Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$139
$85
$294
Renaissance Hotels
  • Pool
All reviewsthe concierge loungeraleigh marriottcrabtree valleydirectly across the streethuge mallthe cheesecake factoryplatinum membermain lobbybusiness travelerunder constructionking roomhotel restaurantindoor poolfront desk staffnice stayenjoyed my stayvery nice hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Three work associates and I stayed at the Marriott Crabtree for two nights while attending a professional conference that was held at the hotel. Overall, I was very pleased.

Relatively easy to find, the Marriott Crabtree is situated directly across the street from a great mall. Having shopping and restaurants nearby was very convenient during my off-time from the conference. The landscaping and parking areas are nice, neat, and attractive. The main entrance is a little confusing because the main doors do not open directly into the lobby. Visitors must choose to walk left or right upon entering. Signage is present but not very effective.

I did not check in personally, so I do not know how the front-desk experience was. My boss seemed pleased (she was the one who checked us in). Elevator service was quite speedy the whole trip.

Our room was neat, clean, and outfitted with the newer Marriott interior style- -which is very pleasant. We were on only the second floor, and our view was of the roof below. I'm not concerned too much about views.

The beds were very comfortable, and there were a ton of pillows from which to choose. I slept like a log both nights. 2 Queen beds, a desk, and other furniture left little extra space in the room, which is to be expected in an older hotel.

The conference areas were wonderful. They are all close to each other, which makes for easy transition between programs. The new carpeting and decor made a great impression. Good breakfast catereing. The lunch catering was so-so. The bread, salad, and dessert were good, but the main dish was not. I skipped it.

The two things that bugged me about this property were:

(1) The hotel website advertises that free wireless internet is available in the lobby. There was none, or it wasn't working. The only other option was to find a coffeshop that offered it or pay $10 for in-room connection.

(2) I expect hotels to provide a warm, welcoming ambiance in their lobbies, restaurants, and lounges. I was looking forward to relaxing downstairs with a drink (and my laptop). In an admirable effort to ease their impact on the environment, they ignored the important role lighting plays in creating that ambiance. Every light fixture contained a compact fluorescent bulb, making me feel like I walked into a nicely decorated K-Mart instead of a hotel. Even the backlighting that was supposed to be decorative behind the bar was fluorescent! I know I am sensitive to this, perhaps more than others, but it affected my stay.

Pro List
- convenient location
- nice landscaping/outdoors
- speedy elevators
- nice rooms
- comfy beds
- good conference setting

Con List
- some rooms have icky views
- no wireless as was promised
- compromised ambiance in common areas because of inappropriate lighting

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank pollyjean23
Reviewed January 25, 2008

As far as Marriotts go, this hotel was a disappointment. The parking situation is terrible! The hotel was clean but nothing special as far as amenities. I did really like the Bath & Body Works shampoo, conditioner, and lotion provided. The store was out of toothbrushes so I had to go to Target down the road to buy one.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2007

Traveled to Raleigh recently for business. The kids didn't have school, so everyone road along. Went to bed around 10:30. At 3 a.m., a car alarm goes off. Of course, the owner of the car must have been on the other side of the hotel. I leave for my meeting at 7:30, and it is still going. The hotel did not take car info, so they could not id whose car it was. Disappointed they did not just tow the car, and let the owner suffer a bit. Everyone was complaining about it the next morning. Not really the hotel's fault, but they needed to take action. My wife noted stains on the bathroom rug, and hairs in the bed (Gross). My son noticed that the doors to the room had a gap on the bottom. That would come into play Friday night. Our room was about 4 from the elevator so the partiers could wake us coming and going. Usually we bring a fan for white noise, but we forgot, and we paid for it. Rooms on both sides of us came in late so we did not get much sleep. So again, not the hotels fault on the neighbors noise, but the gap under the door, and thin walls really are not good for customer satisfaction.
We stayed here a year ago and had no problems. Not sure if the why the abrupt change.
Thanks for reading. PS. They need to improve their coffee too.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveling_Flipflops
Reviewed October 13, 2007

The Raleigh Marriott is warm, inviting, and definitely a hotel to consider if your travel takes you to Raleigh. I stayed on two separate occasions and both experiences were similarly positive.

Checkin was a breeze and the reception staff was unexpectedly friendly and helpful. The lobby is unexceptional but never crowded or noisy. The hotel is smoke free.

There are concierge-level rooms and standard rooms. I found them to be similar in style and size. The one difference is that the carpet and common areas on the "regular" floors is in need of repair/updating. However, I was told that the hotel is scheduled for renovation later this year.

Rooms are adequate in size and well-equipped. Beds are comfortable. Internet connection is easy. Wake up calls came on time both days. Bathroom is unremarkable. No mini-bar and no water in the room (even for purchase).

The concierge lounge is nice. There is a hot breakfast (eggs and a meat) plus continental breafast along with evening hors d'oeuvres and desserts and free water/sodas. Alcohol is an extra charge.

Room service was quite good. Food was delivered promptly, was hot, and really tasted good. Trays were picked up very quickly -- I never saw dirty trays in the hallways.

The only negative is the elevators. There are only 2, which is not adequate for the size of the hotel. You can wait up to 5 minutes during morning and evening "rush." Just know this and plan accordingly.

The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful and did their best to make my stays pleasant. The hotel is close to the airport (offers a shuttle) and not far from RTP. It certainly exceeded my expectations. If you're coming to Raleigh and the hotel location works for you, definitely consider it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2007

This hotel is situated directly across from Crabtree Mall, and with easy access to downtown. Although probably the last choice for any traveler to the RTP area (25 mins drive), this is a good option for anyone needing to stay or do business in Raleigh-proper.

Pool and fitness center were neither stellar nor horrible. Just needing some upgrades. Restaurant and Bar are your average Marriott fare, and rooms are spacious and renovated in the past 5 years.

The Embassy Suites is right next door, and a comparable option, probably better for the family-set. For a business traveler, however, the Marriott was a trouble-free, smoothly-run experience. I would stay here again.

My only major suggestion to the management would be to update the lobby, which is dated, and tone-down the "mood music" playing around the hotel grounds.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo