“Totally disappointing Christmas dinner” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley

Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley
Ranked #27 of 83 Hotels in Raleigh
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Totally disappointing Christmas dinner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I called the week prior to Christmas to make a reservation for 4 adults and 3 children for the Marriott Christmas buffet. First of all, I was sent to an answer machine but I left my request and my phone number and asked for a confirmation of dinner for 7 at 6:00p.m. I never received a return call (which should have been my first clue) but I am a Marriott rewards member and usually enjoy good service. After several days I called again---this time I was told there was no space until 8 p.m. I indicated my displeasure at being previously ignored and hung up. Shortly I did receive a call from a restaurant manager who apologized and said she would work me in at 6. The price was $35 per adult and $17 per child. I assumed the buffet would be quite lavish at that price. When we arrived, the place was half empty and it remained that way the entire time we ate. (Where was the lack of space?) The buffet was average or less, and there was nothing for the kids. We had to order separately from the menu for them to have anything at all to eat. The atmosphere was deadly---no one smiled or welcomed us, there was nothing festive, no music, and most of the clientele looked as if they had come in from working in their yards. I am totally embarrassed that I selected this place for our special family Christmas dinner. The bill was over $200 and I have had tastier food at McDonald's. I found this very sad at a Marriott property.
I do want to say that the one positive of the evening was our waiter Marcus. He was a delight and did everything possible to make things for us all. His nice personality and attention were much appreciated.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Trumbull, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

A typical mid-level business hotel with all the usual amenities. Rooms were clean and nicely appointed but slightly dated. Not palace for a luxurious vacation, but perfectly adequate for a couple of nights.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sljayhawk
Apex, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I went to the restaurant for a buffet on Christmas Night 2012 around 5:30. When we made our reservation the person on the phone said it would be $35 per person. That sounded kind of high but I thought it must be really good for that price. I wish we had left once we got there and there was no one to seat us. The food didn't look particularly appetizing and It certainly wasn't either. The turkey tasted like something out of a can. The prime rib was way undercooked. All the vegetables we tried were very mediocre. We tried some fruit and it was awful. The cantelope was actually unedible. Seriously, we have had much better meals from cafeterias and the buffet should not have cost over $8.95 per person. This restaurant was very good about 10-12 years ago,but has certainly gone down the hill since. We will definitely never come back. Service not good either.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was very unimpressed with this hotel - the carpet was extremely dirty, the room smelled like a wet dog and there was a huge industrial vacuum in my room that the staff did not remove for the 3 nights that I stayed there.

The bathroom showed age, with the tiles faded and the bathtub leaking. The bed was comfortable (grateful for that), but because the room smelled so bad, I couldn't get a good night's sleep. I will not stay at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank iaccess
Muncie, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

What's not to like - as long as "the company" is picking up the tab?? (LOL).

Great hotel - really everything was perfect - except - we were supposed to be staying in the DOWNTOWN MARRIOTT - where the convention we were attending was being held - but "something" was screwed up "somewhere" - so we were "stuck" at this one. it was not that big of a deal though - about 12 minutes from downtown.

It does have a real nice pool and hot tub!!

And the beds were actually awesome - maybe the most comfortable bed I ever slept in.

If you had to get stuck somewhere - this is not that bad a place to get stuck. I would stay Downtown though next time - because - well - that is where everthing is happening at (assuming you are traveling for "pleasure". Oh - you know that "free breakfast" you are used to everywhere (?) - um - not here - free coffee ONLY!

Room Tip: All the same I would think.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent a couple nights here for a company event, and it's pretty clear that their main clientele is companies who use the exhibition rooms and also offer corporate rates. The hotel itself is showing its age a bit, as the rooms are a tad small and dark, the TV was a bit spotty (volume would cut out for no reason) and the bath is clean but unremarkable. It does have a nice indoor pool, nice exercise room, and a whirlpool, and ample parking although it can be a short walk. Personally, given the plethora of newer, well-priced hotels in the area I wouldn't pay to stay here. However if the company has you staying here, it's not a bad place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have stayed at this property for the past 30 years. Over the years there have been several renovations. The beds are a 10 and the room size and location cannot be beat. Shoot down Glennwood Ave either direction and you're in 5 Points downtown or at the airport in minutes.

Walk across Glennwood Ave and you're at the mall. Within a 5 min walk is The Cheesecake Factory, Flemings Steakhouse, Brio and several other good spots for a bite. This is why when in Raleigh, I stay no where else.

For the Vegans of the world, there is a nice selection on the menu. Their veggie burgers are made in house, served on a whole wheat bun! what a killa burger!
Hummus and sweet potato fries are a good side. Marriott just gets it on the food service side for hotel chains.The chef actually came out and asked how everything was with my food and every food served that evening. That is classy and caring. Love it. He has been here for 4 years and was very complimentary of the menu that Marriott has created for him to work with.

Stay here, forget the rest.

Room Tip: any room is fine,, 6th floor is good , due to the concierge lounge
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business