again whether business or pleasure while visiting the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends