“Stay Somewhere Else”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Crabtree
Ranked #28 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Booked the Shopping Spree Package for the wife and I, just a simple getaway. Well, when I arrive I'm greeted at the front desk by a lady I can barely understand. I tell her I have the Shopping Spree Package, she looks as if she doesn't know what I'm talking about, then she says, oh, OK, everything in you're room. OK, I get to the room, a green shopping bag is sitting on the table. Included are 2 bottles of water, and coupons, no $25 gift card. I call front desk, some guy answers and tells me I have to come pick that up at front desk. Well why didn't you give it to me while I was just down there? duh. Well, we always bring our laptop everywhere we go, decided I'd check some emails, etc. Tried to get online, I'm jumping thru the hoops connecting, then at the hotel page, it wants another $9.95 to get connected to the wifi. Are you kidding me? I've never paid for internet connection at a motel. I called frontdesk. Guy answers, I explain my issue, he says since I got the shopping spree package internet not included. Come on guy, even McDonalds gives free internet access for crying out loud, I said. Well, a few minutes later, a knock at the door, front desk lady. She says they have no giftcard but brings me $25 cash instead, OK, whatever. And, she brings me the log-in code to get on the wifi connection. So, all said and done I guess they made it right, after complaining. Shouldn't have to go thru all that. Just honor what you say you offer on you're internet site. Train you're employees what you're packages are. And never try to charge for a complimentary service like internet connection. Now days that's like charging for towels.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clarboy
chriscramarossa, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Crabtree, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2010

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear that your Shopping Spree package was missing the $25 gift card. It sounds like we resolved this by providing you with $25 in cash. This has not happened before and I can assusre you that all of our agents are trained on our specials and packages. I had spoken to our Front Desk agent and she was mearly reading the notes that the package was delivered to the room. As far as she knew the package was complete.
Wireless High speed internet is now something we offer to our gold and diamond HHonors members complimentary. We also have a WIFI package that includes internet in the rate.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

Stayed here with a group in mid-October. On our way to the room we noticed a large roach crawling on the rail at one of the planter-boxes that over-hang the lobby. Fortunately, we found none in the room after a thorough inspection.

The suite had a bit of a musty smell, especially in the bedroom. It was not overwhelming, but noticeable. The fold-out sofa-bed was especially uncomfortable - even for a sofa-bed. My kids - who can sleep on most anything - complained about it.

The lighting in the breakfast area is inadequate. If you are a early riser, there is not enough light early in the morning to see what you are getting in the breakfast area. (For example, you can't dell the difference between the berries and chocolate chips in the muffins. It is difficult to read the labels on the juice machine. Later in the morning it is not so difficult due to sunlight shining through the skylight roof.)

Seating during the week isn't too bad, but on the weekends it is almost impossible to find a table. On Sunday, we found an open table in the (closed) restaurant, but the other half of the restaurant was blocked off. They are SEVERELY understaffed for breakfast on the weekends. On Thursday, two workers stood near my table and complained/agreed with each other about the lack of staff. On Sunday, there were not enough workers to clear the tables efficiently, forcing new diners to push other people's dirty plates aside in order to sit and eat. Also on the weekends, the omelette/pancake line grows to 20-25 people long.

The parking garage is a bit tight with about 1/2 of the spaces designated as "compact car only." The entrance/exit is so tight on one side, it is essentially a one lane area; a car going in must wait for a car going out.

Lastly, the pool is open 24 hours except on Friday and Saturday nights (??) when it is open until 11pm. However, the staff came in to kick children out of the pool at 10pm on those nights because they have an "adults only" hour from 10 to 11.

This Embassy Suites is in a very busy and congested area. It is within moderate walking distance to the Crabtree mall, although there are no sidewalks between the hotel and the main road. The Raleigh-Durham Research Triangle was a much better hotel and overall value than the Crabtree location.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank greenbacks
Reviewed September 29, 2010

It was a night to remember, in more ways then one. I was placed in a room next to a rowdy group. The walls do not block much of the sound and it made for a less then pleasurable experience. The staff was responsive when I called the desk though and the noise dropped off fairly quick. The worst part of the stay though was when I awoke the next morning with bed bug bites. I called the front desk and the clerk apologized and negated the cost of the room, for which I was not looking for. Upon checking out I spoke to the manager on duty regarding the issue and she was less then receptive to the issue. Se basically felt my not being charged for the room was adequate and was actually appearing to be somewhat annoyed to the fact I was at the front desk to address the issue.. I was only trying to be helpful in trying to explain that I belt the bugs were in the fold down sofa, and not the bed. I do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrileyRoxboro
chriscramarossa, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Crabtree, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the manner in which my manager on duty handled this situation. I assure you that we do take customer service very seriously. Moving forward we will utilize your scenario as a training tool for our managers. This will ensure other customers will not have the same experience. We do have a professional pest control company that inspects and treats all rooms monthly. Your room was inspected immediately upon your departure by our pest control company and they did not find any evidence of bed bugs. As a precautionary measure the room was taken out of order for a week and treated.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

My stay has been fabulous and I would definately recommend it to all my fellow colleagues. .

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The Embassy Suites at Crabtree not only has excellent service but their beds are comfortable, the restaurant was delicious (especially the pizza and the chicken sandwich), and the complimentary Manager's Reception (aka Happy Hour) from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm daily cannot be beat. I was greeted by a very charming young man named Jason Berry, who turned out to be the Director of Sales. He was so friendly and warm that I instantly felt at ease and welcome. My room was clean and the bed was heavenly. I took a dip in the indoor pool and lounged in the hot tub after work. It was a truly delightful stay. The Happy Hour, of course, made the after work down time a pleasure - liquor, beer, and wine for free!! Did I mention the food at the in-house restaurant was fantastic?! And there's a huge mall right across the street for anything you could want or need. Embassy was minutes away from downtown where all the night life happens so it was a perfect fit! I'll always stay here when I'm in Raleigh, NC, and nowhere else! Thank you, Embassy!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Paulina11
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Great hotel, General Manager,and staff. From the minute you walk through the doors "everyone" makes you fell like you are home! The hotel is a great location, close to a up scale shopping mall and great resturants.
The hotel and the staff make staying on the road a pleasure!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I have stayed at the Embassy in Charleston, SC, and it is by far superior to this one. Our room smelled musty, almost like someone had been smoking in it. Internet is $10 per day. Breakfast was the only real perk.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ksanders_10
chriscramarossa, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Crabtree, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2010

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than you had expected. Had the issue with your suite been brought to our attention during your stay we would have been happy to relocate you to another suite. Please contact the hotel and we will invoke our 100% satisfaction guarantee policy for this stay or a future stay. It is possible one of the neighboring suites had been smoking. If a guest smokes in a non-smoking suite, we typically take the suite out of order, deep clean, fog and deodorize as well as run an Ozium machine. This procedure completely eliminates the presence of smoke and you are left with a fresh smell in the room.

As far as the internet charge, this is a standard fee that most full service hotels charge. However we do offer free internet in our 24 hour business center. Also Hilton has recently announced that all Diamond and Gold HHonors members will receive complimentary wireless internet across our brands.