“Don't get the quail!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of J Betski's

J Betski's
Reserve with OpenTable
J Betski's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 1,439 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: German, European, Central European, Polish
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Durham, NC
“Don't get the quail!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

We tried to go to J. Betski's for my birthday and were turned away because we did not have reservations. So for our anniversary we made reservations and went with our thirteen year old. The atmosphere was very cold; they could stand to heat the dining room better or cover the large expanse of windows. We sat near the tables that seat over four people and there were two groups of extremely raucous people that spoke and laughed so loudly we could hardly hear ourselves. If you don't want this experience, sit on the side of the room near the metal wall sculptures. The beer was the best I've ever had, but the menu was in German and we couldn't understand it. My daughter did not know how to order and none of us got what we thought we were ordering. My food was good but the schnitzle (spelling?) tasted like Tyson chicken patties - good but not worth $18.00. The potato salad and sauer cabbage were very good. The absolute worst thing though was my poor daughter's food. She ordered the quail thinking it would be like a Cornish hen. When it came it was about the size of an aborted canary. It was ringed by five or six pieces of tasteless blue cheese. We had to take her to McDonalds afterwards because she was still hungry. I don't think we will be returning any time soon. There is supposed to be a German place in Cary. I think we will try that next.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Raleigh, NC
“Very yummy. I will be back. A bit pricey, but a great place for special occasions.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

Raleigh, NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“German Food in Raleigh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

I finally made it to Betskis and everything was outstanding. We went on a Monday night and did not have reservations. The restaurant filled up almost completely which surprised me for a Monday. The two seater tables are very close together and we asked to sit at a 4 seat table. There is an excellent beer selection and we knew what we liked but also took input from the servers - all good recommendations. We split a roasted beet salad, then each had an entree. I had the schnitzel which was just the way it should be. Both of us took home half of the dinners each. Too full for dessert but all of them looked good. I can't wait to go back.

North Carolina
“Great meal- can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

Went to J Betski's this past weekend. Got there early (5:30) and had a drink at the bar, with a 6 pm dinner reservation. They have some interesting beers on tap. My hubby got a smoky dark beer that was excellent, and my Pomegranate Margarita was perfect. The restaurant filled up fast, so I'm glad we had a reservation. We were seated at our requested time and the service was outstanding. Our waiter was knowledgeable had ready answers for my questions. Our starters were a Fresh Knackwurst with Sauerkraut and spicy mustards (a special), and the Smoked Pork and Cambozola Pierogies with Apple - Curry Sauce. Both were perfectly prepared (how will I ever face canned Sauerkraut again?)

My entree was Pork Schnitzel with a side of Lingonberry compote, Austrian Potatos and Dill Cucumber Salad. The pork had a nice crisp coating, and the Lingonberry sauce went beautifully with it.The potatoes were served as slices and were exactly done. The cucumber dill salad was an excellent compliment to the meal. I ate every bite on my plate. The portion size was such that I was fully satisfied, yet felt like I could squeeze in a dessert without being uncomfortable - which I did, having the Chocolate - Chestnut Rice Pudding with Spiced Sabayon - delicious!

My husband's entree was the Duck Confit, Polish White Bean and Sausage Stew, and Cider Braised Cabbage. He was completely satisified with his meal. I am not a fan of duck, so I only had a small taste and it was good. I wish I had tasted the stew and cabbage. The couple at the table next to us had the stuffed chicken breast - which was a nice size portion and looked great. From their favorable comments, I know that I will order it on my next visit.

We had a wonderful meal with excellent service and the prices were extremely reasonable. I'm very glad I chose to try this restaurant, and we will definately be back!

Portland, Oregon
“Flavorful and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2009

I don't eat meat, but I still found this to be a great restaurant. I got a beet salad with horseradish quark that was fantastic. It was larger than expected and had quite a lot of field greens as well. The waitress said it was small and convinced me to order potato and cheese pierogies also. Though the salad was large enough for lunch, I'm glad I tried the pierogies. They were absolutely delicious. Lots of flavor, salt, butter, and clearly not healthy. But this isn't a restaurant you go to for health food- you go for meat, or in my case, a delicious salad. If you are a vegetarian, there are very limited but excellent options.