“Its Ok.”

Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown
Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This hotel has recently gone through a make over, but it was done cheep (like putting lipstick on a pig). Having said that, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff is accommodating. The location is convenient walking distance to downtown restaurants and bars.

A couple of issues though: The hotel room keys just kept failing....which is a big pain in the you know what....Also, the hotel just transitioned from a Clarion and Holiday Inn couldn't' t figure out how to give me Priority Club points for my week long stay. Just annoying!

Overall, the hotel is just OK.

Room Tip: I would probably look for another hotel at a comparable price in the area next time.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ed M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Ed M,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel in the area and found our staff to be friendly. We would like to apologize for the experience you had with your room keys and any shortfalls you have experienced that did not live up to your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I have stayed several times before in this hotel when it was still the Clarion and enjoyed my stay very much, so I expected great things in the newly renovated Holiday Inn. I was VERY disappointed. Problems in order of level of inconvenience:

1) No hot water: The first morning of my stay, I arose at 6am and could only get a trickle of hot water in the sink, and the same was true in the shower. I showered with intermittent hot water - quickly jumping under the trickle when it warmed and out again when it turned cold. As I left the hotel that morning, I mentioned the lack of hot water to the desk clerk who then yelled to a maintenance staff person standing nearby that the hot water problem was everywhere, not just on the top floors (I was on the 15th floor). She said she had been sending people to 7th floor. The second morning, I was relieved to have good water pressure, but there was no hot water, and once again, I took a quick less than lukewarm shower. As I was leaving that morning, other guests were reporting to the desk (saying second morning in a row), and the clerk was giving them key cards to what I assume were vacant rooms on the 7th floor where presumably there was hot water.
2) Problems with wi-fi: When I checked in, I asked about wi-fi and whether I needed an access code and was told I did not. When I got to the room and tried to connect, it said I needed a password, so I called the front desk and was given a code with an emphasis from the clerk that the first letter was uppercase. It did not work, so I called back and she apologized and told me to try again with a lowercase first letter - that worked, and wi-fi worked well all evening. The next evening, I needed to do several hours of work online and was unable to get connected. I called the front desk, and a clerk confirmed she could not connect with her phone and said she would have someone reset the router and to try again in 10 minutes. I tried several more times later, but it never worked for more than a minute or so before disconnecting again. I spoke with other guests the next morning who had been frustrated by the same situation. I could have just set up a hotspot with my phone, but the Verizon signal in the hotel was very weak as well. I had to stand by the window with my phone to get a decent signal.
3) Nonworking safe: I wanted to use the safe in my room to stash things during the day. The safe was located just a few inches off the floor with instructions printed on it. I actually had to lie down on my belly to read them, and nothing I tried worked. It was a nice safe - allowing me to either enter a PIN or swipe a credit card, but it did not function. I called the front desk and they sent up a maintenance person who discovered batteries had not been installed. He left and returned with batteries, and it worked fine after that. He was polite and efficient - just seems like batteries should have already been checked.
4) Noise: I have stayed in this hotel's rooms near the elevator before and have never been bothered by noise, but during this stay, I could hear the roar of the elevator going up and down all the time. I don't know how the walls could have gotten thinner during the renovation, but it is a good thing I am not a light sleeper.
5) Questionable cleanliness: There were soap/water spots on the bathroom counter, and sticky spots on the desk.
6) Uninformed staff: When I checked in, I asked the desk clerk about the free downtown bus loop - the R-line and whether it only ran in one direction; she said she thought so and tried to confirm it with the other clerk who also said she thought so, but neither of them could say so with certainty. One would think that hotel employees would be better informed about public transportation guests will use. Another example is the situation mentioned above with wi-fi passwords - first told there was not one, then given wrong one, and after third inquiry, getting the correct one.

All that said, there were positives - the renovated decor is nicer (but I care less about that than hot water and working wi-fi). The bed was comfortable, and the TV and heating system worked well. I did not try the restaurant, but I can say I was disappointed that the breakfast buffet the Clarion was famous for is no longer. During past stays I had enjoyed a made-to-order omelet and wonderful buffet of hot foods and fresh fruits every morning of my stay. I looked at the menu in my room and decided not to bother based on descriptions. All in all, I have to say that the Clarion was a well kept secret, and the Holiday Inn is in need of serious improvement. My rating of good value is based solely on the fact that I received a discount rate through a conference I was attending. The regular rates are not warranted for the poor service and accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BarbaraZT
Tom D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear BZTaylor,
Thank you so very much for taking your time to reflect on your recent stay at our newly refreshed property. We certainly appreciate the kind words in reference to your feelings regarding the new rooms and promise we will have the restaurant breakfast in order as you knew it!
We cannot apologize enough for the items in which you had issues, a perfect storm in our eyes. I can tell you our water and high speed internet items has been solved, a day late unfortunately.
We will continue to work with our staff to be the best guest service agents in the market. Knowledgeable about all items within the hotel as well the local area. We will be far more prepared in the future and hope you will provide us the opportunity to change your mind.
Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you or answer any additional questions.
Regards,
Tom Dillon

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I drive down from Va for the opening of her boyfriends new restaurant. I stayed in my own room and check-in was seamless. The room was clean, great bed, but the heating/cooling unit is terrible. There is no real comfortable setting. For a newly renovated hotel I expected more. There is also no seal on the doors so there is a gap, which makes everything in the hallway extremely loud! They are rebranding to the holiday inn and there were discrepancies in the service. There was no complimentary continental breakfast, not even coffee or tea. There is a rooftop restaurant, but the menu was not in my room and the tv channels were not accurate as well. I couldn't even make coffee in my own room because the coffee maker was missing a part. Overall I don't think I would stay here again when I can go to others locally who offer the complimentary breakfast and a quieter space for the same nightly rate.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Orlando F, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize that your stay was less than accommodating. It is our goal to make sure guests are happy with their accommodations from arrival to departure. In this instance, we fell short of our desired goal, which I am truly sadden by. Please contact me directly so I can bring some sense of resolution for the mishaps you encountered.

In Hospitality,

919.582.1833

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I find myself at the Clarion every other month or so when I am in Raleigh for business and I have found it to be a comfortable place to be.

I was pleasantly surprised with the new renovations but my favorite bartender seems to be missing! I have found it to be an extremely enjoyable to interact with a service professional like Ronan who is not only on top of his game but who remembers me and my favorite drink. I have seen him bring strangers in a bar together in a way that is rare and has certainly kept me up past my bedtime laughing my head off.

I hope my buddy comes back soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Orlando F, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

From a fellow Wilmingtonian to another, thank you for choosing our downtown location for your lodging accommodations, yet again. Please come back and visit on your next visit to Raleigh, as we are nearing the final stages of becoming Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown-Capital!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed one night there. At the beginning it was great then you can hear very loud sounds cuz I think the walls are thin so you can hear everything but is not that big problem is fine with us because We booked at last minute. The biggest problem was that after Charleston we come back and dropped our phone in the water so we were lost somehow we made it to Releigh so we went to this hotel as we stayed there couple of days before and the front desk lady was really unhelpful and as they were busy we asked for a favor that she can recommended any hotel around and she did not even look at us so we had to drive around and finally we found one, Goodness we have now wifi so we an figure out our way.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlpacaExpeditions
Orlando F, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with our front desk staff. I can ensure you this not the way we treat our guest and I will research the incident. Please feel free to contact me if I can provide any further assistance.

Ofaison@soundhospitality.com

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Work colleagues thought I was crazy staying at a run-down Clarion given other options. I proved them wrong. This is a classy 1960's mid-century modern facility currently under renovation. The octagonal structure is a beauty. Parking styles are emblematic of the period---parking garage to elevator to room. Totally built around the enduring car culture. Rooms look to be Holiday Inn as the loveable hard/soft pillows are now present in the room.

Wonderful wifi (free), parking, staff (all people in the south are so, so friendly makes me want to smile), nice beds and classic architecture make this a memorable stay among very, very limited options in downtown Raleigh. This place needs to build more hotels preferably boutiques. but I will welcome a Holiday Inn condition hotel on a whim in this market as well. Value price was extraordinary good under $100. Rooms are small, but who cares in such a great building.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JTCFIA
Orlando F, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

What an awesome review, we're glad to hear we provided you with a memorable stay! I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our team members. We are proud of our octagonal structure, it is certainly an historic landmark.

Our ultimate goal is to become the preferred hotel for guests visiting Downtown Raleigh. I want to personally welcome you back when we are the Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown-Capital.

In Hospitality,

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was concerned after reading previous reviews of this hotel that was booked for me by my company. While renovations are still underway, the room I was in had already been renovated. They have done it nicely! The bed was very comfortable and of course the room was very clean. While the restaurant was closed during my stay this second weekend of January, the hotel did set up a complementary hot breakfast buffet in the lobby which was higher quality than many other breakfast buffets at other hotels that I had paid for in the past. I recommend anyone staying in the downtown Raleigh area to consider this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank c120jon
Orlando F, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

~Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.~ William Arthur Ward

Thank you for your kind choice of words. We hope to see you soon!

Best Regards,