“Food was good, but the prices are way too high”
Review of Poole's Diner

Poole's Diner
Ranked #15 of 1,451 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Food was good, but the prices are way too high”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I thought the food was good, but not for the price you pay. Also, the menu for the day is pretty short. I got the duck with Mac-n-cheese. Like I said, the food is good, but you are going to pay 3x what it's worth.

Visited February 2012

Raleigh
“Not so great”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had been wanting to eat at Poole's Diner for some time because of the great reputation, but every time the lines were too long. Finally went tonight. We got in and it wasn't real crowded.It took about 12-15 minutes before anyone came to ask us if we wanted a drink. After we finally got a glass of wine, we ordered oysters which were great. However the dinners we orderd were not good at all. The Chicken Saltimbocca was a tough highly breaded breast of chicken fried on a bed of creamed brussel sprouts that were so salty I could hardly eat the. My friends rabbit dish was equally as dissapointing. Once the dinner was served, no one came to ask if the food was ok. After the waiter who took away more than half of our meals without saying anything, he dropped the check on the table without a word. Not good food, dissapointing service....... I will not go back, and would not recommend to a friend.

• Visited October 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice meal, not magnificent as I've heard”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have often heard that Poole's Diner is fantastic, so we finally went there on a Thursday night. You have to be looking for it, as it looks a little like it's closed and the signage is small. We arrived around 6:00 and it was already half full and when we were done with dinner, the place was full. Seating is either at the bar or at uncomfortable-looking retro kitchen tables and chairs. The beverage list and menu's are on chalk boards strategically placed wound the restaurant. The wine list is very extensive, and there are a number of bottled beers - but only two draft beers. The entree menu is limited - four choices including two fish, one chicken, and one vegetarian-like - but more options for appetizers were available. We had the fried oysters served on some type of vegetable hash to start, which were nothing special. We had the sheepshead for our entree, which was also served on the hash. It took a long time to come out and was just warm. It was lightly fried and cooked well. The portion size was on the smaller side, while the price was on the higher side ($20). I didn't like that all side dishes are ala carte, which would have added an extra $8 per entree. I don't usually count how much my dinner costs, but given that our meal and experience were just okay, we began focusing on the price instead of the dining experience. For me, it's too trendy and too much hype around it. Probably won't be going back any time soon.

• Visited October 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Good food and cocktails!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We come to Poole's often. Best for smaller parties of 2-4 people as it is always packed. Suggest large parties start early. Nice thing about the wait are the great cocktail selection and nice wine list.

Have a drink, read the menu boards and your table will be ready. Dont miss the Mac and Cheese.

“Excellent food, people, and menu.”
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful rabbit confit, pâté and specialty drinks! And I'm not one to order a specialty drink either. The scallops were incredible and perfectly cooked. Excellent seasonal menu and service.

Been to Poole's Diner? Share your experiences!