“Under renovation but great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown

Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown
Ranked #36 of 83 Hotels in Raleigh
richmond
“Under renovation but great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed recently while visiting for a road race. While the hotel was undergoing renovations the service and staff were friendly and accommodating. I'm still amazed they have smoking rooms in this day and age, as over room had a strong stale smoke smell.

Room Tip: Make sure you get non-smoking if that is your preference
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
DOSHIRM2010, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the opportunity to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We where in the midst of replacing our hallway carpet while you were here and we are pleased with the new carpet and hope all of our guests like it as much as we do!!

We take pride in our hotel and we really do appreciate all of the feedback from our guests.

Thank you again for your review.

Director of Sales
Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Jasper, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

There aren't many reasonable places to stay in downtown Raleigh. We tried this as an alternative to some other places we've stayed, and this has become our go-to place. It's a short hop to downtown. We didn't use room service or the restaurant, but there are places to eat nearby.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We really do appreciate any feedback from our guests.

Yes, downtown Raleigh is only 5 miles away from our property. We are “the hidden treasure” of Raleigh’s Midtown!!!

We have some great partnerships with some of the local restaurants around the hotel and be sure to tell our guests about all of them, upon their arrival. People also like the fact that a Trader Joe’s is directly across the street from us.

If you are looking for a hotel that is away from the all the hustle and bustle of a downtown property, then be sure to book a room with us. We’d love to have you stay with us!!!

Greensboro, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Good location, helpful staff. Short drive to the city center. Nice breakfast. Rooms clean. Will book directly through Hilton in future as I could no earn my Hilton Honors points booking through Expedia, and they will match or beat Expedia's prices!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and I was concerned about the noise, however it was very quiet with a ful...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were out of our house due to renovation, and found this inexpensive new year option. Very nice and attentive staff, recently refurbished, great breakfast bar with plenty of choices (3 kinds of coffee in the pots). Accommodated us on a room change beyond the norm. I would definitely come back here to stay with the family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Grass Valley, Calif.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was the second year in a row we stayed at this hotel for a week prior to Thanksgiving. We asked for our same room in advance and were happy to get it at check-in. Noticed a smoke smell in the hallway on the 5th floor and learned that the other wing of 5th floor was for smokers (we were at the far end of the non-smoking wing). We hadn't noticed a smell our first time here, so that was a surprise. The front desk clerk said they would be renovating the hotel and "maybe it would change." (I think he meant they may become an entirely non-smoking hotel.) The odor did not enter our room, so we didn't let it bother us.

Staff was friendly and professional, maids also gave us a nice greeting in the halls. Nice breakfast/lounge area off the front lobby, and wireless Internet works very well. Exercise room right off the lobby had a doctor's scale, which came in handy when we wanted to weigh our big suitcase before leaving for the airport.

Morning breakfast has a good selection, but I wish they had kept the hard-boiled eggs from last year. I also thought I remembered that last year we could get a small tray to take breakfast up to our room, but no trays this year.

Despite the above small problems, I'm giving this four stars because it's pretty much the only place in this area of Raleigh that is a quality operation with an affordable room rate. It's 1/2 block from Trader Joe's, so very convenient to get food for keeping snacks and beverages in the room frig. One block to Costco (we visit family when here). If they renovate, I'm very much hoping they don't raise the room rates, as we will stay here again if rates continue to be affordable.

Moyock, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

To be fair, from what I was told, this hotel will be refurbished in the very near future. That said; I would not stay here again until it happens. Here are a few of the issues I had with the place:
1. No one was at the desk to check us in for 5-10 minutes, but there was someone playing on the computer behind the desk (not sure what his job is).
2. Water in coffee pot was luke-warm (would not disolve hot chocolate mix) which doesn't seem like a big deal unless your all the way up on the 5th floor like we were.
3. The elevator was slipping so when we reached the top floor it bounced up and down for about 15 seconds- not a pleasant experience. When I notified the person at the front desk he seemed almost disinterested. He made eye contact, but ignored me when another person approached the desk.
4. Vending machines would not accept bills.
5. The entire 5th floor smells like smoke...Big time!
6. The ironing board in the room was worthless.

Some of these items may seem trivial, but I expect more from Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke, don't stay on the 5th floor.
    • 3 of 5 stars
DOSHIRM2010, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel.

We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for your experience.

As you stated we will be renovating very soon, and we want to thank all of our guests for their patience.

We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience, and we want you to know that we have addressed our staff in regards to your review, and we will make the appropriate corrections.

We hope you will come visit us in the future so you can enjoy our upgrades as well.

Thank you again for your review.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I did not give this hotel a 1 because I did not see any bugs however, this hotel has an entire floor dedicated to smokers. This is not a tall building! I understand that there are still people out there who do smoke however, since I do not smoke, I do not want to be subjected to anyone else's smoke residue. There were no non smoking rooms left and I had to sleep in a smoking room. The entire floor stunk. The room itself stunk.

The beds were lumpy and the mattress was wobbly. I did not use the amenities because they were no name brand and I don't need to be washing my hair with something that looks like dishwashing detergent. The room was shabby. The sheets were either stained with lipstick or dirty; Luckily there were two beds to choose from.

I have only stayed at a Hampton Inn one time before and I did not remember it to be this run down. I then realized that it was not all hotels since I have since stayed in a Hampton Inn in West Haven, CT (the same one I had stayed in previously) and was reminded that they are not all this run down. I am not disparaging the brand, just this particular hotel.

On a more positive note, the breakfast was fine and the coffee quite good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
DOSHIRM2010, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with our hotel.

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

I wanted to let you know that we are getting ready for a complete renovation. We will start in the lobby then we will be working on our guestrooms.

The next time you stay at a Hampton Inn, and you are unsatisfied, please let us know. We have 100% satisfaction guarantee in place and we stand by it.

If you’d like, please contact the hotel directly so we can see what we can do for you.