“Not what I expected”

Americas Best Value Inn Crabtree Raleigh
Ranked #45 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed December 7, 2013

After reading raving reviews for this hotel I tried my luck here and was gravely disappointed. The man at the reception was disorganized and indifferent when I was there. It took awhile for him finding a pen to sign and he wasn't helpful when I asked for a map. Maybe he was under stress or had an off day but I did not feel welcome by him.

The room itself on the upper level had alot of space. But it was an old room. It's clearly lower class despite having upgraded the counter in the bathroom. I didn't like the brown-beige and green wall color in the room very much.The walls are in dire of a new paintjob. I saw chinks, stains, scratches and even a chunkhole in the wall which decreases the rooms overall atmosphere. To prove my claims I hope you can see the photos clearly that I have uploaded here. Ceiling was peeling off in some spots making the place feel more run down as it is. TV is probably from the 90's. It's just very outdated and of terrible quality.

Breakfast was meager and uninviting. But I knew beforehand you can't expect much of a meal within this price category. You luckily have the Crabtree Mall within a minute drive. Sorry but I can not recommend staying here unless you really get a good deal and are not planning on staying more than a night. Do not be fooled by the "excellent" reviews.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
ABVICrabtree, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Crabtree Raleigh, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I am glad you decided to give us a try and post your thoughts about the hotel. Our staff tries to offer exceptional service all the time and we hold high standard for all our staff members. We do apologize that you felt the way you did about the front desk representative who welcomed you.

We constantly strive to offer value by providing clean rooms and comfortable beds, as our property is aging, we are doing our best to correct issues as it arises. We appreciate you pointing out the cosmetic issues.

Again, as with any economy tier hotel, our breakfast is basic standard continental breakfast, but we offer hot waffle, oatmeal, three types of cereal, bread, pastries, coffee and tea as part of our breakfast. Keep in mind, most economy hotels do not offer breakfast at all in the same price range.

Our hotel offers the best value in the area for the quality we provide.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were there 11/12/13 to 11/15/13. We were very disappointed. The room was ok but nothing extra. The hotel is obviously lower grade. The breakfast area was very bad and the eating area cold and uninviting. Many construction workers occupying the hotel and many unsavory characters around. Cigarette smell very prevalent. We left after three days and went to a much better hotel nearby. There are five other hotel in the area and this one is the worst!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

You are correct, we are entry based economy hotel, we do not try to sell our hotel as upscale 3 star or 4 star hotel. Our value resides in the amenity we offer and the price point we offer at. We have wide verity of guests that stays here and due to construction sites near by, our main clientele on weekdays are construction workers and business travelers who are looking for clean rooms at an affordable price. One of the thing about our hotel is that we offer non-smoking and smoking rooms.

We apologize you did not find us best suited as per your requirements, but we consistently strive to add value with great quality.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I read the excellent reviews and decided to give this ABVI a try and, at the same time, save a wheelbarrow full of money.

When I first arrived, Hirsh and his father, Barat, were welcoming. They were pleasant, bright and seemed confident, that confidence you have when you are good at what you do.

I went to the room and it was clean. It not only looked clean, it felt clean. Every fixture and appliance worked as it should...perfectly. The walls must be solid because I didn't hear my neighbors any of the four nights I was at the hotel.

Also, the beds...I could not believe how comfortable the beds were in the two rooms I slept in. For the amount of money I paid for a room in the area, I would have expected to be sleeping on something that was slightly more comfortable than concrete. The beds at this ABVI are the type you find in much more expensive hotels.

The bathrooms were clean and the hot water ran hot.

Some of the issues I did have were quickly resolved. The first was when one of my neighbors was smoking (in a non-smoking room) and the smoke was coming through the walls, I contacted Hirsh and he corrected the situation.

Also, I changed my plans and ended up staying an extra night. Either because of a human or technical error, there was a problem getting me the room I wanted, however, within 25 minutes, the problem was corrected.

In some of the other reviews I read, previous guests had complained. Life is not perfect and this hotel is not the Marriott or the Ritz, but you aren't paying $200 to $600 a night either.

I highly recommend this hotel. You will be paying a much lower rate than the other hotels in the area, your basic needs will be taken care of and you will be treated very well.

Food: For the malnourished, there is a McDonald's across the street. For those who want better food, there is a mall within walking distance that has several restaurants outside (on the hotel side) and several more inside. Also, Hirsh is a foodie and has excellent recommendations for restaurants around the area. Over the past 7 years, I have visited Raleigh 4 times. Each time I find a new restaurant with outstanding food. Hirsh know a few of them.

Room Tip: I am a light sleeper and wanted an end room on the opposite side of the upper parking. I was able t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DBMcC1

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time out and writing a review. We always appreciate our guest's feedback about how we are doing and what we can do to better ourselves everyday.

We have an excellent staff in place to take care of all our guests need and our staff being local are always in touch with the surrounding area.

We also appreciate your honesty and your perspective when judging our hotel's stand point in the surrounding market.

I hope that you keep returning to our hotel and spreading the word. Thank you!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I ask myself who reviews these places? What standards do they have? I entered this place and was reminded of a cheap motel in a third world country. It smelt dingy, the breakfast area was uninviting and loveless and breakfast was non- existent. I found 3 pieces of old sliced bread and some Danish pastries, 3 little marmalade individual packages, no margerine and Cheerios that looked like they had been there since last Christmas. Watery coffee in plastic cups and that was it. They certainly know how to save every cent! $64 per night was a rip off for that.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank GTKind

Dear Valued Guests,

We kindly appreciate you taking the time out to review our hotel. I apologize if the breakfast was not up to your standard. As being an economy hotel we only offer standard continental breakfast.

We are not 3 star or 4 star hotel and we certainly do not try to sell ourselves as upscale hotel. We keep our amenities basic to add value who are looking for clean rooms and value price point. Most of the hotels in the area are significantly more expensive than we are.

Our hotel guests include businessmen, construction workers, parents visiting kids in college and tourists from out of country who seeks value and clean rooms.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This hotel provides a tremendous value and has a fantastic location. I recently moved to the Raleigh area. Due to a lag between the time I sold my home and the time that construction of my new house was completed, I had to select a hotel that was convenient, secure, and clean for me and my family to call home for several weeks. We researched area hotels on Trip Advisor and decided to give this hotel a try. We were not disappointed. The reviews are accurate and the hotel was perfect for our situation. Located across the street from Crabtree Valley Mall and in close proximity to many parks as well as I-440, this hotel was in a perfect location. The rooms are spacious, clean, and have been updated. I strongly recommend checking out the Americas Best Value Inn at Crabtree when you are in Raleigh.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank realgamecock1
ABVICrabtree, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Crabtree Raleigh, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Greatly appreciate your time to write a review.

As you stated, great value, clean rooms, great staff and location for the price you paid. We are blessed to be in proximity of all major attraction and easy access to I-440.

Not only is our location great, but we are blessed with great staff as well.

Looking forward to your next stay at our hotel

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Booked for 2 nights, liked it so ended up staying 4 nights. NW Raleigh, handy for area with good road links to downtown Raleigh, the Triangle area and NCSU. Reasonable room rates and a nice, well run hotel. Less expensive than those surrounding. Breakfast well stocked by girl on reception but ran out of stuff when guy ws on - that morning had to go to McDs which is closeby. Flatscreen tv, fridge, good sized room. Comfortable. Only downside was no lift, so if you have mobility issues, ask for ground floor.

Room Tip: No lift. We were on top floor but if you have mobility issues ask for room on same floor as receptio...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rev_Stephen

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for feedback regarding your stay with us. It really lets us know that we have been doing our best to keep our guests happy and to know the value they find by staying with us.

Please visit us again so we can continue to provide you with best value.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The reviews are correct, this is the place to stay for a great value. Finally nice to get more for my money than I expected. Also the waffles in the complimentary continental breakfast was delicious!

I was upgraded to a room with a flat screen tv. My room was super clean, spacious, and very quiet. The staff was very accomodating and pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank robertsmf33

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review about our hotel. It really means a lot to us to know we have satisfied our guests.

I am glad you've found the value you were looking for by staying at our hotel and thank you for staying with us.