New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown

Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown
Ranked #38 of 83 Hotels in Raleigh
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great stay with family for a week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were out of our house due to renovation, and found this inexpensive new year option. Very nice and attentive staff, recently refurbished, great breakfast bar with plenty of choices (3 kinds of coffee in the pots). Accommodated us on a room change beyond the norm. I would definitely come back here to stay with the family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Grass Valley, Calif.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was the second year in a row we stayed at this hotel for a week prior to Thanksgiving. We asked for our same room in advance and were happy to get it at check-in. Noticed a smoke smell in the hallway on the 5th floor and learned that the other wing of 5th floor was for smokers (we were at the far end of the non-smoking wing). We hadn't noticed a smell our first time here, so that was a surprise. The front desk clerk said they would be renovating the hotel and "maybe it would change." (I think he meant they may become an entirely non-smoking hotel.) The odor did not enter our room, so we didn't let it bother us.

Staff was friendly and professional, maids also gave us a nice greeting in the halls. Nice breakfast/lounge area off the front lobby, and wireless Internet works very well. Exercise room right off the lobby had a doctor's scale, which came in handy when we wanted to weigh our big suitcase before leaving for the airport.

Morning breakfast has a good selection, but I wish they had kept the hard-boiled eggs from last year. I also thought I remembered that last year we could get a small tray to take breakfast up to our room, but no trays this year.

Despite the above small problems, I'm giving this four stars because it's pretty much the only place in this area of Raleigh that is a quality operation with an affordable room rate. It's 1/2 block from Trader Joe's, so very convenient to get food for keeping snacks and beverages in the room frig. One block to Costco (we visit family when here). If they renovate, I'm very much hoping they don't raise the room rates, as we will stay here again if rates continue to be affordable.

Moyock, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

To be fair, from what I was told, this hotel will be refurbished in the very near future. That said; I would not stay here again until it happens. Here are a few of the issues I had with the place:
1. No one was at the desk to check us in for 5-10 minutes, but there was someone playing on the computer behind the desk (not sure what his job is).
2. Water in coffee pot was luke-warm (would not disolve hot chocolate mix) which doesn't seem like a big deal unless your all the way up on the 5th floor like we were.
3. The elevator was slipping so when we reached the top floor it bounced up and down for about 15 seconds- not a pleasant experience. When I notified the person at the front desk he seemed almost disinterested. He made eye contact, but ignored me when another person approached the desk.
4. Vending machines would not accept bills.
5. The entire 5th floor smells like smoke...Big time!
6. The ironing board in the room was worthless.

Some of these items may seem trivial, but I expect more from Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke, don't stay on the 5th floor.
    • 3 of 5 stars
DOSHIRM2010, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel.

We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for your experience.

As you stated we will be renovating very soon, and we want to thank all of our guests for their patience.

We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience, and we want you to know that we have addressed our staff in regards to your review, and we will make the appropriate corrections.

We hope you will come visit us in the future so you can enjoy our upgrades as well.

Thank you again for your review.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I did not give this hotel a 1 because I did not see any bugs however, this hotel has an entire floor dedicated to smokers. This is not a tall building! I understand that there are still people out there who do smoke however, since I do not smoke, I do not want to be subjected to anyone else's smoke residue. There were no non smoking rooms left and I had to sleep in a smoking room. The entire floor stunk. The room itself stunk.

The beds were lumpy and the mattress was wobbly. I did not use the amenities because they were no name brand and I don't need to be washing my hair with something that looks like dishwashing detergent. The room was shabby. The sheets were either stained with lipstick or dirty; Luckily there were two beds to choose from.

I have only stayed at a Hampton Inn one time before and I did not remember it to be this run down. I then realized that it was not all hotels since I have since stayed in a Hampton Inn in West Haven, CT (the same one I had stayed in previously) and was reminded that they are not all this run down. I am not disparaging the brand, just this particular hotel.

On a more positive note, the breakfast was fine and the coffee quite good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
DOSHIRM2010, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with our hotel.

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

I wanted to let you know that we are getting ready for a complete renovation. We will start in the lobby then we will be working on our guestrooms.

The next time you stay at a Hampton Inn, and you are unsatisfied, please let us know. We have 100% satisfaction guarantee in place and we stand by it.

If you’d like, please contact the hotel directly so we can see what we can do for you.
SpecialK55
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I get to Raleigh about once a year and usually stay at the airport, but this time I needed to be closer to a specific business. A colleague recommended the Hampton Inn and I am very glad I listened to her. The woman who greeted me and checked me in did a great job of explaining the brand and it's guarantee.

I was at first turned off by by room location - directly across the hall from the elevator. I could hear doors opening & closing as well as building sounds and some elevator sounds until about 10:30 p.m., and some things awakened me during the night. Overall it was an "okay" night's sleep. It could have been because this was the last night of a 5 day trip and I miss my bed at home.

Shower height was good, bathroom was large, and the internet, coffee machine, and other basic amenities met my needs.

Room Tip: The room across from the elevator was 325. I wouldn't choose that again.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the way the staff greeted you. I am also glad to know that you were told about our brand amenities and our 100% guarantee.

I am sorry you were not pleased with the location of your room. Next time you travel to Raleigh (or anywhere), if you get to the room you were assigned & you are unhappy with its location let us know. We will definitely try to move you.

Please be advised that we are starting a full renovation to the property, soon. We will start in the lobby and then work our way up to the guestrooms.

Thank you for the positive feedback and your review on TripAdvisor.
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a good place to stay and away from the crowded hotel big guy a mile norht. I rather stay at a smaller place with less traffic than other bigger hotels and this one is inside the beltline being nearby to all the places I had to go to. Will stay here again and again when in town.

• 5 of 5 stars
DOSHIRM2010, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

We are centrally located to several different areas in Raleigh. Being a Midtown hotel, we are close to North Hills mall, Crabtree Valley mall, PNC Arena and downtown Raleigh.

Please come back and visit us, real soon.

Director of Sales
Norman, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We arrived in Raleigh during the last weekend of the State Fair. This is a very popular event and many of the hotels were booked. For some reason the Hampton Inn was almost half price of the other hotels left with rooms. There was some note online about construction, but while there we saw none.

The room was great and the breakfast plentiful. The hotel is well positioned for getting downtown. There are stores and even a WalMart nearby.

We enjoyed our stay and would return there. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Gotta love the NC State Fair!! Hope you had as much fun at the State Fair as you did at our hotel.

We try to make sure we are reasonably priced when a city wide event happens. The great thing about Hampton Inns is that all of our rates include complimentary breakfast and Wi-Fi.

We had originally anticipated renovations to start in the beginning of third quarter. As of right now, we are tentatively scheduled to start in December.

Thank you so much for the compliments.

Director of Sales