“Not a good experience for us”
Review of Centro

Centro
Ranked #75 of 1,526 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Centro was born from the hearts of Angela Salamanca and her uncle, Carlos, who shared a love for art, and fresh, authentic Mexican cuisine. We pride ourselves on using as many fresh, organic and local ingredients as possible to provide you with healthy, flavorful food as well as to support our local farmers. Our mission is to serve you the best locally-sourced Mexican and Latin American cuisine, innovative margaritas and cocktails, and to give back to our wonderful community.
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were missing Mexican on a trip and this place sounded good. Parking is available across the street in downtown Raleigh.

They take reservations, and I suggest you make them as there was a line when we left. We called ahead and were seated immediately. Sadly it turned out to be between two noisy tables that were too close to begin with. Needless to say we felt like we were hearing one very private conversation on one side and were subjected to annoying children on the other side. Sigh.

After ordering tea, we asked for sweetener, only to be told they don't do sweetener anymore, but could offer agave. Sigh.

The food was more authentic mexican but unlike the authentic Mexican we know, it was very spicy. I had fish tacos, but the tortillas were soggy. Sigh.

Our waitress was attentive, and we did not feel rushed to leave. The place is decorated in a very quirky way that seems to fit the staff and clientele.

The meal was pricey. My meal was just ok. It wasn't bad, but I've had better.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

If you are looking for the $5.95 speedy Gonzales special this is not the place for you. This is one of my favorite restaurants because it is so unique. The food is always fresh and delicious. Entrées are usually around $12-$14. It is quite dark in the restaurant so it is not a place to hold a meeting where you have to do any kind of reading. It is an awesome place for a date. I have never taken the children there. Mostly because it is expensive and I would love to have a margarita!
If the menu says the food is spicy believe it. I ordered the Chiliqilles one time and almost couldn't eat them. They were so delicious I simply had to.
If there is something you don't like be sure to ask your waiter if it comes on the dish. All of the ingredients are not listed on the menu. For example my husband hates sour cream and there is usually a sour cream sauce drizzled on top. I love it but he has often forgotten to ask them to leave it off.
I highly recommend this restaurant. I also recommend getting there early if you were planning on eating dinner. Anlatent later than 630 on the weekend and plan
to wait.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We were pleased to find this authentic little Mexican restaurant tucked in downtown Raleigh. Very good food, although it is high priced for what you get. Example, Steak tacos: 2 tacos, approx 2 oz. steak each, 1/2 cup refried black beans and 1/2 cup cilantro rice. $14. Chips & Salsa are an extra $3.50. Overall, authentic food and atmosphere. We will be back!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Went to this place when we had friends and family in town. This place is very small with around 15-20 tables so if your going with a group larger then four make sure you have time to wait and drink. The walls are covered with mexican flare and has a nice hip feel to it. The food was a bit pricey but very good. If you are not in a rush and want a place to get good mexican food and not on a budget this is a great choice.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Hands down get the street tacos and the Chilaquiles. The Chilaquiles are to die for!!!!