“Used to be better”
Review of Midtown Grille

Midtown Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Midtown Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #173 of 1,493 Restaurants in Raleigh
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lassiter Mill Road
Transit: Bus stop is 40 yards from front of restaurant.
Description: Midtown is a sophisticated restaurant tucked away in The Lassiter at North Hills, at 4421-115 Six Forks Road in Raleigh. Chef Ben Harris' menu, an elegant presentation of progressive southern cuisine utilizes the best local produce & N.C. seafood. The restaurant features a stylish dining area offering distinctive wine selections from around the globe.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have been going to Midtown for years now...probably been a little more than a dozen times. I used to think this was a great place to take a date because it was a little more upscale, had great wines to choose from and the food was good. However, my wife and I have been twice this year and are less than impressed with how things are going there lately. It still has a good atmosphere but the value of what you pay vs what you get has fallen off the edge of the map. The menu is fairly limited (around 12x things to pick from) and ranges from $20-30/entree. I had the salmon last time we went and don't get me wrong, it was ok, but a medium size cut (~8oz) came with about four forkfuls of sides. We spent roughly $60 with tip and both of us left starving. Maybe Im a little over critical since I used to like Midtown quite a bit but its not worth the cost now in my opinion.

1  Thank NCBLT

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I went to Midtown Grille for our Anniversary and were looking forward to having a nice evening at a pretty restaurant with a good menu. I made a reservation on Open Table for 6pm on a Saturday night, letting them know that it was our anniversary and asking only for a table where neither of us faced the wall (many, if not most of the tables there have half of your party facing the wall). The first person at the hostess stand completely ignored us. After just a short period, though, the official hostess came forward, looked up our reservation, and took us directly to a table that not only faced a wall, but faced into a corner. So I politely asked for what I had originally reserved. Scowling the whole time, she seated us in the back corner instead. We just let it go at that point, wanting to enjoy the evening. When our waiter came up, he joked that we must have done something bad to get this table. We echoed his thoughts and he went to try and get a better table for us. The hostess refused, though, saying that others were coming for those tables. HELLO! Weren't we already there wanting the table? And it was early evening, when the restaurant was barely 20% full.

Our waiter, Craig, was wonderful the whole evening, though. He even provided a free desert for our trouble and offered that he would make sure we had a good table the next time we came, if we called and asked for him when we made our reservation. We really appreciate his offer and considered it, but the truth is that the food isn't good enough for the price you pay to warrant having to go way out of your way to get a decent table.

3  Thank shellygirl
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We are frequent diners here and are always so pleased with our meal and the service. It is not overly pretentious like some. The dishes are well thought out and beautifully presented. This is a go-to favorite. If the rabbit gumbo is on any part of the menu, try it. You will be happy you did.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

4 of 5 stars (very good, fine dining)

(see explanation of ratings below)

Wines appear to be marked up anywhere from 120 to 67% from retail. Caymus Conundrum marked up 120%; Phelps Insignia just 67%. That's a $150 bottle right next door at Total Wine, so pay the $20 corkage fee and save $80 rather than buying it at the restaurant.

No entrées priced less than twenty bucks, so this qualifies as fine dining (although "high-end casual" might be a better label).

Ordered the grilled romaine and was disappointed to see it hacked into bits (didn't they use to serve it whole?).

Olive tapenade on crostini was way too salty.

Still, Chef Scott James rarely disappoints and this remains a fave with us.

Allow 60-80 minutes (no dessert).

About $45-$55 per person (no dessert).

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food and "fast-casual" (no table service).

2) casual dining (table service, average entrée price: $10-$20).

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, average entrée priced at more than $20).

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Upscale and Relaxed atmosphere. Excellent service from a fine friendly staff. Interesting menu choices. Thoroughly enjoyable evening

Been to Midtown Grille? Share your experiences!