“Good room in older, typical Embassy Suites.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Crabtree
Ranked #28 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed August 9, 2013

First, the are. This hotel is across the street from the Crabtree Valley Mall. That being said, we had a fairly difficult time finding a family style place for dinner. however, we were looking at 5pm on a weekday. The traffic is horrendous here, so keep that in mind.

HOTEL: This is an older Embassy Suites property with the "garden", multiple level lobby anf the open atrium. Check-in was fast, and we'd been upgraded to a corner room on the eighth floor (out of nine).
ROOM: Great corner room. I have no idea if it was larger than a typical room, although I doubt it. I wouldnt necessarily pay for this upgrade, since the living area was cut short (the corner). It made the sleeper sofa cover the space from the wall to the TV.
We were in room 832, a typical two room Embassy suite with a very comfortable king size bed, sleeper sofa, large table and a corner window that looked out over the mall and Greenwood Ave.
This is a good room for families, in that there is a bath in the hall between the bedroom and living area, but the bedroom has a separate sink/vanity (note to management, if you are going to have a sink with towels, you may want to install a towel bar and tile below the sink. We put our wet face towels on the sink, but I'm sure there was drippage on the carpet below. I can see that being a problem.
Internet in the room was fast! It's an AT&T hotspot, and I was able to stream netflix with no issue.

LOBBY/ BREAKFAST: I always love cooked to order breakfast at Embassy, and this was no exception.
The breakfast cook was amazing! She handled my four person order of various pancake, sausage or bacon, scrambled or omlet orders like a champ. All eggs and pancakes cooked to order in front of me. My kids said her pancakes were better than mine (which, off course, just ain't true).
There was fresh fruit, juice, coffee breads, etc. available. The main problem with breakfast is the set up. you couldnt get anything hot without standing in an awfully long line that snaked through the lobby (did I mention the ONE cook?). My wife only wanted pancakes and bacon and had to wait 15 minutes in line. Most other Embassy suites have the pancakes, potatoes, bacon and such at another station so you can get to it. This system is un-necessarily bottle-necked.

Other reviews have mentioned the slow elevators. Well, I can go one better. One of the two VERY slow elevators broke as soon as we got off it at our floor.

POOL: Good pool area in lobby next to elevators. Lots of fluffy pool towels and two separate fitness rooms at either end of the pool.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2013

From the front desk to our room to breakfast both morning, our stay was very relaxing. I wished the breakfast time was a bit longer. Maybe to 9:30. It is a quiet and very pleasant place to stay for couples and business functions.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed August 7, 2013

On our way out of the hotel, the chef saw us on the seventh floor with our seven bags and two young kids, and helped us get to the shuttle on time. He was a man of exquisite manners, humor and character - a rarity in our current service climate. I honestly felt that if I offered him a tip, he would be offended. He was the chef, after all, this wasn't his main job, and he wanted to do a good thing by helping us, and being delightful company in the process. He made me laugh even though I was exhausted and a bit annoyed with the duty at hand. I didn't get his name - he was an older gentleman who said he was the chef, and asked several times if we though the food at the hotel was good. And it was - we ordered room service the night before and were all very happy with our meals. We've always enjoyed the Embassy Suites for their happy hour, nice beds, and larger rooms. This time, we were a bit disappointed when they wouldn't let us have a cot in our suite because it was a fire hazard - our kids don't sleep well together in bed, but they had to manage. Otherwise, it was a typical, pleasant experience until time to leave, and I felt honored to get the help of that Chef.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I travel to the Raleigh area regularly for business and this is the hotel my client recommends. As an HHilton Honors member, I get extra perks like 2 bottles of water upon check-in. The first thing you notice, after check-in, is the gorgeous atrium filled with foliage, ambient lighting, and table and chair groupings scattered throughout. When riding the glass elevator to the top floor or looking over your floor's balcony you really get to appreciate this beautiful site. There is a Manager's reception every night Sunday - Thursday from 5:30-7:30 p.m. and you get good stuff, too, not just beer and wine, but any mixed drink. Try the rum punch...delish!

Each suite has a living area with a couch, TV, and desk. There is a little bar area between the living area and the bedroom that has a small sink, small refrigerator, small microwave, and personal-size coffee maker. The bed has lots of fluffy pillows, a large flat-screen TV, sink with mirror, dresser, and armoire. The bathroom amenities include shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and 2 bars of soap. The towels are thick and thirsty and very nice.

If your rate includes their made-to-order breakfast, you are in for a welcome treat. First, there is a breakfast bar that has hot oatmeal with toppings like brown sugar and syrup, a bowl full of fresh-cut melons, and an assortment of fresh fruits (apples, oranges, and bananas). The make-to-order counter has a chef who will make you fresh eggs to order or omelets to order with a good selection of add-ins such as spinach, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, sausage, etc. Your plate is topped off with your choice of bacon strips, sausage links, and home fries. There is a self-serve juice and coffee bar, as well.

The staff is very friendly. I once checked into a room that had a strong odor of cigarette smoke (it is a non-smoking hotel, but that doesn't mean everyone follows that rule) and I asked for a room change. The room change was accommodated instantly.

I have never had a chance to try out the pool. I did, however, try to use the workout room but could not figure out how to use the treadmill. I'm pretty mechanical, but I couldn't get it to pull up even a basic program. They should post simple how-to instructions to assist guests.

There is a restaurant onsite. I've only eaten there once (I had the chicken caesar salad) and it was very good, but the menu is limited and a little pricey. It's not too pricey if you're tired and in a hurry, however, there are other restaurants in the area, also.

Less than a mile away, easily within walking distance, is the Crabtree Mall. There are several restaurants, including PF Changs, and the Cheesecake Factory. There is a restaurant called McCormick and Schmidt's that I will never go to again because the service was terrible and the food, while good, was very over-priced. The mall offers a great venue for people watching and indoor walking for walking off all the extra calories you ate at the Cheesecake factory. :-)

The rate seems pretty high, but comprable with the area. In my case, my client pays for my room and they have a corporate discount.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the service elevator. I believe those are suites ending in 17, 18, or 19.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay here because of the Hilton reputation and our positive experiences at other Embassy Suites.

The hotel is conveniently located right across from the Crabtree mall. It is also about a 7 minute drive to downtown. Great location.

Happy hour-Complimentary happy hour was disappointing. Our choice of draught beer was kept in a pitcher for efficiency. While I understand this is efficient for the drink tenders, our beer was half flat. Yuck.

Breakfast-This hotel boasts a "made to order" breakfast. Prepare to wait in line. During the week there is no access to prepared scrambled eggs, bacon, or pancakes. For this you must wait in line. During our stay there was one chef (bless her heart). My Husband waited for the better part of 30 minutes on a weekday morning. They should really make hot breakfast more accessible.

Rooms-The room service was immaculate. Cleaned well every day. Our room had a GIANT return air vent that kept me up most nights because I am a light sleeper. Our door had about a 2 inch gap so all could be heard from the hall. And our window view was the air conditioner units on the building.

There was no access to fresh drinking water. They turn off the machines that dispense water during the day, and the water fountain was broken. I let someone at the front desk know, but it was still broken when we left. I was told I could purchase a water. I just wanted to fill my water bottle up.

I thought it was strange there is no garbage can outside. We were cleaning out our garbage from the carf and I had to walk inside by the bar to throw it out. Get an outdoor garbage pail?

Very mediocre. Spend your money at the Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank GlassHalfFull17
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Fairly typical Embassy Suites. If you can get one of their rates around $90-$100 for a family, it's a good value with the suite room and large breakfast. Crabtree Mall is very close and offers a lot of good restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed here one night for business. Common areas are very old and in need of updating. The room was updated and very nice. Convenient location - somewhat confusing parking garage for parking. Would probably try somewhere else next time but it was fine.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business