“Not fancy but not bad at all”

Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown
Ranked #38 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
“Not fancy but not bad at all”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Went to Raliegh with my son so he could attend a concert...the room was fine. Nothing extraordinary but not bad. The room was adequate- cable, coffee maker, the usual hotel room. The location was nice, near enough to the Lincoln theater my son could walk. It was also a block away from my new favorite bar- The Flying Saucer Club. If you like beer at all you absolutely must check it out....
There is free parking and the staff is very nice. The cleanliness was fine...it's not a new hotel but I wouldn't say its at all run down. I would go there again. The price for a night was a $100 with tax...much cheaper than the nearby fancy hotels. Overall I was very pleased with everything.

• Stayed May 2013
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear PeteSev,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the great location we have! Lots of restaurants and attractions located within a short walk. Happy you enjoyed the staff, and all took good care of you. We all look forward to seeing you back on your next visit to Raleigh. Thank you for your feedback.

Clarion Raleigh Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

As the line goes, location , location , location. The hotel is ideally located in the heart of the city, thanks to this we were able to walk around, reach Moore square in time for a street fair and a music performance by the Wailers ,, all the sites , good restaurants are in close proximity . Only one downside to the hotel, they need slightly larger bathrooms , one can barely stand , let alone turn around in them.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear prateekchawla,

Thank you for your great feedback! You are right about location, and we are fortunate to have the best location in downtown Raleigh. Great to have all the restaurants, museums, shops and the state capital within walking distance. We hope to see you back in the near future!

Rockingham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were in Raleigh for my son's graduation from NC State on Mother's Day weekend. We had 2 rooms on the 15th floor. We enjoyed breakfast at the Top of the Tower. Their breakfast bar is well priced and very nice.The cook makes your eggs or omelets to order. He was very nice. Hotel is within walking distance to the capital and museums.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Karen M,

I am so happy to hear you really enjoyed your stay with us last week! Glad you enjoyed the restaurant and our great location. We are fortunate to have an incredible view of Raleigh. Wonderful to be close to so many restaurants, museums and the capital. Hope to see you back with us again!

Jacksonville, NC
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed last week for three nights at Clarion - during my stay I needed to make space because of weather in my car for a guests to join me for dinner. I asked the front desk staff if they had room for my cube cooler that I had in my back seat -from a function I attended at Women's Prison that morning. The gentleman was very helpful and took my name, but as things happen I forgot all about it during the hustle and bustle of my stay. Monday morning I called to inquire about my cooler and was informed they threw it away - because it had trash in it (all boxes and cellophane from items we gave to ladies in prison - nothing smelly) - then if that was not bad enough - she hung up on me!

If that is the type of service management provides - I am not surprised that the hotel is falling apart at the seams. The bartender is hopeless, the rooms are old, ugly, smelly, and gross...and now I find the staff is headed up by idiots! They throw my cooler away before a person has time to get back to their office for trash being neatly placed inside, but rent rooms at that delapadated excuse for a hotel.

I am in the tourism business - so take it from me - unless you can't afford anything else - don't stay here! If I had not been on schlorship I would never thought to stay there, but I promise I will not make that mistake ever again.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Whitecourt, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 10 days while attending a training session. I loved the wrap around parking that let you come and go without going through the lobby - the elevator lets out at three different parking levels. The restaurant on top doesn't revolve, but the food was great and the service was fast and friendly. The folks on the front desk were also friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend staying here if you have business in Raleigh.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking downtown if you like to see the night lights.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Linz-2k,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us! I am glad you found the hotel comfortable, and enjoyed our great location. It is a great walking city, with so many restaurants and museums within walking distance. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Thanks!

Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Should have written sooner but better late than never. Anyway, we made a weekend trip to Raleigh in December for Christmas shopping and just to enjoy the city where I grew up. Stayed on the 11th floor and thoroughly enjoyed the view of the downtown skyline. I actually watched this building going up as a teenager and have been there many times over the years when friends were in town or just to go to the top for food or drink, including one time during a snowstorm and more than once during a thunderstorm. Parking was very convenient, the room was clean, and the hotel is close to everything I wanted to visit - Cameron Village, 42nd St. Oyster Bar, Glenwood South, Christ Episcopal Church, and Hillsborough St. to the Beltline. The staff was friendly, including the gentleman who made us omelettes to order for breakfast. Also a very attentive lady who kept our coffee cups filled. Thanks so much!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Hawko 159,

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us during Christmas!! We are so lucky to have the best view of Raleigh from our guest rooms and restaurant on the top floor. Glad you enjoyed being able to easily get to all that Raleigh has to offer in and around downtown. We hope to see you back with us again in the near future!

Thanks!

Brevard, North Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed on the 15th floor. Wireless was good, TV had most cable channels, and bed was comfortable, although the king size bed had only 3 somewhat small pillows. The room was clean and parking is attached to the hotel for easy access. The hotel is conveniently located for visiting the NC Museum of Natural and Sciences, and the Sate Capitol. The reason this review gets 4 out of 5, rather than 5 out of 5 is the restaurant service. I arrived in the restaurant at 6:45 am for breakfast, and there was only one other table with two people who had already ordered. I ordered 2 eggs, sausage and toast. I waited 30 minutes for this order to show up - actually I was walking out when they came with m order. I would've better off leaving the hotel for breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike C
Dear Mike C.,

I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us! I am so glad you loved the convenience of the hotel, being near so much in downtown Raleigh. It is great to be able to walk so many places. I have addressed the slow service you received in the restaurant and apologize for that. I hope you come back to visit us to show that has improved. Thanks again for the feedback!