“Nicest Hampton Inn, EVER!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh/Crabtree Valley
Ranked #5 of 85 Hotels in Raleigh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC
“Nicest Hampton Inn, EVER!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed here while passing through Raleigh and was so surprised by the quality of this hotel. The hotel opened in 2013 and still seems brand new a year later. My favorite thing about the modern rooms is that there are outlets everywhere! every lamp has two outlets and there are plenty of places to plug in laptops and cell phones right on the nightstand (it amazes me how many top end hotels make ya unplug lamps or move furniture to plug in your cell phone next to your bed). The breakfast area is the nicest that I have seen in a Hampton Inn. The location is not close to downtown Raleigh, but it is next to a large mall with plenty of dining options. Hampton Inn is of course a budget level hotel in the Hilton chain but this is far nicer than most higher end properties I have visited (and at Hampton Inn you get free internet and breakfast).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Milroy, Indiana
Reviewed March 7, 2014

First off, I have to say that I am extremely picky when it comes to hotels. I booked this hotel with reward points and they screwed up the reservation. Fortunately I was able to get it resolved before check-in. Although the hotel is somewhat difficult to get to, it was very nice. First impression was that of an upscale city hotel, not just a Hampton Inn for business travelers - and that was wonderful! The clerk at check-in was very friendly and helpful after my long 12-hour drive. Parking was not impossible but wasn't optimum because of the way the hotel is situated on a hill. I was on the 6th floor and the elevators were conveniently located and easy to find. My room was very nice, very clean, very comfortable and well maintained (if not relatively new). Internet was fast and dependable. The bathroom was excellent and very clean. The bed was comfy. The climate control system was easy to regulate. The hotel was quiet. And my ultimate test of a good hotel - the towels were soft and smelled good.

The breakfast was very good and the food staff friendly. The lobby area is moderately large and welcoming, perfect for a quiet morning where I caught up on email and read. All in all, it was a lovely stay and I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
South Carolina
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My family stayed in this hotel while we were in town for the Lego KidsFest. My first impression was excellent. The front desk was so friendly and helpful, the lobby was lovely. We went to our first room and both my husband and I immediately noticed an odor of cigarette smoke. We promptly called the front desk and within two minutes, an employee greeted us on our floor to accompany us to a new room. The new room was perfect. Very clean, very attractive and comfortable. We had a King Suite and my kids slept on the pull out couch. We were all comfortable.

We visited the pool after settling into our room and it was really lovely. The decor, lighting, comfortable furniture and the large TV made it feel much more than just a regular pool. They even had guest pool towels that they brought out.

That evening as my children were going to bed, some men on the floor beneath us somehow stepped out onto and awning or roof ledge (not quite sure) and were talking very loudly. I called the front desk and within three minutes, the problem had been resolved. I will let you know that we were on the side of the hotel facing the busy road and there was road noise but it was not to the point where any of us were disturbed and could not sleep.

My overall stay was outstanding, but the breakfast was extremely disappointing and tarnished my impression of the hotel a bit which is a shame. It was obvious when I first arrived to the breakfast area, the Belgian waffle cookers were very popular so it took a very long time to get to use one. I feel like it can be organized better so that the waffle makers are out of the way of the breakfast bar. They should probably invest in more waffle makers as we probably waited 20 minutes to make two. I felt bad making 4 for my family because I didn't want to hold up the line, so I only made enough for the kids. Plus, they only had sugar free syrup and said they had run out of the regular. If I had been managing the breakfast area, I would have had someone run to the grocery store to get more because many guests were asking for regular syrup.

When you go to any restaurant, you will find utensils in separate upright containers. This is so that you can easily reach in for the appropriate utensil without having to touch and sort through the rest that other people will be using. This idea seemed to escape the breakfast staff. I was a bit annoyed that all of the different utensils were thrown into a large bowl, so searching for a fork beneath all the spoons, you had to touch other peoples future utensils. I grabbed a napkin to move spoons and knives aside but, really, why don't they have proper utensil holders? The drink machine was broken and the croissants should not have been pre-sliced because they dried out. I will say the young man working in the breakfast area was friendly and apologetic about the syrup but I did not personally hear anything from the manager. I understand that the breakfast is "complimentary" but, really, you figure you are paying for that along with the hotel when you are planning a trip. You count on at least a decent, timely and edible meal before you begin your day.

Thank you again to the desk staff that made our stay enjoyable and thank you for the beautiful ambiance of the hotel. I hope that my suggestions and concerns about the breakfast will be helpful.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room away from the busy road. If you have any issues with your room upon a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank vangogh107
Foster City, California
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel is located on a bluff overlooking the intersection at the entrance to the mall. Very easy to see the hotel, getting to it in rush hour is a little more challenging. But persevere because the hotel is new and nice. Good breakfast in large room, newer design with TV's at some tables as well as comfortable seating.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Spring Lake, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Very disappointed with the service I received from the front desk and housekeeping. My room was not cleaned prior to 4pm and no wake up call as requested. I asked for a manager to call me and never recieve the call. Although this hotel is clean, I do not recommend it and I do plan on staying at this location again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had to take our dog to see a specialist in Cary, 2 hours from home. It was decided that a biopsy was needed & they happened to have an opening in surgery the same day. We made the decision to stay the night so we didn't have to drive back in the morning. We decided to stay at this hotel because we had a good experience here last summer. We showed up with the clothes on our backs, (and they were covered in dog hair!). Tristin at the front desk welcomed us & quickly pulled together some toiletries to get us through our stay. She also gave us directions to a nearby Walmart for anything else we might need.. She said they could even drive us there if needed..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Very Nice hotel close to the Crabtree Mall northwest of the city of Raleigh. This is a relatively new facility and it is within walking distance of plenty of shopping and dining facilities at the mall. You can't walk to the downtown area very easily, but it is right off of Interstate 440 so it is easy to get into and out of, and downtown is only a 10 minute drive south/southeast.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family