“The Big Easy can be a Big Flop”

The Big Easy Downtown
Ranked #162 of 1,465 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The Big Easy can be a Big Flop”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My friend and I have our monthly girls night out and we like to try new places. The service from Ryan was great, he was friendly and attentive. However, we ordered the Alligator bites. I asked if it was fresh or frozen, he seemed a little confused about my question. So I left my assumption as it was boxed frozen and fried. I ordered the 3 cheese ravioli, it had a strong gouda, feta, blue cheese taste and smell. I couldn't finish it because it was SO overpowering (I wouldn't recommend this dish). She ordered the Shrimp Creole, it was a mound of rice and about 8 shrimp. She stated her plate was tasty but would prefer more shrimp for the amount of rice that was given. Dessert was good (brownie with carmel walnuts, and icream) Overall it was a hit and miss.

• Visited July 2013

MA
“Cajun Catfish Dinner”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was told to come here by another restaurateur when they were closing early.
I wanted something Cajun. I chose a Cajun catfish dinner that came with seasoned rice and mixed vegetables. The catfish and rice were very good. The mixed vegetables were ok.

I was not there when there was entertainment. I was early and just wanted to have a quick dinner. I was pleased with my dinner overall.

• Visited June 2013
“Pan”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Don't come here for good food. I had gumbo and jambalaya. My spouse had shrimp creole. I wouldn't recommend either dish. Atmosphere was enhanced by a sax player. A bit loud for the confined space yet it created a New Orleans style atmosphere.

“I'll pass...”
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is lovely. Love the atmosphere. The food was just ok. I had a trio of gumbo, jambalaya & shrimp creole. The alligator bites for an appetizer was pretty good. Overall I probably wouldn't recommend this place for food.

Falls Church, Virginia
“Nice Find”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very cool atmosphere; good music; great service. This was a nice change to the standard types of resturants we often come across. The shrimp and alligator bites were yummy and delicious drinks!